Edge- A legend?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Aside from that, he's been THE heel in WWE since 2005. No matter which show, Edge has been the main heel. And are you koking me? Foley? Big Show? No offense, but those guys are abotu 3 rungs down the latter from Edge.
Up until right around Wrestlemania 22, Triple H was still the main heel. He did miss a chunk of time in 2005, but he was the heel in the main event of Wrestlemania both those years. In 06 you can make a strong case for Edge being the top heel in the company, but you can also make a strong case for Booker T, or "King Booker" as he was called during that time. In 2007 there really wasn't a guy who you could say was "the heel" in the WWE, but if you had to choose a heel that had the best year, it's a toss up between Edge and Orton. Since 2008 it's clearly been Edge and Orton as the two top heels, but that kind of kills your argument that he has been "the heel" in the WWE, when he has someone that is right there neck and neck with him.

MikeRaw

Up until right around Wrestlemania 22, Triple H was still the main heel. He did miss a chunk of time in 2005, but he was the heel in the main event of Wrestlemania both those years. In 06 you can make a strong case for Edge being the top heel in the company, but you can also make a strong case for Booker T, or "King Booker" as he was called during that time. In 2007 there really wasn't a guy who you could say was "the heel" in the WWE, but if you had to choose a heel that had the best year, it's a toss up between Edge and Orton. Since 2008 it's clearly been Edge and Orton as the two top heels, but that kind of kills your argument that he has been "the heel" in the WWE, when he has someone that is right there neck and neck with him.

I can't call HHH the main heel at that time. HHH was the main heel until WM25, when he lost to Batista. After that, he was healthy until Backlash, then gone til late May, then there til Vengeance (June) and then gone til October, and when he returned, he was in midcard feuds, until he squared off with Cena leading to WM22, at which time he was more of a tweener, because the fans hardly even booed him.
I'd say Edge was the top heel for 05, and like you also said, 2006 was as well... I don't see how you say there wasn't a top heel in 2007? In 2007, his feuds with Undertaker carried SD, and even anchored the PPV's, because Raw was highlighted by Cena vs Khali. Edge was the top heel in 2007, and like you said, also in 2008 and 2009. So if we agree to him being top heel since 2006, that's at least 3 years. I also think he was the top heel in 2005, which IMO puts him at 4 years as the top heel. Orton is still second fiddle to Edge. Not by much though, not much at all.

Moonlight Drive

Triple H was way bigger than Edge at the time, and I don't see how Ric Flair is a mid-card feud.

MikeRaw

Triple H was way bigger than Edge at the time, and I don't see how Ric Flair is a mid-card feud.
Edge was by far the most hated man in WWE at the time. All of 2005 was basically unreal heat for Edge, while HHH, despite how much of an awesome heel he was, couldn't match his heat.
You don't see Ric Flair as a midcard feud? I do. It was 2005, not 1975.

Moonlight Drive

Edge also feuded with Flair (and Matt Hardy, rofl), so they were both in 'mid-card feuds'.

Regardless of if you think Edge got more heat (perhaps in the Hardy program) Triple H was the top heel. Why? He was booked as the top heel. Vickie Guerrero gets more heat than anybody on the roster, even Edge, but she wouldn't even be in the race for top heel. Best for sure, but not top. People may argue Cena isn't the best in the company, but regardless, he is the top guy.

Randy Orton was in a Main Event feud with the Undertaker, guess he was a bigger heel than both of them if we're basing it on who they were feuding with.

Come to think of it, I'd actually place Kurt Angle over all of them as the top heel during that time.

Reaction score
I can't call HHH the main heel at that time. HHH was the main heel until WM25, when he lost to Batista. After that, he was healthy until Backlash, then gone til late May, then there til Vengeance (June) and then gone til October,
I'm sure you mean WM 21. He might have been gone for a bit, but he was still the heel in the main event match at 3 straight ppvs. (WM21, Backlash and Vengence). During his absence, there really wasn't a top heel on the show. You had Christian, Jericho and Angle all feud with Cena for the belt, but I don't think you could call any of them the top heel. If anyone was really the top heel when Triple H was gone, it was probably Shawn Michaels, seeing as how he played the heel in the biggest feud of the summer against Hogan. During that time, Edge was in the mid card.

and when he returned,he was in midcard feuds,
Just like Edge, except Triple H's feuds with Ric Flair and Big Show were bigger than any feud that Edge had that year. The only one that came close was the feud with Matt Hardy.

until he squared off with Cena leading to WM22, at which time he was more of a tweener, because the fans hardly even booed him.
I'll admit he was playing a tweener, because it was the beginning of his face turn, but in that match he was still technically the heel, and it was the main event at WM, which trumps what Edge did that night.

I'd say Edge was the top heel for 05,
How? He never won the world title and was never in a main event. He was in the mid card that year.

and like you also said, 2006 was as well...
On Raw he was, but you said he was THE heel in the WWE, and King Booker was just as big of a heel that year.

