Best Heels Of All Time

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
You say Austin was shit as a heel, you are the one acting like one run he made in 01 is the be all, end all of his entire career. That is the failure here. Don't act like nobody remembers the Hollywood Blondes. i do, I know others do as well. I made it perfectly clear.

And Andre and Shiek winning titles? Yeah let's hear it for one transitional champion and one for storyline purposes. Let's us not forget how major a rival Shiek was for Hogan during that time? Being used as a go between for Backlund and Hogan made that such a major rivalry right?

And don't even bring up Russian heels, as it was the easiest fucking character to play during the Cold War, every country bumpkin who could pass of a shitty Russian accent was pushed to the mainevent for that, it doesn't mean shit. Same goes for every Nazi character used after WW2.

Act like you know.

Right, and you actually READ THE FUCKING THREAD you would see my response was clearly to Cwalker and Fab specifically nominating Austin's heel turn in... wait for it... 2001!!!!!!!!11!1!! No one was fucking talking about what he did before he was in WWE. No one cares. But since you want to pretend in your own feeble imagination that we meant a completely different time than the one that was clearly stated, Austin still wasn't a great heel in those days. Get the fuck out of here, you're trying to compare the Hollywood Blondes to the all-time great heels in the history of the entire industry? Believe it or not, there WAS a reason he was released from WCW even if Bischoff didn't see the potential in over-hauling his gimmick, a gimmick he completely ripped off from the Sandman and only got him over so far in WWE because very few of WWE's audience had any clue who Sandman was and it seemed original to them. Austin was never a great heel, not even in WCW. Show me anything to convince me that Austin drew a dime in WCW and I'll retract my statement, but we already know you won't and you know it.

And you can make any excuse you want for Nikolai and Sheik being over, call them "transitional champions" or how easy it was to play the characters the played but it doesn't matter. They were hated more than any other heel of their time. If you want to question the tactics their bookers used to generate that type of heat with the personnel they used, then fine. But don't question the amount of heat those characters drew because they were among the most hated characters in the history of the WWE. It's the same reason Sgt Slaughter playing an Iraqi sympathizer went over so well. God forbid WWE actually used political stereotyping to get someone over right? Like they don't even do that anymore? Get fucking real. This isn't a discussion pertaining to how well these people were on the mic, how great they performed in the ring, or anything else you're making up to suite your argument, but simply how much of a heel they were. Their gimmicks worked and got them over immensely.

Deal with it.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Ric Flair
Triple H
Vince McMahon
Paul Heyman
Eric Bischoff
Kane
Ted Dibiase SNR
Shawn Micheals
Hulk Hogan
Randy Savage
Sgt Slaughter
JBL

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I'm sorry but in 2000 when My Time, came on everyone knew HHH and everyone hated him. He was by far and a country mile the best heel of the millennium and pre quad injury his ring work was "that damn good"

Flair is the greatest heel ever though

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I agree Psych, HHH with Stephanie was just fantastic. The stuff with Foley was epic.

Legion- Trying to curse while make a legitimate argument, way to go.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Right, and you actually READ THE FUCKING THREAD you would see my response was clearly to Cwalker and Fab specifically nominating Austin's heel turn in... wait for it... 2001!!!!!!!!11!1!! No one was fucking talking about what he did before he was in WWE. No one cares. But since you want to pretend in your own feeble imagination that we meant a completely different time than the one that was clearly stated, Austin still wasn't a great heel in those days. Get the fuck out of here, you're trying to compare the Hollywood Blondes to the all-time great heels in the history of the entire industry? Believe it or not, there WAS a reason he was released from WCW even if Bischoff didn't see the potential in over-hauling his gimmick, a gimmick he completely ripped off from the Sandman and only got him over so far in WWE because very few of WWE's audience had any clue who Sandman was and it seemed original to them. Austin was never a great heel, not even in WCW. Show me anything to convince me that Austin drew a dime in WCW and I'll retract my statement, but we already know you won't and you know it.

And you can make any excuse you want for Nikolai and Sheik being over, call them "transitional champions" or how easy it was to play the characters the played but it doesn't matter. They were hated more than any other heel of their time. If you want to question the tactics their bookers used to generate that type of heat with the personnel they used, then fine. But don't question the amount of heat those characters drew because they were among the most hated characters in the history of the WWE. It's the same reason Sgt Slaughter playing an Iraqi sympathizer went over so well. God forbid WWE actually used political stereotyping to get someone over right? Like they don't even do that anymore? Get fucking real. This isn't a discussion pertaining to how well these people were on the mic, how great they performed in the ring, or anything else you're making up to suite your argument, but simply how much of a heel they were. Their gimmicks worked and got them over immensely.

Deal with it.

Hollywood Blondes were drawing with The Horsemen. Learnurhistorymoron

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I didn't think I stated Triple H as an individual, definitely one of the best deviants of this gen.

