2011 Match of the Year

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I don't care who you are. If you're a wrestling fan and you weren't on the edge of your seat for Punk vs. Cena you don't have a pulse. That is what wrestling is sorely missing. Drama. Most matches are just "meh" because nothing is at stake and there's no real meaning to it. You walk away feeling like you didn't watch a damn thing. Not like that with Punk vs. Cena. Even if it wasn't Misawa vs. Kawada from a technical standpoint it still had an amazing atmosphere and every pin fall and submission had people holding their breath.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I don't care who you are. If you're a wrestling fan and you weren't on the edge of your seat for Punk vs. Cena you don't have a pulse. That is what wrestling is sorely missing. Drama. Most matches are just "meh" because nothing is at stake and there's no real meaning to it. You walk away feeling like you didn't watch a damn thing. Not like that with Punk vs. Cena. Even if it wasn't Misawa vs. Kawada from a technical standpoint it still had an amazing atmosphere and every pin fall and submission had people holding their breath.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Yeah, although Taker/HHH was absolutley insane, and had the brutality factor that the matches lack these days, there hasnt been a crowd reaction like that we saw in Punk/Cena tonight in quite some time. Id have to say Punk/Cena has taken over as MOTY over Taker/HHH. That fucking pop when Punk got the 3 count was absolutley incredible. And like its already been said, Wrestling is missing the drama, the unpredictibility, all that good shit that used to have us all marking, and im glad to say I felt like a little kid again watching this match, it was awesome. CM Punk will change the company if they run with this.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Triple H vs. Taker was amazing that they pulled out an amazing performance and story... but we all knew Taker wasn't going to lose, deep down. I don't think anyone, and I mean ANYONE, saw Punk winning tonight. Absolutely not... and definitely not running away with the belt anyways. If tonight's Main Event wasn't a 5* match, pretty much fuck wrestling fans, purists, etc.

And yes, Cena put out a helluva performance... and the injuries to both guys... the repeated reversals, Punk holding on multiple times in the STF, kickouts, the multiple GTS's... the high-flying... the unorthodox... the high-5 to Colt Cabana at ringside... Punk and Cena just made history tonight, and probably changed the face of professional WRESTLING as we know it in the US... that was absolutely fucking brilliant and incredible.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Punk/Cena is now the front runner for MOTY, and I dont see it being topped. I don't do the star rating system but, that match was FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! One of the best of the last 10 years. I am far from a Cena fan, or hater but he has seemed a little lazy this year, but for whatever reason, he and Punk just fucking CLICKED, the match was insane, and it goes to show how a crowd can make a match, they were hanging on every hold, every punch, every near fall, I don't think Cena nor Punk carried one another, they just played off each other and made one of the finest matches I have ever seen (they have an unreal chemistry, similar to Orton/Christian). Match of the fucking year hands down. They had some awesome TV matches, so I figured this was gonna be good but NOT NEARLY THIS GOOD. I'm a huge Punk fan (likely one of the bigger fans on here) but I hadn't seen that Indy LEGEND that I have heard about, and seen in the few ROH matches I've seen but THIS is the finest CM Punk performance (I haven't seen the Punk/Joe trilogy) I have ever seen.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I want to point out that I can't recall the last time I saw that much action in a main event match, title or not, on a WWE PPV. And, they did it for 40 minutes, roughly. Everytime Punk got locked in the STF, I thought, "oh fuck, well here it goes"... especially the 2nd time... when Cena pulled him back... but he COUNTERED INTO THE ANACONDA VICE! WTF!? And kicked out of 2 FU's... err.. AA's... maaaaaaan! Cena was perfect in this match... both guys were... I loved this, absolutely loved it. Incredible fucking performance. And you can ignore the build... watch the match again, and tell me those two didn't just grand slam in the bottom of the 9th inning, down by 3, in game 7 of the World Series...

Reaction score
Triple H vs. Taker was amazing that they pulled out an amazing performance and story... but we all knew Taker wasn't going to lose, deep down. I don't think anyone, and I mean ANYONE, saw Punk winning tonight. Absolutely not... and definitely not running away with the belt anyways. If tonight's Main Event wasn't a 5* match, pretty much fuck wrestling fans, purists, etc.

And yes, Cena put out a helluva performance... and the injuries to both guys... the repeated reversals, Punk holding on multiple times in the STF, kickouts, the multiple GTS's... the high-flying... the unorthodox... the high-5 to Colt Cabana at ringside... Punk and Cena just made history tonight, and probably changed the face of professional WRESTLING as we know it in the US... that was absolutely fucking brilliant and incredible.

How? Seriously. This isn't Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask, HBK vs. Razor at Mania 10 or the WCW Cruiserweights. Those changed wrestling in North America. This didn't change anything. It was an awesome match, awesome moment, awesome crowd and BRILLIANT booking. It's what makes us fans, but let us not over rate this, this is not a ground breaking moment. Vince-Bret, Hogan turning heel, WWF Attitude, ECW, those are groundbreaking moments. This is the best non-retirement moment since in over 5 years, but again, let us not get ahead of ourselves here.

nation

Reaction score
So, so close. Not quite Taker-Trips, but as a whole, definitely 4 1/2 stars. So awesome that an internet darling like Punk had his best match given to him by the person the IWC despises most. Anyone who thinks Cena can't work, despite the overwhelming evidence that not only he can, that he is one of the best, needs to pull their heads out of their asses. Good shit and a sure fire candidate.

When Cena is at his best and he actually gives a shit and tries, yes. Once in a great while he really busts his ass. He more than delivered against Punk.

John Cena vs. CM Punk (Money In The Bank): *****
Undertaker vs. Triple H (Wrestlemania 27): ****1/2
Davey Richards vs. Eddie Edwards (Best In The World): ****1/2
Christian vs. Randy Orton (Over The Limit): ****1/4
Austin Aries vs. Low-Ki vs. Jack Evans vs. Zema Ion (Destination X): ****1/4
Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio (Extreme Rules): ****
Smackdown Elimination Chamber (Elimination Chamber): ****
Bully Ray vs. AJ Styles (Slammiversary): ****
Christopher Daniels vs. El Generico (Best In The World): ****

Get off the drugs, the 4 way was not that fucking good. Daniels vs. Styles is much much better.

Axis

Reaction score
Styles/Daniels was so fucking dry and bland. I'd probably give it **3/4 if I had to give a score. The fourway was tons better.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Get off the drugs, the 4 way was not that fucking good. Daniels vs. Styles is much much better.

:lmmmao: :lmmmao: :lmmmao:

nation

Reaction score
Styles/Daniels was so fucking dry and bland. I'd probably give it **3/4 if I had to give a score. The fourway was tons better.

You don't like technical wrestling? The match was near perfect. A contest to see who the better man is.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I don't know what's funnier. You saying the four way wasn't good or that the Styles/Daniels match was near perfect.

nation

Reaction score
I never said it wasn't good. I said it wasn't THAT GOOD and it wasn't. Great match, ***1/2 but that's as high as it went. Just a very nice X Division style match. Daniels vs. Styles told a pretty nice story. About who is the better wrestler and reliving one of the greatest rivalries. It's as simple as that.