Edge- A legend?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CT Styles

Shawn Michaels is my favorite of all-time but Mike is right.

If you looked over Edge's accomplishments and Michaels' without any prior knowledge, you'd automatically think Edge was the better wrestler.

mancilla 86

Reaction score
i personally think edge is a joke as a champion..ever since turning heel he has yet to put on a good match..I used to be an edge head before but now he doesnt even try..his moves are nothing compared to before, plus his title reigns last weeks and has never defended his title or won the title fairly he always cheats..I HATE EDGE! and dont say its his character or hes trying to be entertaining! at least before HHH did it with class

CT Styles

Eh, I rank quality over quantity.

Yes, so do I however like I said, look at the two mens' accomplishments..

Edge: 8 time World Champion, 12 time Tag Team Champion, 5 time IC Champion.

Michaels: 4 time World Champion, 3 time Intercontinental Champion, 4 time Tag Team Champion.

Without any prior knowledge, who're you going to pick?

Airfixx

If Koko B Ware was HOF-bound, you bet your ass Edge is a lock and will be remembered as one of the best of his era in WWE.

HOWEVER, Edge could really do with a succesful singles run as a face at some point... THEN perhaps I'd be open to comparing him to all the Uber-legends (even then I doubt I'd end up concurring that he'd actually reached their level).

As for "most decorated".... Guys, guys, guys.... As Mike Raw is saying "most decorated" isn't a debatable term and has nothing to do with the quality or length of the title reign. ---->>

The Rated R CMStar

ever since turning heel he has yet to put on a good match..

Every Cena vs Edge and Edge vs Taker match say hello

..his moves are nothing compared to before

Yeah, if anything, that shows his greatness, as he understands heels and faces can't wrestle the same way.

plus his title reigns last weeks and has never defended his title or won the title fairly he always cheats

Lol, you do know "creative" right?

DerrickNorth

Reaction score
Edge is definitely a legend. As a tag wrestler he made tag wrestling hot again at least for a short time. His feud with Cena has taken both men to heights that were unforeseeable when these two first started. He has perfected the art of being an opportunist, and is a multi time world champion because of it

SnackZ

Reaction score
I think Edge will be considered a legend of his time. Not one of the greatest EVER but definitely one of the best of his era. He'll go down as a top guy in the John Cena Era (which is what we are in right now). His accomplishments are incredible, especially if you take out the bullshit lackluster 5 or 6 BS world title reigns. I think he'd be seen a little better if he had 3 or 4 MEANINGFUL world title reigns. MikeRaw is correct on the decorated aspect as it clearly means actual title wins, not how credible they are. I think Edge will fall into the same league as Steamboat, Savage, Bret Hart. If you set it up in tiers I'd go:

Tier 1: Hogan, Austin, Vince, Flair, Cena
Tier 2: Andre the Giant, Piper, The Rock, HHH, HBK, Taker
Tier 3: Edge, Orton, Bret Hart, Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, Foley, Angle, etc...

I see it as the TOP Guys in their ERA as the real icons, tier 1 guys, guys who carried the business during their time or made the biggest impact on this profession, their immediate advisaries as the next in line as without them the top guys have no one to make them as good as they are and then theres the next level which has guys who just performed on a consistant level throughout their careers and made an impact on the business during a time when they weren't actually the TOP stars.

So in closing - yes Edge will be a Legend when his career is over but not someone who transcends this industry.

chessarmy

I agree that he is a great heel and an overall great wrestler. But you can't compliment him based on his title reigns, you have to remember that almost all of them came as a result of him cashing in Money in the Bank or "inserting" himself into the World Title match and stealing the championship. However, I agree with the praise you're giving Edge. He definitely turned into a star and I'm happy with the way WWE is using him. He is one of the best, no doubt, and I'm sure he'll be in the hall of fame one day

MikeRaw

I agree that he is a great heel and an overall great wrestler. But you can't compliment him based on his title reigns, you have to remember that almost all of them came as a result of him cashing in Money in the Bank or "inserting" himself into the World Title match and stealing the championship. However, I agree with the praise you're giving Edge. He definitely turned into a star and I'm happy with the way WWE is using him. He is one of the best, no doubt, and I'm sure he'll be in the hall of fame one day

Dude, are you jokin' me? Most of your post was good, but I 'cant praise him on his title reigns' cause he "stole" them? That's just part of the storyline way that he won. If he had been face, they would've let him win it in a match. The way he won it shouldn't take anything away from his accomplishments.
In a storyline sense, it makes him even better, because he would then be the most oppurtune bad guy in history, winnings tons of titles in sneaky ways,.
And in an out of character sense, it shouldn't make a difference either, because that's just the way he was booker. It's not like Bret Hart's reigns were better because he won them in a match.

