Hollywood's Hollywood Review

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Man of Steel

While it was a good superhero movie. It was a bad Superman movie. They just changed things that didn't need to be messed with, now I understand make changes to make him more relatable but that isn't what they changed.
So Kevin Costner spends his section of the movie telling Clark to hide his powers his identity and even sacrafices himself to keep with that. This gets ignored throughout the entirity of the rest of the movie. Lois Lane, The Government and just about everyone see Clark without any attempts of disguising himself.
I really can't give a review of this movie without giving a lot away. I watched the originals just before Man of Steel and even though they are very dated and a bit campier than I remember I'd take the first two over Man of Steel any day.

WRONG!

There was never a direct mention of anything about him to the military or "just about everyone." The government just assumed he was exactly like Zod, they actually kind of ignored the fact that he was always there, and Lois never corroborated with anyone that her sources were correct, hence all the insane number of names he had, so nobody had an actual lead to follow up on. Lois did know, sure... but there are a number of arcs where she knows who he is. But to your point about Costner, he says keep it a secret until the time is right.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
WRONG!

There was never a direct mention of anything about him to the military or "just about everyone." The government just assumed he was exactly like Zod, they actually kind of ignored the fact that he was always there, and Lois never corroborated with anyone that her sources were correct, hence all the insane number of names he had, so nobody had an actual lead to follow up on. Lois did know, sure... but there are a number of arcs where she knows who he is. But to your point about Costner, he says keep it a secret until the time is right.

Actually Costner never says it on screen they claim he says it at the end. Great wrtiting their.

Originals are still better. Hell I'm willing to bet if I watch Returns that it'll be better. Even though I think Henry Cavill did a great job.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Actually Costner never says it on screen they claim he says it at the end. Great wrtiting their.

Originals are still better. Hell I'm willing to bet if I watch Returns that it'll be better. Even though I think Henry Cavill did a great job.
He doesn't say it directly, but think about when Kal saved the bus. He asked if he should have let them drown and Costner tells him "probably." He told him the world wouldn't know how to react. He also told him when he showed him the capsule, that he was born to be great and sent to Earth by his father for a reason, and in time he would realize what that reason was.

IDK, I thoroughly enjoyed it and intend on seeing it again. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it. But I feel like most people are reaching for excuses not to like this movie. Also not wise to go in comparing it to the other films...

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
He doesn't say it directly, but think about when Kal saved the bus. He asked if he should have let them drown and Costner tells him "probably." He told him the world wouldn't know how to react. He also told him when he showed him the capsule, that he was born to be great and sent to Earth by his father for a reason, and in time he would realize what that reason was.

IDK, I thoroughly enjoyed it and intend on seeing it again. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it. But I feel like most people are reaching for excuses not to like this movie. Also not wise to go in comparing it to the other films...

The lines you say in the spoiler are another issue. I have things flip flopped oddly.

Gotta compare it to something that's why Returns never took off. Don't get me wrong there were things I really enjoyed but there were a few issues. Those few issues I find really big. Will I watch a sequel yes and I hope that the sequel takes a look at these issues and tries to plug up the holes.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
yeah that's a completely false statement. Most of your better actors make less because their character actors while big names with lesser skill get the bigger paycheck just cause that make the pants drop SEE Will Smith Brad Pitt compare their skills to John C Reiley

I agree with you but I consider the likes of those you mentioned in JTGS to be character actors.

As for Man of Steel think I might wait for the DVD or something. It is an impressive cast, but am not a fan of the director and Superman doesn't interest me in the same way as Batman or Spiderman.

Kevin Spacey stole Superman Returns, at the time I quite enjoyed that film, but looking back now it possibly was a bit avenge. Liked the older films more.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Ewan is very hit and miss he and Tucci are very high priced character actors. I'm not a snyder or nolan fan so I don't know why I was expecting more.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Ewan is very hit and miss he and Tucci are very high priced character actors. I'm not a snyder or nolan fan so I don't know why I was expecting more.

More down to some of his film choices than his talent imo.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The Phantom

This is a little known about Submarine movie starring David Duchovny, Willam Ficthner, and Ed Harris. I'm not sure why it didn't get more publicity as the cast and acting is phenomenal. It was all over Hollywood when I was out there. The story is one of those Inspired by true events that you've never heard of type deal, though it seems a little sci fi for the 60s. The only flaws I could really attribute to it is the fact that it's in a submarine I'm a fan of these movies but they really all feel the same for the most part we're on a tiny sub shit people shooting at us. I'm going to go at it with the captain threaten to throw him in the brig. They do seem repetitive in that way but it's unique to see them make the differences, and again the acting is superb.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Anything with Fox in has be worth at least one viewing!

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The Lords of Discipline

Great movie from the 80s set in the 60's with an all star cast of Character actors. It involves a military school in the south during the 60s the main plot revolves around the racism involving the schools first black student. It's pretty powerful stuff involving a secret society. And the student assigned to protecting the student. While the movie is dated it could easily be applied to today. The cast includes Micheal Biehn, Bill Paxton, Judge Reinhold, and David Keith. It's definitely an underrated film and I'd go so far as to claim it's a must see.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The Purge

Wow not sure how this movie made it off the B Movie Rental shelves and into theaters. Now don't get me wrong if it's movie night and you go to the video store your like I've seen all these so you grab the purge that's acceptable. But if you go to the theater and your like hmm what should I watch the purge isn't an acceptable answer even if you have seen everything. Turn around and go to the damn video store. It's just the type of movie that isn't worth the $30 dollars for two people the drive time etc. It's worth the maybe $10 you'd spend grabbing a pizza and renting it. It's not that its a bad film it's just not good enough.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I personally hate the concept of the purge. Just screams like they are looking for an excuse to make a thriller.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ Plus its from the producers of Insiduious which should send anyone running in the other direction.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Everyone was looking forward to The Purge so much at least around here, and the concept was kind of appealing to me and I like the cast, but once I saw the 85 minute runtime and a trailer, I lost all interest. Glad it was bad tbh because saying "I told you so" is fun.