2011 Match of the Year

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

seX-Power

Reaction score
isn't the story of pretty much all matches to see who the better wrestler is?

nation

Reaction score
No shit but this was a true contest between friends, rivals and two of the greatest X Division stars and TNA stars in general. It was to see who the better man was. It always is but this was a personal competition between both guys to see who really is "the greatest".

...god...

Reaction score
God, the star rating shit is so fucktarded and subjective. Yes, by Dave Melzter's standards, some nerdy smurf who created it and sits in his basement watching chink wrestling all day, John Cena vs. CM Punk wouldn't even be remotely close to a 5 star match, so Enzo's right. HBK and Taker was far better, and he didn't even give that 5 stars. Not to mention Enzo you're beloved Flair vs. HBK match only got like 3 and a half stars from him rofl. With that said, I commend the fuck out of this match for the simple fact that it culminated and created such a rivoting feud on a fucking second-rate, GIMMICK PPV. Who would have thought this type of calibre match/feud would happen there, in MODERN day WWE. However, it was pretty much like going back to the Attitude Era with that night, drama and action like that was common on pretty much every PPV so this match is being horribly and laughably overrated by all of you, even though that means little since again, "ratings" are opinionated. It was a sick match, but the ending was far better, with Punk escaping through the crowd and Vince begging him not to, made it all, and most of all, made Punk a star. On that note, awesome match, bout as good or better than HHH/Taker but who the fuck really cares to go into semantics over it.

Also, the Fatal Four Way absolutely shit on the terrible AJ/Daniels match, lol.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
AJ/Daniels was good up until Daniels got injured... and then it was all downhill from there. It was sloppy as fuck.

1chiban

Reaction score
So, so close. Not quite Taker-Trips, but as a whole, definitely 4 1/2 stars. So awesome that an internet darling like Punk had his best match given to him by the person the IWC despises most. Anyone who thinks Cena can't work, despite the overwhelming evidence that not only he can, that he is one of the best, needs to pull their heads out of their asses. Good shit and a sure fire candidate.

Hmm I wouldn't call him one of the best by any means. He still only has really good matches when he's facing people who are far superior to him in the ring. He's not awful awful but he hasn't improved as much as he should have for nearly 10 years in the WWE. Just my opinion. I like him though, as he certainly puts his all in. Can't ask for much more than that I guess - at least he's passionate about the business.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Cena goes through the motions, he is so robotic, he should go back to that prototype gimmick. He is just so stiff it kills me watching him sometimes. Thats why im loving these new shake ups maybe well see some fresh faces take it to higher standards. Punk and Bryan could have a moty on any given date if they wanted Id say. Punk has become a legitimate mega star with this story line and its awesome to see someone who can actually WRESTLE in the ring get the spotlight.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^But let's not forget that Punk has charisma and an incredible ability to promo. It's funny that he said he refuses to say what they script for him... yet I don't know that he's ever gotten in trouble for that because they keep letting him do it... why do these other guys not have the balls to just step up and cut their own promos? Something tells me that's why they're stuck in the middle of the card and not getting their chance to rise.

Sorry about getting off topic here.

1chiban

Reaction score
Maybe Vince does like someone with gonads after all?

straight_edge76

Reaction score
God, the star rating shit is so fucktarded and subjective.

Mutha-fuckin THIS!!!

I hate using a rating system for anything, wrestling matches, albums or anything. What might be a "4 star match" is someone's eyes is a "2 star match" in someone elses eyes and so on and so forth. If you enjoy the match just say you liked the fucking match. No need to "rate" and get people all up in arms. I liked Punk/Cena more than Taker/HHH, end of story, both are phenomenal matches though.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
I don't use star ratings...
I use the
" Diva Match - BOtchfest - Boring - Bland - Okay - crisp - good - great - awesome - really fucking awesome - epic "
rating system...

HHH/Taker was great
Cm/Cena was awesome
Kurt/HBK wm 21 was really f'n awesome
idk...blah

Axis

Reaction score
You don't like technical wrestling? The match was near perfect. A contest to see who the better man is.

I love technical wrestling. I also like it to have heat to it. Chris Benoit vs. William Regal is good technical wrestling. It feels gritty, the struggles are there, and you see the fight for control on the mat. This was solid, (mostly) well-done holds. But it didn't feel exciting or real. It felt like a 30-minute house show match.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Meltzer gave this match *****. His first such rating for any WWE match since 1997.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Wow holy shit he really did. That guy is picky too I looked at all his 5 star ratings. Looked like the first one in a longg time for any company to get 5 stars.
Well deserved either way.

Rell

Reaction score
Punk/Cena got 5 stars for the same reason Joe/Kobashi did

the crowd

it would be nice if they could create that type of atmosphere around every major PPV main event