01/04 iMPACT! Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

DcDudley

Reaction score
Ok, to be fair the guy has done some good things and I have to give him his dues for starting the original monday night wars. But he is also more than partly responsible for the downfall of wcw.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Impact was good but Angle/AJ made it good. Hall was drunk, no one can tell me different but he did look better the last time I saw him. Things just kept letting me down match after match, note I haven't watched TNA in about two months but I still find the same things happening: random stars showing up and fuckery during matches.

The cage match: Too hard to see unless they showed from inside the cage. Fuckin DQ happened WITH 8 GUYS IN THE RING. Then was Homicide suppose to take that much time to get outside of cage? You have the crowd yelling bullshit then everybody else decided to climb. Jeff Hardy appears, surprise surprise. Bad match I guess Hardy saved it.

Hernadez/Morgan tag match: This is how Raven got his paycheque. He took a bump and rolled out of the ring. Ridiculous.

Last time I checked Desmond Wolf was having this big push by challenging Angle and shit. Now he's wrestling the Pope? Weak.

It was good see Joe again too bad that match was too damn slow.

The Hogan/Bischoff stuff was pretty entertaing. I love how Waltman was really feeling himself like he was there from the beginning (talking about NWO) when he really wasn't. If they're really trying to recreate the NWO but for "corporate" then it's gonna turn out bad.

And if Hogan is talking about everyone earns their spot, does that mean Waltman and Hall have to wrestle also because I know Hall's past. Come PPV times he's a no show. As for Waltman, whose really waiting for a classic match from him?

I'll be watching TNA but from a distance, flip in here and there to see what the program is like. But I give this whole Hogan thing 3 months before the product turns sour.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
iMPACT was great imo. It was seriously lacking wrestling, but the non-wrestling was entertaining enough to not make it that much of a big deal. With all those guys that were there last night though, I don't think they all are signed. Just cameo apeareances.

lol @ the reaction Orlando Jordan got when he came on camera. I surely hope Pope feuds with Wolfe and not Jordan.

If only WWE had Kristal be Lashley's mouth piece when he was there, that would have been amazing.

As for the Hogan/Jarret segment, it confused the hell out of me. I thought Hogan was full fledge face but that promo made him seem like a heel. I read a report that said Jarrett fucked up on his side of the promo. He was supose to be heelish and selfish and didn't come off like that.

LKP

Ive only seen half of impact so far im in the middle of the women s tag match its a good impact. Half of the people who said tna was not that good on here all mind numbingly dumb.

The Rated R CMStar

First off, lol at the nWo barely getting TV time. The whole show was centered in skits for them.

Second, like I said, the only reason people would say iMPACT won is because iMPACT actually felt like a special show, with a shitload of shock factor, which WWE, altough a good show, didn't have. Raw was a good show that just continued the storylines. iMPACT was a show that completely overhauled everything.

At the end of the day, it doesnt change the fact that TNA just officially resurrected WCW. Let's see how much you enjoy nWo 2 before you start bitching about it.

Axis

I don't understand where the negativity for this Impact is coming from. I thought the show was absolutely phenomenal. Sure there were some botched spots and glitches in the show, but for fuck's sake... it's their first live Monday night show going head to head with RAW! AND THEY FUCKING SLAUGHTERED THEM!

People have been sitting around for months watching DX chase midgets into alternate midget worlds under the ring, a fucking asshole with a unibrow, a wigger preaching about hustling and respect and who can forget the classic Teddy/Undertaker skit and you're gonna bitch about the show featuring Scott Hall, X-Pac and Hulk fucking Hogan? Are you out of your minds????

They barely took up any time and it's obvious that they're going to be involved in a power struggle storyline, not raping TNA of every title. And does anyone think that Hall and Waltman are going to make it past a few months???

TNA stole WWE's (arguably) top face, put on a MOTY candidate, debuted a fuck load of people, set up some awesome storylines and not ONCE did I want to change to channel to RAW. And the few times I did you know what I saw? During the AJ/Angle match... a rest hold by Orton on Kofi with a crowd falling asleep. Santino in a fucking wig making fun of Chris Jericho.

They did an amazing job of making me want to tune in and see where this all goes. Sure, the show didn't have an insane amount of wrestling on it but the non-wrestling stuff was actually ENTERTAINING and didn't insult my intelligence. People wanted a more mature, entertaining product with surprises, and awesome wrestling? Well TNA is giving it to you, stop bitching.

