Django Unchained

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Fantastic movie, far from an indy film you fucking idiot. None of Tarrantino's movies should be labeled as such because it is the farthest thing from it. Tarrantino despises CGI which is why the films look the way they do. They look like they have in the past, before movie companies became obsessed with the digital production relying on computer animations. Tarrantino relies on the actors, on the dialogue of the film. The reason he is so successful is because he thinks outside of the box. When you see his films, you are not watching the ordinary. His action films aren't for the dimwitted (I'm talking about Transformers and Battleship movie watchers) and require a presence of mind and a knowledge of basic historical aspects (slavery, holocaust, samurai customs). Django Unchained is a stroke of brilliance, peppered with the little things that make a film director a legend. I admire Quentin's talent and I urge you all to see this movie. I'm purposely not discussing the lengths of the film so that you all can go into this movie fresh and with an open mind. I daresay you will wake up the next morning and go about your day thinking of this movie as you complete your daily activities. I know I did.

The problem with the dialogue is that it has been pretty much the same since Pulp Fiction, and that every character talks the same in every film he has made, and there is only so long you can do that before it gets boring. Also when you have talent like Jackson and Willis delivering the lines then it seems sharp and interesting, but when you have the lesser cast of say Death Proof then it suddernly becomes exposed. There are far more interesting and expermental directors than Taratino such as Lynch, Paul Thomas Anderson and Terrerence Malick to name but a few. Directing the same film, but changing the genre is not doing anything new. I don't care about getting a lacture on the films he watched growing up, I just want an entertaing film, with good characters and a plot.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Keith wants to hate Tarantino so bad, regardless of how little sense he makes.

This is amusing.

Reaction score
I think Quentin's films are always original actually. Sure, Pulp Fiction will probably always be his best work but I would actually place Iglourious Basterds second. I thought that IB had great dialogue, acting, cinematography and a strong storyline. There wasn't anything unoriginal about it. Oh and let's not forget that the opening scene was one of the best that I've ever seen! I don't think QT's work is getting worse. I think it has been consistent and he has films for everyone in the audience.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
The problem with the dialogue is that it has been pretty much the same since Pulp Fiction, and that every character talks the same in every film he has made, and there is only so long you can do that before it gets boring. Also when you have talent like Jackson and Willis delivering the lines then it seems sharp and interesting, but when you have the lesser cast of say Death Proof then it suddernly becomes exposed. There are far more interesting and expermental directors than Taratino such as Lynch, Paul Thomas Anderson and Terrerence Malick to name but a few. Directing the same film, but changing the genre is not doing anything new. I don't care about getting a lacture on the films he watched growing up, I just want an entertaing film, with good characters and a plot.

I am not a cinephile so I can't sit here and argue about the directors you mentioned, as I can only state from what I have seen. I have not seen all of Tarrantino's films, but every single one of them I have seen (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Resevior Dogs, Basterds, Django) I have thoroughly enjoyed. When I watch his films, I find them drawing me into the familiar zone that good movies take us all into. This movie (Django) kept me completely invested from start to finish, even when I had to spit out the chewing tobacco halfway into it. The reasons his movies are so great is because of the acting. Quentin is a terrific caster, he literally discovered Christoph Waltz and has gone on record saying that Basterds would have never been made if it wasn't for Waltz. In Django, his dialogue shines throughout the beginning of the film. Towards the middle of the film, it was taken over by the acting of Dicaprio and Samuel L. Jackson. At the end of the film, it was closed off perfectly by Jamie Foxx. This was a complete film, with terrific complete acting by all parties involved. There was comic relief, there was brilliant dramatic scenes, and of course the characters kept you emotionally invested. Dicaprio, one of my favorite actors ever, made me hate him in this film. Same with Sam Jackson, the two of them were absolutely evil in this film. The soundtrack to the film fit right in, even Rick Ross's atrocious "100 black coffins". I urge you to watch the film carefully before claiming that another director can do it better, Tarrantino is smug because he has a right to be. I would not type it out if I didn't truly believe it.

Reaction score
I am not a cinephile so I can't sit here and argue about the directors you mentioned, as I can only state from what I have seen. I have not seen all of Tarrantino's films, but every single one of them I have seen (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Resevior Dogs, Basterds, Django) I have thoroughly enjoyed. When I watch his films, I find them drawing me into the familiar zone that good movies take us all into. This movie (Django) kept me completely invested from start to finish, even when I had to spit out the chewing tobacco halfway into it. The reasons his movies are so great is because of the acting. Quentin is a terrific caster, he literally discovered Christoph Waltz and has gone on record saying that Basterds would have never been made if it wasn't for Waltz. In Django, his dialogue shines throughout the beginning of the film. Towards the middle of the film, it was taken over by the acting of Dicaprio and Samuel L. Jackson. At the end of the film, it was closed off perfectly by Jamie Foxx. This was a complete film, with terrific complete acting by all parties involved. There was comic relief, there was brilliant dramatic scenes, and of course the characters kept you emotionally invested. Dicaprio, one of my favorite actors ever, made me hate him in this film. Same with Sam Jackson, the two of them were absolutely evil in this film. The soundtrack to the film fit right in, even Rick Ross's atrocious "100 black coffins". I urge you to watch the film carefully before claiming that another director can do it better, Tarrantino is smug because he has a right to be. I would not type it out if I didn't truly believe it.

