Hollywood's Hollywood Review

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Top Ten of 2013 so far

1. Star Trek Into Darkness (it had a few minor hiccups but earned this spot)
2. The Place Beyond the Pines (came out of nowhere not quite drive but still great)
3. Snitch (if this had actual backing I think it could have been an oscar contender)
4. Evil Dead (exactly what it needed to be)
5. Iron Man 3 (see above)
6. Phantom (see Review above)
7. The Number Station (Big fan of Cusack he delivers in his thriller)
8. Man of Steel (lucky to make the list honestly)
9. World War Z (so many gapping plot holes but it's a zombie movie it was fun and earned this spot)
10. Hangover 3

Worst film So Far
Great Gatsby (watch the original film)

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Should watch Manborg. It puts most of those movie to shame, and I would love to hear another's opinion on 80's nostalgia camp.

It's not about the killing, it's about family.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Looking at that list one thins is certain, its been a pretty miserable year for movies so far.

Mainstream films anyway.

Great to see TPBTP near the top, one of my favourites of the year too.

But still need to catch the likes of Iron Man 3, Star Trek and Gatsby all of which I am excited about.

Are you going to be seeing the Internship? Think that looks a entertaining comedy with two reliable comic leads at least doing something different.

Also the recent Tina Fey comedy Admission is worth a look.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I avoided a lot of stuff for the internship but admit its starting to look pretty good.

Also watched 42 yesterday its now at least third

Film is amazing and Harrison Ford gives one hell of a performance I'd say it's Oscar worthy but I think Ford will be one of those people that never wins. Alan Tudyk does an amazing performance also I'd hate to have been in his shoes having to play Ben Chapman. The leads are both unknowns a casting decision I really like.

My Reviews will now start containing spoilers
If they are major I'll put them under spoiler tags It's just to hard to write reviews without more plot details.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I avoided a lot of stuff for the internship but admit its starting to look pretty good.

Also watched 42 yesterday its now at least third

Film is amazing and Harrison Ford gives one hell of a performance I'd say it's Oscar worthy but I think Ford will be one of those people that never wins. Alan Tudyk does an amazing performance also I'd hate to have been in his shoes having to play Ben Chapman. The leads are both unknowns a casting decision I really like.

My Reviews will now start containing spoilers
If they are major I'll put them under spoiler tags It's just to hard to write reviews without more plot details.

Depending on the role Ford could still do it, can see Michael Dougus at least getting a norm for Behind the Candlehabra for example.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Olympus has Fallen

It's not the shitactular that I was expecting. Actually it came off as someone watched a 24 marathon and decided to make a movie out of it or perhaps their season was scrapped. It's got some issues but nothing to major its a trip to the video store type of movie or if you have a redbox outside the grocery store that could be handy too. It's very reminiscent of Executive Decision where the cast is a bit stacked but most of them die rather quickly. Again if you're bored with nothing to do it's a decent action movie. Don't go in expecting to much out of it.

2 4/10's

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The Lone Ranger

This isn't your mom and dads lone ranger by any means. The story starts off with old Tonto explaining the story of the mask. The story has a few funny moments some great action. But it has some major flaws, to me it feels like a movie made for kids similar to the Pacifier but then it has scenes really out on a ledge. This combined with numerous plot gaps (either failing at being funny or just failing) and jokes that just miss the mark like the Carnivorous rabbits and the horse always being in an impossible spot. Some of these elements are purely poking fun at the original but it comes off disrespectful and dumb. The movie entertains though not for the reasons you'd expect it's worth a look but you may want to save it for renta.

2 1/2 4/10's

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Odd Thomas

It's based on a Dean Koontz novel I've never read but this movie is one of those lower budget movies most people don't hear about. And it's pretty amazing it's essentially similar to Constantine but in my opinion so much better. I've actually picked up the sequel book at the library I enjoyed it so much. Willem Dafoe and Anton Yelchin both wonderful actors and both pretty good at your lower budget movies. It's directed by Stephen Sommers which should warn you away he's done films like GI Joe, The Mummy, Van Helsing, pretty much those big budget blockbusters that never quite live up to the hype. This movie shows exactly why he got to do those movies though. I'm not even sure how I came across it but if you do I'd recommend giving it a view.

4 *

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Odd Thomas

It's based on a Dean Koontz novel I've never read but this movie is one of those lower budget movies most people don't hear about. And it's pretty amazing it's essentially similar to Constantine but in my opinion so much better. I've actually picked up the sequel book at the library I enjoyed it so much. Willem Dafoe and Anton Yelchin both wonderful actors and both pretty good at your lower budget movies. It's directed by Stephen Sommers which should warn you away he's done films like GI Joe, The Mummy, Van Helsing, pretty much those big budget blockbusters that never quite live up to the hype. This movie shows exactly why he got to do those movies though. I'm not even sure how I came across it but if you do I'd recommend giving it a view.

4 *

The first Mummy I did enjoy, but that might have been more for the characters than the director. Might give this a look, not sure, big fan of Defoe.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
R.I.P.D.

I got exactly what I expected good action comedy in the vain of MIB actually now that I think about it almost exactly the same. Jeff Bridges really ties the movie together. I can see a few sequels coming out of this and I expect it to do well when it hits store shelves. They leave a nice opening for a sequel to but not in such a way that it ruins a movie. It's not even necessary to use that to make a sequel I just think that's what Id do with the tidbit. If your hoping Bridges is a known law man you'll be disappointed. There is a brief moment of billy goating

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The Wolverine

Well it's better than Origins which isn't a tough task by any standard. If you're expecting anyone from the rest of the Xmen Universe (already established) you're not going to get it except for Jean Grey and those moment in my opinion were pretty bad. Aside from that the rest of the movie was pretty good. I say pretty good because this Wolverine seems to be far more serious than we've ever seen him before maybe a quip or two and the rest of it is pretty angst ridden it's still good and in the line of Xmen movies probably 2nd or 3rd best. It'll be really interesting to see what Days of Future Past does with everything they have going on. There is a mid Credit scene

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Pain and Gain

As you can tell I watched a few too many movies when they came out and had a hump for some to get on video. I'll start this out saying Micheal Bay I'm usually never impressed. But this time is different. This movie is fun. It's not his normal explosion fest but it comes off as him having fun filming a movie with some of his friends. It's got action, comedy and it's balanced the fact that it's based somewhat on a true story makes parts of it even funnier. It even includes a Kurt cameo which made me laugh as Kurt will probably be where we see him soon. It's a good waste of two hours and it's easy to forget it's Bay Really shocked at the non casting of Megan Fox as she could have fit right in but it's worth a watch just for the silliness of the whole thing.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Drinking Buddies

It's one of those slice of life movies. It's about two couples that hang out one of the guys has a thing for one of the girls. As I said it's a slice of life thing everyone gives good performances, the cameras a bit two shaky at times but nothing horribly disturbing. The problem with the movie is it's a slice of life and if it hasn't happened to you it either will or it will to someone you know. That kind of makes it seem bland and a waste of time.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
All The Boys Like Mandy Lane

Apparently this movie was released 7 years ago at a film festival but never made it to an actual release. Unfortunately in the years sense this year seems to a model for a lot of movies I feel I've seen it before. It's good and it's got the twists and turns you expect from a horror film. It stars Amber Heard and much of the movie is about how much you want to see her nude (you don't). It's before she was a great actress you can see how she's going to get good but it's not all their in this film. If you want to see a horror film have at it but it's nothing to go out of your way for.