Derek Jeter to Retire

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I came back over here specifically to post this, and I got beat to it.

For what it's worth, I usually root for the Yankees and considered them my favorite AL team before the Astros switched leagues last year. A big part of that was Derek Jeter. He's a terrific player and, by all accounts, a truly nice guy. He's a definite first ballot Hall of Famer and a great ambassador for baseball.

wk
There goes our friendship.

Jeter has been consistent as an athlete and has stayed out of trouble. He's no Chipper Jones or even close in my book, but I'll gladly give him his credit. Now that Cano and Granderson are gone, and Jeter is retired I know 0 Yankees I like.

I wonder what SS is going to hit the market at 180mil+ next year with the Yankees. I'd hate to be any team needing a SS next year, horribly over inflated prices for the loss.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Point was directed toward tulo who you credit success to the stadium he plays in. He'd put godlike numbers up in that bandbox
Tulo is by leaps and bounds the best SS in baseball, and has been for a couple years.

Slaters gonna slate bro.

Reaction score
Whether you love Derek Jeter, hate him, or don't really care, there's one thing that is for sure....he can bring in the fans.

When the Yankees announced that the team would officially honor Jeter on September 7th, ticket prices soared on the resale market.

The average list price for the home game in the Bronx against the Kansas City Royals went from $139.24 before the announcement to $497.98 by Saturday, according to ticket resale market aggregator TiqIQ.

The price of the cheapest seat in the building jumped by more than 1,200 percent, from $16 to $211. Bleacher seats with a face value of $23 can't be found for under $223, while outfield field box seats that carry a face value of $175 can't be had for under $575 anymore.

"The Yankees have been known to pick somewhat random dates to honor their retiring stars," said TiqIQ spokesman Chris Matkovich, pointing out that Mariano Rivera was honored last season on the Sunday during the final homestand. "With dates being unknown, this has led to huge price spikes directly after the announcement of his retirement and now this ceremony. But it has also given the average fan the ability to buy a change to get tickets to a marquee event at face value."

The Yankees haven't announced the schedule of events, but did say that fans attending the Sept. 7 game will receive a limited edition Jeter coin.

One of the biggest beneficiaries of Jeter's retirement year have been ticket brokers in Boston, where the Yankees will play their final series of the regular season from Sept. 26-28. When Jeter announced his retirement intentions in February, tickets to his very last game at Fenway Park soared.

On StubHub, the cheapest ticket went from $26 to $328 within a matter of hours. In the five months since, prices have come down a bit. The cheapest ticket on StubHub to the last regular-season game Jeter might play is now $161.

Would you pay $211 for the cheap seats?

Some believe that figure will continue to climb so $211 might not even be the lowest price. It's certainly possible at this point. September 7th is still weeks away.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Whether you love Derek Jeter, hate him, or don't really care, there's one thing that is for sure....he can bring in the fans.

When the Yankees announced that the team would officially honor Jeter on September 7th, ticket prices soared on the resale market.

The average list price for the home game in the Bronx against the Kansas City Royals went from $139.24 before the announcement to $497.98 by Saturday, according to ticket resale market aggregator TiqIQ.

The price of the cheapest seat in the building jumped by more than 1,200 percent, from $16 to $211. Bleacher seats with a face value of $23 can't be found for under $223, while outfield field box seats that carry a face value of $175 can't be had for under $575 anymore.

"The Yankees have been known to pick somewhat random dates to honor their retiring stars," said TiqIQ spokesman Chris Matkovich, pointing out that Mariano Rivera was honored last season on the Sunday during the final homestand. "With dates being unknown, this has led to huge price spikes directly after the announcement of his retirement and now this ceremony. But it has also given the average fan the ability to buy a change to get tickets to a marquee event at face value."

The Yankees haven't announced the schedule of events, but did say that fans attending the Sept. 7 game will receive a limited edition Jeter coin.

One of the biggest beneficiaries of Jeter's retirement year have been ticket brokers in Boston, where the Yankees will play their final series of the regular season from Sept. 26-28. When Jeter announced his retirement intentions in February, tickets to his very last game at Fenway Park soared.

On StubHub, the cheapest ticket went from $26 to $328 within a matter of hours. In the five months since, prices have come down a bit. The cheapest ticket on StubHub to the last regular-season game Jeter might play is now $161.

Would you pay $211 for the cheap seats?

Some believe that figure will continue to climb so $211 might not even be the lowest price. It's certainly possible at this point. September 7th is still weeks away.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: Karen Marie Shelton

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It comes down to the media who love to put the spotlight on him when he wins a game for his team, but doesn't find him when he costs a game. That isn't simply for Jeter; the media does that with everyone. Outside of Mets fans, the casual baseball fan of Carlos Beltran will remember his crazy playoff run with the Houston Astros, not the one that saw him fooled by Adam Wainwright that cost the Mets in 2006. The difference is that Jeter plays for the Yankees and therefore has more opportunities for the spotlight (and much more subtly more chances to be ignored when he doesn't come through).

Remember when the media decided he was Mr. November when he hit a walkoff home run in 2001 to win Game 4 of the World Series? Of course, it was an exciting World Series, and that was one of the story lines, a clutch Derek Jeter wins one for the Yankees. How many remember when he went 3 for 26 in the rest of the World Series? How about the 2 for 17 in the ALCS that year? How about the go-ahead run in the 8th inning of of Game 7 that Jeter grounded into a force out (Diamondbacks win the game by a run)? It's not fair to expect him to always come true, but it's also unfair to suggest he comes through more often than not.

Overrated in that sense. I hope you understand

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
you are condemning a guy for "not coming through more often than not" in a sport that failing 70% of the time gets you in the HOF

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I really didn't. You are hating because he didn't come through every single time. No athlete did, much less baseball players.

you can cherry pick stats, but do you deny that Jeter is one of the better postseason performers in recent MLb history? I saw him sink the A's firsthand with his heroic bullshit

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I would think a better measure of his playoff "clutchness" could be seen by looking at the Yankees WPA totals from 1995-2003. After all, WPA defines how much a player added or subtracted from a team's chances to win. In games with Jeter, the Yankees are 36 (equal to a WPA of 18) games above .500 in the playoffs (97-61), yet Jeter has a WPA of 0.012. So figure every Yankee to take the field or have a playoff plate appearance since 1995 contributed to a total of 18.000. Jeter who has made far more appearances than anyone else contributed only 0.012 to that total. Compare that to Hideki Matsui at 1.375 (1st), Alex Rodriguez at 1.135 (2nd), and Bernie Williams at .881 (4th). Like I said, never been the best player on his team, or in the league.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I forget you are a Mets fan. little brother syndrome is rough

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Also, there is a huge difference when I say someone is overrated, and when someone sucks. I am also of the believe Babe Ruth was overrated

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Also, being a mets fan has little to do with it. I will without a doubt say Rivera is the greatest closer of all time.

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
No, but my grandfather did. Told me pretty much what I needed to hear. He wasn't the best player on his teams, just hit the homers.