Airfixx

you have to remember that almost all of them came as a result of him cashing in Money in the Bank or "inserting" himself into the World Title match and stealing the championship.

Regardless, if said reigns are no reflection on Edge's abilities then why do they they always choose Edge as the the guy for those reigns?

The guy can 'work' the strap (so to speak).... It is a ultimately a prop afterall... I know we didn't get to see much of Jeff hardy with the belt, but it was quite apparent to me that once holding it he wasn't really gonna benefit from it (nor elevate it) a great deal.

Edge EXCELLS in his role. Pure and simple. What more do you want from HIM (note: Not the bookers/writers).

noumenon

Edge is definately on the path to becoming one of the best superstars of this generation. There is no doubt that the guy has most title reigns than almost anyone on the roster right now. However... as said... most of his title reigns really haven't been all that memorable. But looking at it from a WWE standpoint, they go by the count... not the quality.
With that said Edge is definately on his way to truly becoming one of the best heels we have ever seen in the WWE, and if not THE best of this generation. I seriously think though that we haven't seen anywhere near the best of Edge yet and that he has yet to truly hit upon his true greatness.
In short to answer your question of if Edge could be a legend? Definately.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Why in the hell are people still talking about Edge's knees, and his neck for that matter? The last several (and recent) interviews Edge has done, he said he feels better now than he has in many years, and acknowledged he's taken time off for tattoo work and general recuperation time. On top of that, he's said he feels like he's got some great things built in front of him in the near and distant future.

Edge may very well be the WWE's hardest worker. The guy shows up when the E needs him to. Yeah he's had some boring matches, but he's the ULTIMATE OPPORTUNIST. That means he takes advantage of every opportunity. He's not the most athletic, strongest, biggest, faster guy in the E, so he uses what he knows to his advantage. I'd say Flair was boring if that were the case... but they use their knowledge, at opportune times. It's what makes a great ring worker... and an even better heel. Heels aren't supposed to (unless they're being complete badasses and trying to injure the opponent) try to prolong matches and go ALL out. They get in the ring, handle business, and try to get the win.

Edge is a Legend in my book. I remember marking out for the guy when he was in The Brood, thinking it was stupid to have him beneath Gangrel, then being a lackey for Undertaker in the Ministry.

BTW, if ANYONE is going to talk anything about Edge's neck... it better be because you want to find out who in the fuck broke his neck in the locker room a few years ago.

The guy is awesome as a face. He can connect with the crowd with the best of 'em. And I think he's an even better heel. I'd say easily one of the top 20 in the history of the WWE. Sure he might not be the best ever, but when he's on, he's on.

Reaction score
Edge is fucking awesome. Nothing else to say about the man's ability. He can work the stick, is more than an average worker, and has changed up his heel persona to keep it fresh quite well the past three years, while maintaining the obession for the gold angle. Some saying he hasn't been the top guy is straight nonsense. The guy has been THE focus of Smackdown for the past two years, he's always involved in the title scene. Not only has he been the top guy, he has replaced Kurt Angle as the company's go-to guy. Remember everytime the WWE needed someone to step in and take the strap from an injured worker or save a show that was lagging they called in Angle? That's what Edge has become, through the Kennedy MITB situation to save Smackdown from another boring Batista reign, to the Survivor Series Shocker, Edge is a straight blue chipper when the E needs him. He is indeed a legend.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Edge also sells a lot of merchandise, and a lot of it is quite fresh...

...and what he just did on Raw... he's obviously still got INCREDIBLE heat. People were booing Cena the entire match, then went nuts booing Edge after he attacked Cena. Conchairto ftw! Edge is incredible!