2011 Match of the Year

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Veritas

Reaction score
Let's use this as a tracking thread for all the potential matches of the year that way, when we start thinking back next January, we won't miss any candidates. A few regulations first - 1) since this seems to be a mostly US oriented board, I think we should limit this to US-based companies only, mainstream or Indy and 2) to be considered a match must be nominated by a member and then receive no less than 4 confirmations by different members. Sound fair?

Let the nominations begin.

Montana

Reaction score
Well...it hasn't happened yet... but i'll call it now:

Low Ki vs. Davey Richards Jan 29th PWG Kurt RussellReunion II

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
So we're basically doing DVD's thing now? >_>

This is actually a good idea for a thread. I commend Veritas for another good effort. Too bad there's not more Jap fans here though. :(

Reaction score
It's basically you and me my man and even at that I am so far out of the loop, but there is a catch: DEVITT WILL BE APPEARING IN AMERICA!!!!

BTW, Davey Richards is so over rated by the indy fan boys.

Veritas

Reaction score
I enjoy the few Japanese matches I watch but it's so damn difficult to keep up to date with and actually go out of my way to watch that I just usually don't do it. The same reason I didn't watch much ROH TV.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
It's basically you and me my man and even at that I am so far out of the loop, but there is a catch: DEVITT WILL BE APPEARING IN AMERICA!!!!

BTW, Davey Richards is so over rated by the indy fan boys.

Truthfully i'm out of the loop myself of late. The last show I saw from there was a NOAH show from the Francis tour 2 months ago because KENTAFuji were squaring off again. (FYI the match was awesome, though expectably couldn't touch their '06 matches) I would seek out Wrestle Kingdom 5, except TNA takes up half the matches so i'll pass on it. Bleh. But as far as Devitt, I always wondered how JAPW could get Liger to come in every so often but not get any of the other NJPW guys. He and Low-Ki should tear the house down when the time comes and it's good to see.

As far as your last line, truer words have never been spoken, my friend. :hug:

Reaction score
Veritas, theditch.biz . That's all you'll ever need to know about the greatest era of in ring wrestling product that ever existed, ever. This is everything that RoH has ever tried to bastardized, guys like Richards wish they were this good, where guys like Danielson would rather work if they could step into a time machine. AJPW from 88-2000 was by far the greatest wrestling ever in the history of the industry. Watch it, it's twenty years ahead of it's time.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I'll give a early WWE 2011 match of the year candidate, in my eyes atleast: Edge/Ziggler from the Rumble. Now, It may not in say June or July be a legitimate MOTY but being that this thread I think is targeted at just getting the discussion going, and since I haven't watched ANY TNA since like November and I dont follow any indy promotion (but I am getting into some older ROH stuff) the WWE is all I have to go on.

1chiban

Reaction score
Edge-Ziggler was a good match by WWE standards...but there will be something better!

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Taker/HHH - ****1/2

Not even close so far. At least for WWE/TNA. Not sure because I don't watch anything else with the exception going to like one ROH show a year.

1chiban

Reaction score
Undertaker-Triple H. Bryan-Ziggler beaten already in terms of WWE matches haha

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
You mean Edge/Ziggler?

But yeah, so far for me, it's:

1. Taker/HHH (Wrestlemania 27) ~ ****1/2
2. SD Elimination Chamber (Elimination Chamber) ~ ****
3. Edge/Ziggler (Royal Rumble) ~ ***3/4
3. Raw Elimination Chamber (Elimination Chamber) ~ ***3/4
5. Miz/Orton (Royal Rumble) ~ ***1/4
5. Orton/Punk (Wrestlemania 27) ~ ***1/4

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^ I assumed Bryan v Ziggler from Raw was what was being refered to for a mo'.... I guess not, but IMO, t'was Bryan's best match in WWE and (believing it to have been in 2011) amongst the best this year. PERIOD. (Sorry, just not feeling HHH/Taker like the majority of peeps) ...And certainly better than Edge/Ziggler.

I don't even remember Miz/Orton, let alone it being one of the best matches of the year so far. I found the Raw EC was pretty unremarkable too.

I'd struggle to come up with a top 5 at the point, TBH.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
HHH/Taker so far for me as well. The Smackdown chamber and Edge/Ziggler are 2nd/3rd but thus far Taker/HHH is running away with MOTY (atleast WWE) so far.