I don't see how you say there wasn't a top heel in 2007? In 2007, his feuds with Undertaker carried SD, and even anchored the PPV's, because Raw was highlighted by Cena vs Khali. Edge was the top heel in 2007,
He feuded with the Undertaker in 2008, not 2007. He was basically in the mid card for the first 3 months on Raw, and he competed in the MITB at WM. He was in the Raw main event at Backlash in a 4 way match. Then he took the MITB from Kennedy in May and cashed it in on the Undertaker. He had a few matches on ppv with Batista as champ, and then got injured in July. He came back at the Survivor Series, and then won the belt at Armageddon. It really wasn't a dominant year for Edge. Randy Orton had just as good of a year as Edge, and maybe a little better since he wasn't out with an injury.

and like you said, also in 2008 and 2009.
ALONG with Randy Orton. You can even make a very strong argument that Orton has been the top heel over Edge. For one thing he's been on the A show. Also the past two Wrestlemania's, while they have both closed the show, in each case Orton's match got far more hype. This year I don't think it's really debatable as to who the top heel is. Orton has been the top guy in the company this year, even ahead of John Cena. Edge has been the main heel on his own show, but you said he has been THE main heel in the WWE.

MikeRaw

Edge also feuded with Flair (and Matt Hardy, rofl), so they were both in 'mid-card feuds'.

Regardless of if you think Edge got more heat (perhaps in the Hardy program) Triple H was the top heel. Why? He was booked as the top heel. Vickie Guerrero gets more heat than anybody on the roster, even Edge, but she wouldn't even be in the race for top heel. Best for sure, but not top. People may argue Cena isn't the best in the company, but regardless, he is the top guy.

Randy Orton was in a Main Event feud with the Undertaker, guess he was a bigger heel than both of them if we're basing it on who they were feuding with.

Come to think of it, I'd actually place Kurt Angle over all of them as the top heel during that time.

Kurt Angle is a good choice. Ok, so, let's just say Edge wasn' tthe top guy during 2005, and that 2006 was his year as top heel, that's still 3 years. So let's go back to the topic of is he on a path to being a legend or note.

On a side note, the time I made my comment placing him over HHH was actually in response to NBT saying HHH was top heel til WM22, in which I replied that wasn't true, because Edge was the top heel in early 2006 (leading up to WM22) while HHH was more of a tweener. Somehow we got into all this 2005 talk...

Edit: NBT, Edge feuded with Taker in 2007. He cashed in on him in mid 2007, injuring him (storyline, because he was injured in another match for real), adn then later in the year, when they both returned from injury, Edge feuded with Taker again, costing him the World Title at Survvor Series.

I'd like to get back to the "legend" status shit though, because as we know, when a guy is considered a legend in WWE, it first of all doesn't have to be considered THE guy (even though I personally think Edge is THE heel for several years), and it's also based on what they did kayfabe wise, without the disecting of it. So if a guy was an 8 time world champ, with many more to come, surely that should make him considered a legend.

Kizza

Well, Edge is more dcorated than HBK, so from that standpoint, what i say is true. The rest would just be opinion, and like I said, I'd take him over HBK.

You're kidding right. I hope to God you are kidding.

How can you honestly say Edge is more decorated then HBK? Cos Edge has had more 3 week title reigns?

MikeRaw

You're kidding right. I hope to God you are kidding.

How can you honestly say Edge is more decorated then HBK? Cos Edge has had more 3 week title reigns?

Considering that's what the word means, yes.
Fact: Edge is more decorated than HBK.
Like I said, that alone should get him into the HOF. I wasn't using the fact that Edge has more title reigns as the sole reason I'd take him over HBK. That was just the factual part. Like I said, the choice of who you prefer is an opinion, and everyone is welcome to their own.

Kizza

You believing that Edge is more decorated then Shawn isn't a fact, that is still part of your opinion.

MikeRaw

You believing that Edge is more decorated then Shawn isn't a fact, that is still part of your opinion.

No, it's not. More titles = more decorated. Sorry, it's true.
Just like a guy who wins 3 superbowls and 7 awards for outstanding player or whatever is more decorated than the guy who has 1 superbowl. Again, feel free to like HBK more than Edge, but more title reigns does mean more decorated. You can say HBK's were higher quality, though.

Kizza

I will say that Edge has had a much more decorated tag team career then Shawn, but Shawn overall has a more decorated career.

MikeRaw

Again, I don't see it. You can say he has had the more entetaining, if you like. ou can say it's been of a higher quality, and a higher standard. You can say Shawn is the best of all time. But again, you can't say he's more decorated. Decorated is a term used to descrive the championship accomplishments throughout someones career, so it isn't debatable. One guy has more (Edge) therefore, he is more decorated. Again though, you can say HBK is better.

CT Styles

I think he'll go down as a legend for being a championship stealer and being known for somehow getting himself to win/win situations concerning the title.

EDIT: Basically, he'll be remembered as The ULTIMATE Opportunist. Because he was the best at it.

Moonlight Drive

Shawn's first WWE title reign is probably longer than all of Edge's combined, that is more of a 'championship accomplishment' than 9 3 week reigns.