WWE announces Survivor Series set for Chicago

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I swear people have been putting MITB in the big 4 over Survivor Series for the past few years or so.
I think it’s a big five now. I don’t think we have to pick one or the other.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I swear people have been putting MITB in the big 4 over Survivor Series for the past few years or so.
no, they haven't. They have been including as a 5th yearly big one.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
SaudiMania has become real PLEs in the past like 2 years, before that they meant fuck all. I get people skip it for personal reasons but now that it's a real PLE and it feels like a much bigger show.

And I laugh because the prevailing thought with Survivor Series when it was Raw vs. Smackdown was that the next night it meant nothing. But now we talk about battle of World Champions meaning something. I was there in 2021 when Big E Wrestled Roman Reigns. It meant less than nothing and that show as a whole meant jack shit and the shows the years prior meant the same.
Eh, I can't totally argue with the point about the brand warfare angle ending up being unimportant but it did at least produce dream matches that people care to remember, specifically Brock vs. AJ and Bryan, which were two of the best WWE matches of the decade for me.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Eh, I can't totally argue with the point about the brand warfare angle ending up being unimportant but it did at least produce dream matches that people care to remember, specifically Brock vs. AJ and Bryan, which were two of the best WWE matches of the decade for me.
I would add that while it ended up unimportant to fans, it was always built up as a big deal. Whether it met those expectations is a different discussion to me

#digression

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I mean, regardless of the brand warfare stuff I think just the fact that they did wargames at last in the WWE and they saved it for survivor series means that they still value that branding.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
And at the end of the day, I believe perception is reality. Fans know the legacy of Survivor Series and if you polled fans at shows to name the 4 biggest WWE PPVs, I'm sure at least 80% would name Survivor Series.

Fwiw though I would say it's now a Big 5 with MITB in the mix.

And as an aside, I do find it crazy that with how hot WWE is doing business-wise currently, they can't put MITB and/or Survivor Series in at least a baseball stadium and draw like 20-30k.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
And at the end of the day, I believe perception is reality. Fans know the legacy of Survivor Series and if you polled fans at shows to name the 4 biggest WWE PPVs, I'm sure at least 80% would name Survivor Series.

Fwiw though I would say it's now a Big 5 with MITB in the mix.

And as an aside, I do find it crazy that with how hot WWE is doing business-wise currently, they can't put MITB and/or Survivor Series in at least a baseball stadium and draw like 20-30k.
Agree with you on all that.

I personally think Saudi is above it. At least Crown Jewel is. But that's just me and not relevant here.

MitB in a Baseball Stadium is damn near impossible as the show is during baseball season. They tried to put it in the Las Vegas Raiders (NFL) stadium but they couldn't sell it for shit so they moved it to the arena.

Wargames in a stadium could work but the issue is that the fans are exponentially further from the ring and watching from far away through a fence means you ain't seeing shit. Also don't know if they can have the War Games Cage hanging above the ring in a stadium.

Reactions: Hoss

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I mean, regardless of the brand warfare stuff I think just the fact that they did wargames at last in the WWE and they saved it for survivor series means that they still value that branding.
I mean there's definitely value in the branding there's no doubt about that, it just felt like it lost it's luster outside of maybe 2019 when they added NXT to it. Switching it up to a pretty fresh gimmick match in WarGames just feels like a way to make it important again.

I'm still agreeing with Trooper on it for the most part though.

Reactions: Storm Trooper

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Agree with you on all that.

I personally think Saudi is above it. At least Crown Jewel is. But that's just me and not relevant here.

MitB in a Baseball Stadium is damn near impossible as the show is during baseball season. They tried to put it in the Las Vegas Raiders (NFL) stadium but they couldn't sell it for shit so they moved it to the arena.

Wargames in a stadium could work but the issue is that the fans are exponentially further from the ring and watching from far away through a fence means you ain't seeing shit. Also don't know if they can have the War Games Cage hanging above the ring in a stadium.
These are valid points. Trying to put MITB in a football stadium was QUITE ambitious, even if they were just aiming for like 40k.

Reactions: Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
These are valid points. Trying to put MITB in a football stadium was QUITE ambitious, even if they were just aiming for like 40k.
I'll tell you a great place for MITB but don't think they can do it contractually. Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Wasn't it the UFC being in Vegas on the same weekend that killed MITB and not necessarily it just being in a stadium

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Wasn't it the UFC being in Vegas on the same weekend that killed MITB and not necessarily it just being in a stadium
that was part of it but they also just didn't sell anything.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I'll tell you a great place for MITB but don't think they can do it contractually. Arthur Ashe Stadium.
It's a great venue for any show I'd say.
I'm sure that's what the press said. :slip:

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
It's a great venue for any show I'd say.

I'm sure that's what the press said. :slip:
Yeah it's great for Rasslin. Only annoying part is that you have to walk through the entire campus to get to Arthur Ashe, and the setup doesn't allow for easy merch inside the stadium, but a lot more outside the stadium. Just bet AEW won't let them run it in July (hell the USTA may not since they need to prep for the US Open which starts a few weeks later.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Yeah it's great for Rasslin. Only annoying part is that you have to walk through the entire campus to get to Arthur Ashe, and the setup doesn't allow for easy merch inside the stadium, but a lot more outside the stadium. Just bet AEW won't let them run it in July (hell the USTA may not since they need to prep for the US Open which starts a few weeks later.
Related I guess but also unrelated to the actual subject...

It's interesting how few open air stadiums in there seems to be in the US that fill that gap between the 10-20k capacity of basketball stadiums and the 60k+ of a lot of football stadiums :lol It's basically just baseball stadiums and Arthur Ashe it seems like