I forget if the sledgehammer incident where HHH brutalized an already injured Regal was pre-evolution or during the "Evolution" period. Still remember it like it was yesterday. Damn, that was cold.

And I know I stated The Corporation, (inclusive of the Rock, but I'd also like to add the Hollywood variant. Fun while it lasted.)

YoungMannie

Reaction score
Well I loved Austin's heel run in 2001, I mean it was the 1st time they went full-blown heel with the SCSA character. He was seriously pissing fans/marks off with paranoia. Hell It was flat out awesome, I also remember Taker's "Big Evil" gimmick was awesome as well. Taker had came off as the old veteran who knew no one could take his spot but always wanted some to try.

Mdot31

Reaction score
No, incorrect. Sheik and Andre were remembered for being the rivals of Hulk Hogan. It doesn't take a fucking wrestling expert to understand why WMIII stood as the biggest drawing ppv in history for nearly 2 decades. They were heels for what they did, who they opposed, and what they were capable of which was winning the WWE Championship in an era where Hulkamania was dominant. So... you fail.

And I was CLEARLY addressing Austin's heel turn in 2001, not his bullshit WCW days with Brian Pillman that no one remembers hardly anything about. Yeah, DUH he was a good heel in ECW too which is why WWE picked him up in the first place. Seriously, quit pretending you have all the answers when you obviously can't even read a fucking thread properly.

To say that Andre's career will be remembered based on his feud with Hogan in the last 80's is kind of wrong. For nearly two decades before that time Andre was the biggest drawing guy in the sport as a face. Ask anyone who knows anything about Andre's career as a whole and Heel wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind. He was Heel for what 3 years working very limited dates? I'm not saying that during that run leading to Mania' 3 thru maybe Mania 4 wasn't profitable or good tv but saying Andre was one of the greatest heels of all time is a bit off. And saying Sheik as one of Hogans great rivals isn't close either. They just hot shot the belt to the Sheik because they needed to get it on a Heel quick. He was most likely closest to Vince at the time. Ever hear anyone talk about that classic between Hogan and Sheik?

Austin's run in 01 was awesome IMO. To me it was a really cool contrast to the "I hate my boss" stuff that had run its course by that time. Honestly look back on the time and watch the different layers Austin put into the character it was some of my favorite work of his.

Now for my greatest heels of all time. Outside of the top guy in no particular order
Flair: on top and there is no one close. The guy kept a company on his back for 6-7 years and did most of it as a heel. That never happens in this "sport"
Piper: could just put any crowd into a frenzy. It's a shame they didn't go with Hogan Piper at WM 2.
Savage: I always thought that Savage worked better as a crazy out of control heel. His feuds with Hogan and Warrior were by far his best work.
Perfect
Rude
Million Dollar Man
HBK: His run from mid 97-WM 14 was great. Personally if this was a list of say best year as heel HBK during that time would be near the top. Shawn was just so over the top and you could tell he really enjoyed or was just used to not being liked. And he was really good at it.
From 2000 on:
I guess Edge and Punk are my top 2
HHH had some good work also but the bad outweighs the good IMO and his run at the top from 02-05? nearly turned me off from WWE all together.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
To say that Andre's career will be remembered based on his feud with Hogan in the last 80's is kind of wrong. For nearly two decades before that time Andre was the biggest drawing guy in the sport as a face. Ask anyone who knows anything about Andre's career as a whole and Heel wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind. He was Heel for what 3 years working very limited dates? I'm not saying that during that run leading to Mania' 3 thru maybe Mania 4 wasn't profitable or good tv but saying Andre was one of the greatest heels of all time is a bit off. And saying Sheik as one of Hogans great rivals isn't close either. They just hot shot the belt to the Sheik because they needed to get it on a Heel quick. He was most likely closest to Vince at the time. Ever hear anyone talk about that classic between Hogan and Sheik?

Austin's run in 01 was awesome IMO. To me it was a really cool contrast to the "I hate my boss" stuff that had run its course by that time. Honestly look back on the time and watch the different layers Austin put into the character it was some of my favorite work of his.
I never said Andre and Sheik weren't popular before they rivaled Hogan, I said that's what they are most remembered for. And that is true. You show me another event that Andre drew higher numbers than WMIII and I'll rest my case, but there wasn't one for over a decade. I'm very well aware Andre wasn't a heel his entire career, I wasn't born yesterday. During Hogan's first stint in WWF, he was the face and Hogan was the heel. And I don't get where you got the idea Sheik wasn't one of Hogan's biggest rivals in that era. He quite obviously was considering Hogan won his first WWF Championship from him which is what put him over as arguably the biggest face in the history of the company. Yeah, I'd say Sheik had a considerable hand in that.

And don't talk to me about Austin's heel run in 01 being anything special either. He never got a modicum of real heat the whole time he was "heel" which is why it didn't last long at all. WWE bailed on it immediately after only a few months.