I thought that Enzo gave a good run down of why Impact was not as great as some are trying to portray it as. Instead of speaking in generalities, maybe you should try to respond to some of his specifics?

Nation

First off, lol at the nWo barely getting TV time. The whole show was centered in skits for them.

Second, like I said, the only reason people would say iMPACT won is because iMPACT actually felt like a special show, with a shitload of shock factor, which WWE, altough a good show, didn't have. Raw was a good show that just continued the storylines. iMPACT was a show that completely overhauled everything.

At the end of the day, it doesnt change the fact that TNA just officially resurrected WCW. Let's see how much you enjoy nWo 2 before you start bitching about it.

I'd much rather see "nWo 2" then see a PG friendly DX with a midget as an unfunny and annoying pet. Seriously lol.

Reaction score
I don't even know where to start...I think people have forgotten what good is. I'm not an E mark, but it's more than apparent that the blind hatred is making people skirt around the issues of what was really bad about Impact. Here's something I found from one of the best forums on the net, it's fair and truthful.

my worst fears came into fruition with this Impact. The show was overrun with an abundance of washed up superstars who have no place in a company full of good, young wrestlers. Angle/AJ was a TV example of why TNA has been superior to WWE in recent months. They offer great wrestling, and have a roster that is capable of competing with anyone when it comes to ringwork. Aside from that, the rest of the programme was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Joe, Daniels, Beer Money, Machine Guns; all of them were NOTHING to do with this show. The episode that was to give TNA more exposure than any of all time, showcased next to none of the people that make the company what it is today. Instead, we have Val Venis, Hall, X-Pac, Ric Flair and a lot of other people who simply can't contribute to the business any more. This was their chance to capitalise on Hogan's exposure and advertise TNA's product to the new viewer, and they failed epically. Of all the returns, Jeff Hardy was easily the biggest, and they fucked it up so badly it hurts. Jeff Jarrett made a superb, passionate promo about the company, which was shat on in an instant by Hogan. The more I think about it, the worse that decision was. After tonight, the TNA fans are simply going to be against Hulk and whtever direction he wants to take. This show was pathetic, but I hold my fingers firmly crossed that they can come through this and keep on the path that they have been on in recent months.

Although TNA won nothing tonight, the business did. this whole evening shows that, with competition, the business thrives. People constantly up their games to compete with the next company and the business and fans win because of it.

ScottyShowman

Reaction score
I can't remember an evening in years that had the anticipation and anxiousness
that last night had. I was pumped two hours before Impact even went on the air. I couldn't wait for the most competitive and surreal night in wrestling in years to happen.

Hogan in TNA! Bret Hart returns to the WWE for the first time in 12 years! Both of these could have easily been the biggest story of any year in recent memory
but to have them both not only in the same year, but on the same night was truly special and amazing.

TNA started and I enjoyed the new theme song with Hogan looking larger than life tearing his shirt amidst the TNA logo. Looked very cool. Tazz and Tenay sat amongst a new set with a nice plasma screen around them. Infact the whole TNA set seemed to be snazzed up. It looked more like a Pay Per View setting and it was nice to see that TNA was taking every little detail very seriously.

Here are some thoughts that really stood out about Jan 4th for TNA and WWE for me

Jeff Hardy- I was shocked to see Jeff Hardy in TNA, I heard rumors he would show up in TNA or that he would be back in the WWE by Wrestlemania 26.
I legitimately thought Hardy took some time off to rest his body that had taken so much punishment over the years. Let's just get something straight when Jeff Hardy left the the WWE he was the most popular star on the roster and now TNA has him. If nothing eles happened on TNA that night that would have been a great shocker in itself.

Hall and Sean Waltmen- I like Sean Waltmen, he looks great and is still fairly young and has many great matches in him. Although it is sad to see how far Scott Hall has let himself go, he's had his own personal things to deal with, and I'm glad he was there, his presence alone helped what they were trying to accomplish that night.

Bret Hart arrives on Raw- Raw did not waste anytime as they immediately brought out the Hitman. His music started blaring and it was like your favourite wrestler just came back from the dead and was walking down that aisle. The pop was huge. It was amazing, it was surreal. And to fans out there, don't be ashamed if you shed a tear or two. This guy was the guy we all grew up watching and it was great to see him walk that aisle one more time.

