Could Dean Ambrose Be "The Guy?"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Apparently Vince Russo thinks so:

There’s a lot to like about the WWE roster these days—A LOT! Every week somebody is either catching my eye, or starting to grow on me. At this moment, the potential in that locker room is at an all-time high, dating back to the days of JR being thehead coach. Whoever is doing the recruiting for the company no doubt has an eye for talent, and those guys at the training facility in charge of getting these guys “ready” for the show—AMAZING, AMAZING job!!! Literally cannot say enough.

The TV writing leaves much to be desired, but this column isn’t about that. Seeing that the creative isn’t going to change anytime soon, we have months and months to talk about that. This here—this is about the in-ring talent within’ the company. Week, after week, somebody else wins me over. It started with the BE-ALL, END-ALL, Bray Wyatt–the best interview in the business since Jake “The Snake” himself, transferred over to the LOVELY LANA when I discovered photos of her with her hair DOWN a few weeks ago, went to Reigns—who has just an amazing, amazing look, hot tag to Ziggler, GREAT WORKER, GREAT TALENT, to Bo Dallas, who has found his niche on the roster, and then finally 1/3–Pillman-1/3 Piper–1/3 Austin–a man by the name of Dean Amdrose.

If you were watching RAW last night, what you witnessed was MAGIC. I can’t say enough about both Rollins and Ambrose delivering when the company rolled the dice and put them in that main event slot. Those guys were just SICK, off the hook, FREAKIN’ RIDICULOUS! Whereas for the first time Rollins made me sit up and pay attention, Dangerous Dean rose to a whole other level right before our very eyes on national TV.

In watching the product from afar, it appears that Roman Reigns is just a link above Ambrose on the WWE food chain, but, after last night—I just don’t know. Whereas Roman both LOOKS and CARRIES himself as a Champion, I feel if they allow him to just “simmer” a bit more, it will no doubt benefit both him and the company in the long run. When the bell rings, Reigns is an ANIMAL. EVERYTHING he does looks GREAT. However, when the action stops and he has a mic in his hands—there you can see a glimpse of his shortcomings. But—that just takes time, 95% of the roster has to work at developing their promo skills—Reigns is not different. And, in time he will get better, I have seen improvement already, but, my gut tells me—don’t rush this dude–just let it organically transpire on its own.

Ambrose on the other hand? THE GUY IS THERE. And, look at the problem that the WWE has on its hands at the moment: you have Brock the Champ, a HEEL Cena if you get your heads out of your coolas, a returning Daniel Bryan, Batista coming back from hiatus, Reigns AND Ambrose. ARE YOU FREAKIN’ KIDDING ME?!!! Right now you’re looking at the 77′-78′ NEW YORKYANKEES! The possibilities are amazing! Which way do you go? That is the question that every member of the creative team has to be asking themselves. Well . . . maybe not, considering the Stephanie McMahon/Brie Bella angle opened last night’s show.

Look, if you know anything about “booking”, you know this–-GO WHERE THE PEOPLE TAKE YOU. Stop for a second, and LISTEN. What are the people telling you? What are your viewers telling you? What are your ticket buyers telling you? After last night it is crystal clear to me. Right now–DEAN AMBROSE is your guy. Whether you like it, or not, the audience is speaking, and at the end of the day . . . they are the only ones that matter!

This is one of those rare times where I have to agree with Russo. Ambrose has a much more organic rise going for him in the midcard compared to Reigns who is slowly being pushed into a feud with Triple H because they've already long fingered him as the next top star (nothing wrong with already having someone chosen as your next big star, but as Lex Luger, Diesel and others have proven, they don't always end up being the right choice.) Some would say that Ambrose doesn't have "the look" that Reigns has, but considering the most over guy in the WWE at the moment is one of the smallest main eventers in history, let's concede for the moment that looks and size aren't always everything. And besides which, there is nothing wrong with Ambrose's size. He's roughly the same height as Reigns is and looks to have about the same muscle mass as Stone Cold did in his prime (despite being billed as about twenty-five pounds lighter.)

Only time will tell. But I'm certainly far more interested in Ambrose right now than Reigns (although I'm a fan of both guys.)

Last edited:

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I said this years ago but there were so many detractors.
If the Empire went in that direction, the bubble gum crap would have to cease.
Ambrose isn't Hogan/Cena/Rock so he isn't going to do the signings and make-a-wish or go to political conventions.
Ambrose has the ability, but will WWE give him the support?

Reactions: Vice

TMBS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
VVR7eLH
Favorite Wrestler
williamregal
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
LH0JziR
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
kane
I don't think Ambrose can rise any higher until the Rollins/Shield feud dies off. Ambrose is going to be over as fuck, but he needs to start taking down the big guys, and taking their spot on the roster.

This is the problem reigns had. He came down from the shield breakup by stating he had enough. he was going to rise to the top. And he was thrown into the Cena, Orton mix. With 2 off the biggest guys in the wwe in 10 years.

It's the same thing that happened to The Ryback.

It's not often we see an actual star rise to this position, the last few I can think of are Cesaro, Ryder and Ziggler MITB reign. But the sad part is look how all of them ended so abruptly and poor.

So I think WWE need to be especially careful with how they treat these 2 future main eventers, because 1 foul book and one of these guys ends up racing for the US title the rest of their career.

Reactions: Vice

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
WWE will likely push him because he's over and he has talent and he ain't that small, but I only see WWE pushing him to the 2nd/3rd babyface in the company.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
There's approximately zero reasons why it shouldn't happen.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
Well, I still doubt he will be THE man, but he can maybe be like jericho to the rock, cm punk to john cena, etc etc. Seeing as the future is bright with triple h in charge, maybe wwe will take a objective look at his performance:

Is he having great matches? Check

Can he hold his own on the mic? Check

Is he over with almost every type of crowd, be it the house mom or the smarky internet troll? Check

Sure there are some people that don't like him, but what matters is that most people do like him and he showed that he can deliver, so, yeah, I could see Dean as one of the top guys in wwe in the future

WWESpongefan

The Showoff
Reaction score
I like Roman Reigns, but I think the Seth Rollins/ Dean Ambrose feud is where it's at. Originally when the Shield were together my favorites was Roman and Seth. I wasn't hating on Dean Ambrose, I just thought that at the time Dean Ambrose wasn't that impressive. Now he's my favorite. After what he did at SummerSlam and on Raw I really think guys like Ambrose and Rollins are the future.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
He could. I don't think he will, but surely he'll be a main eventer for years to come. Maybe if things don't work out with Reigns he can get there.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Ambrose is what got me into The Shield in the first place. The guy can wrestle, the guy can also brawl, the guy can talk on the mic... He's the full package, imo.

- So, could Ambrose be 'The Guy'? Hell yeah!

When Dean comes back, I'd like to see him continue his feud with Seth, but by the time he's back, I hope Seth cashes in the MITB contract... And then have Rollins/Ambrose have at it for the title... I'd mark out if Ambrose/Rollins/Reigns were at ME at WM 31 with WWE-WHC on the line!

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
The main worry with him is how WWE loves slotting guys into roles instead of the 'bunch of guys trying to climb the ladder to the top" attitude the fans have. It's similar to them seeing Cesaro as the 'dude who can pinball the shit out of plucky resilient babyfaces", they'll see Ambrose as "the guy who can deliver chaos for those who love it"

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Dean Ambrose is a pussy. C+ player on his best days. I bet he takes it up the ass (NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!)

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
What's the difference between Ambrose and Ziggler?

Ziggler actually has talent.