Captain Charisma

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Favorite Wrestler
christian2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Vince McMahon, Paul Heyman, Chris Jericho, Iron Sheik, Raven, Triple H, Randy Orton, Edge, Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, Eric Bischoff, Kane, The Undertaker, Ted DiBiase Sr. for me. Probably there are some that I forgot but these guys are the main guys I think as a heel, I am not going to tell why all of them are great heels but I will point out some. I love Ruthless Agression Era, shame that I couldn't watch it live, and Triple H was a great heel with Evolution also he was a great heel in Attitude Era as well. Also I love Edge's heel style as Rated R. He was the man in those days, but I prefer Edge as face. Randy Orton, he had two great heel runs, first is in Evolution, a cool cocky youngster which was great. Legend Killer is one of the unique gimmicks you can find. And then there is The Viper. The Viper is the reason I started watching WWE but I just seen it's last times :( Raven was a cool heel, I liked his style. Undertaker was a great heel when he was in Ministry of Darkness, he was so scary and he delivered all heel stuff well. Ted DiBiase Sr. was a natural heel, all he had done to crowd, as you know he make RVD kiss his feet for 100 dollars probably and he made a kid bounce the basketball for 20 times I think for 100 dollar but at 19 he kicked the ball. And at last Kane, I loved his World Heavyweight Champion as heel. He delivered promos so well.

Weez

Reaction score
I never said Andre and Sheik weren't popular before they rivaled Hogan, I said that's what they are most remembered for. And that is true. You show me another event that Andre drew higher numbers than WMIII and I'll rest my case, but there wasn't one for over a decade. I'm very well aware Andre wasn't a heel his entire career, I wasn't born yesterday. During Hogan's first stint in WWF, he was the face and Hogan was the heel. And I don't get where you got the idea Sheik wasn't one of Hogan's biggest rivals in that era. He quite obviously was considering Hogan won his first WWF Championship from him which is what put him over as arguably the biggest face in the history of the company. Yeah, I'd say Sheik had a considerable hand in that.

And don't talk to me about Austin's heel run in 01 being anything special either. He never got a modicum of real heat the whole time he was "heel" which is why it didn't last long at all. WWE bailed on it immediately after only a few months.

Dear God, were you alive in 1987 when WM3 happened?

It sold so well because it was new. PPV was NEW AND because THE FACE of the 80's, Mr Hulk Hogan, was defending his title against the biggest challenger to date, his FORMER FRIEND, who turned on him and joined the Heenan Family. That Friend Betrayal shit was huge in the 80s and no one could milk an angle like One of the best heels of all time and WITHOUT A FUCKING DOUBT, the best Manager of All time, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Andre passed the torch to Hogan that night, putting him over. Do you know he was billed as the only man to go undefeated his entire career to that point? He'd had a few countout or DQ victories but had legit NEVER been pinned or tapped out in a WWF ring. Ever. EVER. That was HUGE.

But it wasn't about him being a heel. That was Heenan's job as mouthpiece. The match fucking sold itself, especially since WWF had recently went nationwide in their TV.

When Andre won the WWF title with that Dave/Earl Hebner bullshit (The first of Heb's screwjobs, lol), he "sold' the title to Dibiase, who was, in my opinion, the best Heel not named Ric Flair I've ever seen work. Again, the Heat was Dibiase's, not Andre's.

Andre was a GREAT man for wrestling, but he's remembered for being an alcoholic, the first superheavyweight most anyone can remember in this modern era, and one of Heenan's goons. Oh and the Princess Bride lol

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I'm guessing yes, he mentioned in a thread he was above 25.

Vince McMahon, Paul Heyman, Chris Jericho, Iron Sheik, Raven, Triple H, Randy Orton, Edge, Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, Eric Bischoff, Kane, The Undertaker, Ted DiBiase Sr. for me. Probably there are some that I forgot but these guys are the main guys I think as a heel, I am not going to tell why all of them are great heels but I will point out some. I love Ruthless Agression Era, shame that I couldn't watch it live, and Triple H was a great heel with Evolution also he was a great heel in Attitude Era as well. Also I love Edge's heel style as Rated R. He was the man in those days, but I prefer Edge as face. Randy Orton, he had two great heel runs, first is in Evolution, a cool cocky youngster which was great. Legend Killer is one of the unique gimmicks you can find. And then there is The Viper. The Viper is the reason I started watching WWE but I just seen it's last times Raven was a cool heel, I liked his style. Undertaker was a great heel when he was in Ministry of Darkness, he was so scary and he delivered all heel stuff well. Ted DiBiase Sr. was a natural heel, all he had done to crowd, as you know he make RVD kiss his feet for 100 dollars probably and he made a kid bounce the basketball for 20 times I think for 100 dollar but at 19 he kicked the ball. And at last Kane, I loved his World Heavyweight Champion as heel. He delivered promos so well.

icon14.png