Hogan's arrival- I felt it was done very well having him come in a limo with cops around him, making the fans anticipate it until the very last moment.
He looked great and his arrival in the Impact Zone could not have come off any better. It was an interesting dynamic as Hogan Hall and Waltmen did not seem to be on the same page. Hogan had to let the security let Hall and Waltmen through to even get in the ring. Hogan made it very clear that this was a new time and the way it was in the past wasn't going to work here anymore. Nash came out and said that's not the understanding was on the phone.

Bret calls out Shawn Micheals- Surreal. I've watched sports talk shows where they have clamoured to get these two stars on the same show at once only for it to not come through. It all seemed very real. Shawn said a big part of him felt that Bret deserved it, but there was another part that always respected Bret, and didn't understand why Bret dissaproved on him so much. He said Bret wasn't the only one carrying that around with him for the last 12 years and no doubt that Shawn wasn't. Montreal, Calgary and Toronto wouldn't let Michaels forget it everytime they walked in. I'm sure when Michaels goes back to those towns there were still be those who chant "you screwed Bret" but after these two shook hands and hugged I'm sure there will be a big potion of wrestling fans that will finally put this all to rest.

Eric Bischoff's arrival- It was cool to see Bischoff stand in a ring with Hogan, Hall, Nash and Waltmen. He tried to reiterate was Hogan had been telling the boys but Nash said something like "Easy E we read you loud and clear and left" Hogan seems kind of torn as it related to his old nWo members as he even said that they were still 4- Life but he also mentioned that it was time to grow up. He has been holding his own for the good on TNA thus far on the show but it will be interesting to see in the coming weeks and months if he gives into his former stalemates.

Hogan and Bischoff's decloration- These two actually take the format of the show and say that it was probably pretty good but they want to do something a little bit different and rip it up. The message throughout the night was that there was that everyone had to earn their keep if they wanted to stay on TNA. I liked it. No favouritism, if you perform well you will be rewarded. It will be interesting to see if this philosophy keeps up as well.

The Nasty Boys Arrive- The Nastys are constantly trying to get into the building when they get a break from Hogan's broadcasting buddy Bubba the Love Sponge. I expected the Nastys to show up, these guys I felt haven't been interesting since their feud with Legion of Doom back in the early 90's.
But they suprised me back in WCW with their great hardcore matches with Public Enemy. I started to get intrigued when they made their way to Team 3D's locker room and started to turn over lockers and spray painted over a nice photograph of D-Von. You know that 3D is not gonna take to this lightly. I can hear the insults flying back between Ray and Knobbs right now and their hardcore war will help put the Nastys on the map and add to 3D's legacy.

Sean Morley shows up to play strip poker with the Beautiful People- I don't know about the rest of you but I was a huge fan of Val Venis in the WWE, his inuendos and the way he carried himself was just so funny and entertaining.
I was really surprised and happy to see him show up. I felt when the Attitude Era died so did any hope of elevating this underrated charismatic star. TNA is a new beginning for Morley and I can't wait to see what they do with him.

Jeff Jarrett arrives- You know people say a lot of good bad things about Jeff Jarrett over the years but you have to respect a guy who believed in an idea and rided it out in the face of everyone (including himself) thinking this is not gonna happen. And there they were 7 years later on a cable network and as Jeff said so emphatically "On a Monday Night!" It must have been a great moment for him personally.

Hogan later came out and said Jeff had no stroke and that he had to get in the back of the line with the rest of the talent. Which had the crowd furious but I think that Jeff still has some spring in his step and I would like to see him wrestle more against young and main event talent.

Ric Flair arrives and shows up at the main event of the evening-
Rumors are rumors and you never really know if they are true 100% until they actually come to fruition. Just like Jeff Hardy, Flair showing up in TNA would have a been a great shocker of it's own. It was interesting to see how he didn't say much when he arrived in his limo, shook some hands of TNA wrestlers and went right into AJ styles lockerroom. What I found very intriguing was how Flair came out during the main event match between Styles and Angle.

Some may say that he just wanted to get a closer look at the top 2 men in TNA. But no I saw his bulging biceps and his smaller stomach under Flair's suit and what was more telling was the look in Flair eye's. He wants back in that ring so bad. And without the constraints put on him by Vince Mcmahon, Flair can be as great as he wants to be... I don't care if he is over 60 this is pro wrestling, anything can happen. All you need is the people backstage to believe in you.
I hope Flair had a good heart to heart with Shawn Michaels cause this old dog is gonna get back in the ring probably sooner than later. I can just feel it.