Agreed! There hasn't been a film that QT has directed that I have not enjoyed. Obviously, some are better than others but none of them are bad. He takes his time with films and ends up creating a very memorable and significant film. Even a silly B rated filmed like Death Proof, which was what it was meant to be, held my interest. There was nothing wrong with Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained which are his most recent films. I feel like we have not witnessed such superb acting in a QT film since Pulp Fiction. IB and Django Unchained have definitely had some of the best actors and storylines since his masterpiece. Christoph Waltz, as you pointed out, is the reason why IB was such a successful film. I cannot picture the film without Waltz. As for Django, all of the characters carried the film. There weren't any weak ones. They all had memorable roles.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
If any of his films "rehashed" anything, it was Jackie Brown and ONLY Jackie Brown considering Pam Greer's lead role was loosely derived from her 70's classics like Boxy Brown. And the characters like Ordel and Melanie were created by an author who used them in books with completely different plots and supporting characters than in Jackie Brown. Still, it was an original story and paid homage to Greer's older work as she had faded from stardom by the mid 80's. That was the whole POINT of the movie. The resemblance was completely intentional. That's not a "rehash".

As for Kill Bill, Death Proof, Basterds, and Django... those movies were completely original and not based on anything. There was an old Italian flick that had the same name as Django, but that's it. Just the name. The plot and characters have absolutely no resemblance to Tarantino's movie whatsoever. The main character Django ISN'T EVEN THE SAME RACE.

Keith, you probably just heard there was an old flick with the same name as Django and assumed it was the same thing without even looking up the old Django. Not sure why you lumped all his other films in with that idiotic hypothesis, but do some research before you post ignorant comments about something you don't understand.

Reaction score
If any of his films "rehashed" anything, it was Jackie Brown and ONLY Jackie Brown considering Pam Greer's lead role was loosely derived from her 70's classics like Boxy Brown. And the characters like Ordel and Melanie were created by an author who used them in books with completely different plots and supporting characters than in Jackie Brown. Still, it was an original story and paid homage to Greer's older work as she had faded from stardom by the mid 80's. That was the whole POINT of the movie. The resemblance was completely intentional. That's not a "rehash".

As for Kill Bill, Death Proof, Basterds, and Django... those movies were completely original and not based on anything. There was an old Italian flick that had the same name as Django, but that's it. Just the name. The plot and characters have absolutely no resemblance to Tarantino's movie whatsoever. The main character Django ISN'T EVEN THE SAME RACE.

Keith, you probably just heard there was an old flick with the same name as Django and assumed it was the same thing without even looking up the old Django. Not sure why you lumped all his other films in with that idiotic hypothesis, but do some research before you ignorant comments about something you don't understand.

Quentin paid tribute to Italian directors by making Django since western films used to be a big deal in Italy. I think that's respectful of him actually. I don't think he stole any ideas from that genre and those directors; he just paid homage to them.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The lead actor from Django had a small cameo in this movie as well. Other than the name and I guess the genre, there were no similarities between the two films.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
No he's never "stolen" anything from anyone. He likes a 70's throwback atmosphere in his movies, but that's just his style. Every director has their thing and that's his. But calling it "unoriginal" and "lazy" is completely asinine and a ludicrous interpretation.

Reaction score
The lead actor from Django had a small cameo in this movie as well. Other than the name and I guess the genre, there were no similarities between the two films.

Exactly! I thought it was great that he had a small role in the film. Sign of respect!

No he's never "stolen" anything from anyone. He likes a 70's throwback atmosphere in his movies, but that's just his style. Every director has their thing and that's his. But calling it "unoriginal" and "lazy" is completely asinine and a ludicrous interpretation.

Nope! I would say that the only film that followed a genre very closely was Reservoir Dogs in the sense that it reminded me of a gangster film like Goodfellas where there's a group of men working together and one of them turns out to be a rat. In any case, he changed it around and provided us with a unique interpretation of that genre.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Now, I'm not with Keith on this one. Sure I'm not a fan of QT's stuff, but I wouldn't say he's unoriginal. Regardless of how I feel about almost all of his movies, save for maybe 3, QT just hasn't really caught my eye with most of his films. Christoph Waltz is the main reason I loved Inglourious Basterds so much. He was an actor never seen before really, and made me really hate his character. I will give QT some credit for an amazing ensemble cast that complimented each other very well, and the script was amazing. But I've just never been a fan. Kill Bill was kind of fun, but it's just never been a film that I could watch over and over like so many other people can. I don't quite remember Reservoir Dogs, it's been a long time since I've seen that film. Django actually does look interesting, I'll definitely give it a chance.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Wasn't Resevoir Dogs a rip off of a Japanese movie with Chow Yun-Fat? That might be what Keith was trying to say. I don't agree with what he's saying but I do get what he's trying to say. Tarantino takes stuff from different movies and uses them in his films. I'd say it's for homage than rehashing and he uses them from obscure movies. As far as the other directors mentioned, I find Terrenece Malick to make extremely boring "art". Tarantino doesn't try to make "art", he makes entertaining movies and at the end of the day, that's what I want to sit down and watch.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Pretty boy cast? Who? Leonardo? He's a great actor and changed his look and character roles to avoid the pretty boy stereotype.

Christoph Waltz? One of the best newer actors.

Jaime Foxx? Not really. I actually haven't seen many of his films but never considered him a pretty boy.

Samuel Jackson? Hell no!

Wasn't John Travolta a pretty boy once? Well, I believe our opinion changed when he appeared in Pulp Fiction.

I still look at Leo as a pretty boy, Jaimie Foxx is one of those guys who trys to hard to be cool (kind of Tarantino himself) and a black cowboy? Weren't they all just slaves back in those days?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I still look at Leo as a pretty boy, Jaimie Foxx is one of those guys who trys to hard to be cool (kind of Tarantino himself) and a black cowboy? Weren't they all just slaves back in those days?

That's the whole point of the movie. He was a slave, and got set free.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
The point of the arguing goes unwarranted until you guys see the film. If you go to the theater and disagree that's one thing. Arguing without seeing it just destroys credibility.