Your thoughts on Roman Reigns?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Never Liked the SHIELD but since they are not together I started to Like Roman let's see if he will be a favorite of mine

The Shield was great, mainly because of the 'unnoficial' leader in Ambrose, and the great wrestler in Rollins, in my opinion. But I guess you didn't like 'em, simply because you just don't like the bad guys. :heenan:

Last edited:

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I miss Batista. Reigns shouldn't be cutting drawn out promos, just have the guy say one line about how he's gonna destroy everyone. He's not the guy who will fit the cookie cutter mold very well in the main event because any long scripted promos by him will suck.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I miss Batista. Reigns shouldn't be cutting drawn out promos, just have the guy say one line about how he's gonna destroy everyone. He's not the guy who will fit the cookie cutter mold very well in the main event because any long scripted promos by him will suck.

He's also been using words like 'ass' and 'bitch' way too much. I mean, I'm all up for some profanity, obviously, but this guy's worn out those words. lol

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
He's also been using words like 'ass' and 'bitch' way too much. I mean, I'm all up for some profanity, obviously, but this guy's worn out those words. lol
Yeah, overusing profanity (especially in WWE where it's not always done) kills the effect, plus when it's in the middle of a lame promo it just sounds corny.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Yeah, overusing profanity (especially in WWE where it's not always done) kills the effect, plus when it's in the middle of a lame promo it just sounds corny.

Yeah, I'm tellin' ya, he's already Cena 2.0

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
He has potential but they need to stop rushing him. It ain't going to work if they rush it.

Also they need to stop booking him like a powerhouse since he doesn't have any powermoves. They need to book him more like the Rock, who was a big guy with surprising athleticism. I've seen Roman do HBK style kip ups. The dude is surprisingly agile. Use that.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I am mostly in the middle. I have no strong feelings for or against Roman Reigns.

The points made that I agree with the most are in regards to him being pushed too fast. People have compared him to Batista, but his push reminds me more of Kevin Nash's first push as Diesel. He's going to be given the belt too quickly and that won't be good for him.

Reigns will likely have a year or a year and a half as the top guy in the company without a serious change in character. His character seems too manufactured and although he is popular, these manufactured pushes only go so far. He won't have the longevity at the top such as the likes of Hogan, Rock, Austin, Bret Hart or John Cena.

Most of this is based not really off of him personally, but how the WWE is pushing him.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
As for people saying he can't wrestling. I'm not sure if you watched him in FCW and NXT but the guy was a beast in the ring, and had a swagger only peaked by Kevin Nash while in the WCW nWo. He was watered down and given a gimmick that he can't play well. Which happened to a lot of people when the developmental system wasn't highlighted on TV.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
This argument is a tad silly when you consider Dean Ambrose is his contemporary.
Ambrose is big enough and far far more advanced on the stick. The crowd digs him and he hasn't even touched his peak.
Bray Wyatt is another great talent whose already there in terms of his character.

WWE has to push Reigns to cater to Vince's imagination and the prevailing notion that big and sexy sells.
However, Randy Orton was very energetic and charismatic before he got bored and it all fell apart.
I see Reigns phoning it in and getting bored. The success will come and he'll get bored or they'll be forced to turn him heel.
Punk wanted to be the guy, but he doesn't like people. You can't teach that. You either like people or you don't. Reigns is too much of a lone wolf.

I like this discussion, but its blatantly obvious how Reigns will turn out. We can be optimistic, but history has proven cats like that fizzle out.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I like him. I unfortunately see him ending up as another Diesel/Lex Luger, but I'm at least willing to give him a chance before I dump on him completely. He's over, his merch is doing real well, he's got the crowd's support, he's young, hungry and eager to improve, he isn't bad in the ring, etc. His mediocre verbal skills are his only big flaw, but that can easily be masked by not booking him to go out there and cut lengthy promos, at least not until he improves in that area.

They're kinda rushing him to the top a bit but sometimes you gotta take a chance. Not everyone has to languish in the middle of the card for a set amount of time before being pushed to the top. There's no set formula for someone becoming a main event star. Batista was a midcarder doing nothing in Evolution and it was only four months after they began teasing tension between he and HHH that he became a main event star for life. Putting the title on Goldberg less than a full year after he debuted didn't exactly do him any harm. Nothing says that magic can't happen with Reigns by having him go over Lesnar.

And to be fair, who else would be a better choice to defeat Brock? Bryan likely won't be back in time, Ziggler is never gonna be that guy, Rollins is a heel, Ambrose has still yet to win a single noteworthy match and isn't anymore popular Reigns at the moment, Orton is already a huge star with numerous accolades to his name and doesn't need a big one of this kind, lol @ Ryback, Punk just signed with UFC and isn't coming back anytime soon, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.