Hogan comes out after a 5 star match and says Angle and Styles are the two greatest wrestlers in the world- Now the old Hogan in WCW would have never came out after Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero put on a 5 star classic and said this, but I guess this new Hogan is a lot different. I like it. There is a plan in place. Styles and Angle are at the top as the best and everyone eles has to prove that they are worthy to be among the best. It seems like they are gonna do a ladder system. You win you move up and if you lose you go down. If they continue with this I see good things for TNA in the future. Kudos to TNA on captivating, intriguing show that had you watch it to the very end to see what happens.

Bret confronts Vince- Now this wasn't Bret Hart the man talking to Vince Mcmahon the man, this was Bret Hart the man talking "Mr. Mcmahon" the character. I think it was a shoot that Vince wouldn't have been so smarmy and cocky, the things he said near the end of the his speech I thought were more real. That is until he kicked Bret in the stomach. And so begins the story and angle of possibly the most personal feud in wrestling history.

Get your tevo ready everyone the next 5 months in North American pro wrestling is going to be very very exhilarating and I'll be lovin every minute of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

noumenon

I thought that Enzo gave a good run down of why Impact was not as great as some are trying to portray it as. Instead of speaking in generalities, maybe you should try to respond to some of his specifics?

Or maybe people should stop raping every show for every tiny little detail. You're telling me you wouldn't rather see nWo (version whatever, it doesn't matter) over DX duct taping midgets to skate boards, Santino in a wig and whatever other garbage WWE is putting on?
TNA offered the far more entertaining and mature product Monday night. Had WWE done the same, I would admit it in a second. I don't find an obligation to disect WWE to find redeeming qualities in the product, because I should have to. A wrestling show should be entertaining on the surface without having to delve into "Weeeeell, maybe it's setting up something that's going to happen a few months in the future.". I'm sorry but as much as I love Bret Hart the idea of seeing a 50 something year old stroke victim wrestle a 60 something year old steroid engorged CEO doesn't really appeal to me.
TNA offered big names which no one has seen in years, and offered them up tastefully. None of these guys took up more of the show than they had to. And the portions they did made perfect sense and pointed towards a power struggle sotryline more than them getting back into the ring and dominating the company.
You want an example of old fucks dominating a company? Take a look at WWE because they wrote the fucking book on it.

Axis

I never claimed that I would rather watch "DX duct taping midgets to skate boards" over the reincarnation of the nWo. That's a strawman argument. I could easily say "you'd rather watch a clusterfuck cage match that ends in DQ than watch Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart confront after 12 years?" and it would serve to support Raw over Impact. My point being that you cannot simply list one good thing about Impact, compare it to one bad thing about Raw, and conclude that Impact was superior. That's hilariously faulty logic.

Specifics are necessary when analyzing which show had the superior product, at least when making an attempt to view it objectively. Of course, one could just say "I preferred this show over that show," but until you sit down and think about why, the opinion is likely the result of extraneous biases, whatever those might be. I suppose a wrestling discussion forum could be filled with "ZOMG I LUVED THIS SHOW TEHERE WAS SO MANY WRESTLINGZ!" and "YA RITE! MY SHOW HAD TEH BEST PEEPUL TAHT I HAVE NO SEED IN SOOOOO LONG!!1" could be fun for some people, but it gets pretty old, pretty fast. Instead, a substantive discussion is needed in order to truly analyze which show is superior. If you feel as though such a conversation is over your head, or perhaps you're far and above the lowly posters who wish to partake in substantive debate, then I suppose you may be excused. However, I will continue "raping every show" so that I can learn new perspectives from my fellow posters, and hopefully share some of my perspectives with them.

noumenon

You take shit way too far sometimes. Obviously it's my opinion if it's what I'm writing. I didn't think I needed to clarify that.
Not everything needs to be nitpicked for every detail. I think it's more than enough to say that I barely changed the channel from TNA, and when I did I almost immediately wanted to change back because of what WWE was running at the same time.

Bottom line is that TNA stepped up their product big time and did a great job of generating interest in it. On the other hand WWE put on the same cookie cutter show they have been doing for months now with the addition of Bret Hart. Sure I was excited to see Bret, but we all know this isn't going anywhere other than some heated promos and maybe a painful to watch match between him and Vince.

Axis

Yes, because Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart together for the first time in 12 years, and then FUCKING HUGGING is the same fucking shit.