WS Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame 2023 Induction Ceremony

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Damn I meant to mention the shooting star :slip:

• Haha
Reactions: Chris and Alexa

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Fucking awesome, first one off of my list if I remember right too lol

• Love
Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I also learned while looking at bios for him that he wrestled Toshiaki Kawada in the high school wrestling national championship :WOW

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Indeed. Bonus fact Kawada wrestled a Junior style when he began in AJPW

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
With the madness of WrestleMania weekend in the rearview, it is now time to unveil the third inductee!

The next man we shall be inducting is what happens when breathtaking agility and undeniable charisma coalesce into one generational talent. Embarking on a 35 year career by leaving his native Japan to train in Mexico, this man would ultimately return to his home country to forge a career that has led him into countless pro wrestling halls of fame, now including our very own! 11-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion, 6-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion, 3-time winner of Best of the Super Juniors, 2-time Super J Cup winner, 1-time GHC Junior Heavyweight and Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion, 1-time holder of the J-Crown, only to mention a handful of the accomplishments all amounting to what could easily be argued as the greatest Junior Heavyweight career of all time! Please welcome to the Wrestling Smarks Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame --

JUSHIN

"THUNDER"
LIGER

aNpAOk4.png

That’s right - the iconic masked super junior has joined the ranks of our prestigious honorees. After returning from excursion and donning the Jushin Liger persona, based off a popular anime hero, Liger’s career exploded with him quickly becoming a top junior heavyweight in NJPW and capturing the Junior Heavyweight Title within a year. This was nothing if not a sign of things to come, with Liger going on to become an institution of the division, solidifying himself as one of the best workers of the 90s and beyond en route to dozens of championship wins on multiple continents. Fans from different eras and regions may all have different matches and moments that come to mind when thinking of Liger, due to his constant globetrotting over the course of 30-plus prolific careers in the industry. Some will think of Super J clashes with opponents such as The Great Sasuke. Others will think of Liger wrestling on the debut episode of WCW Nitro against Brian Pillman. Or maybe his transformation into the sadistic Kishin Liger to combat the fierce Great Muta. In the not-so-distant past, Liger even made a surprise appearance at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn to battle Tyler Breeze. Jushin “Thunder” Liger covered a spectacular amount of ground and always left fans amazed, not just by his brilliant attire, or even his impeccable technique between the ropes, but by his tangible love of the sport of pro wrestling. Liger revolutionized the game and laid the groundwork for so many performers of today, but beyond that, he also set a standard for true professionalism and dedication to his craft throughout an illustrious 35 years. Rightly so… today… Jushin “Thunder” Liger joins the Wrestling Smarks Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame!
:goku one of the absolute goats

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
i can't describe how happy and cool it - for a Japanese talent to have made the hall of fame

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
He wasnt in my top 5 but top 10. I am super happy because it was a more practical decision on my part.

Owen n funk def were tho. I do think they gonna b at least 1 more japanessle talent too this year

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
He wasn't in my ten or five. But still thrilled. Realized Owen was actually one of nominations for five though lol

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
HELL YEAH, Liger is great. I could watch Liger matches forever and just always be thrilled with them. He just has this energy in his matches. He has this fast pace but he can make power moves look so damn stiff. Was without a doubt in my top five and glad to see him make it in.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Wasn’t on my list lmao. Bruh if Dusty doesn’t get inducted I’m really gonna have a stroke :lol

But of course Liger is fucking awesome.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Inoki ain't going to get in this year now. I can just feel that in the water now.

• Sad
Reactions: Death By Looch

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
It’s now time to unveil the fourth of our five inductees of 2023.

Following the virtuosic Jushin “Thunder” Liger is a man whose career would frequently intertwine and parallel the charismatic super junior. In fact, the two men were even apart of the same historic New Japan Dojo training class, which also featured luminaries and likely future Hall of Famers in their own rights - Shinya Hashimoto and Masahiro Chono. Yes, many of you clearly know where I’m going with this. We are inducting one of the Three Musketeers of NJPW today. A man whose expansive career would be a humbling task to try and cover at length in such a write-up as this. What is probably most important to remember about this man is the ways that he pushed the sport forward with the art he created in the ring. The popularity of several moves is owed to this man. He also influenced future generations of characters with his mesmerizing showmanship. Over a career that went close to 40 long years, this man would capture the IWGP Heavyweight Title, the All Japan Triple Crown, the GHC Heavyweight Championship, as well as the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, putting him in an elite class of competitors to have captured all four of these legendary belts… only alongside Satoshi Kojima and the aforementioned Shinya Hashimoto. So, let’s get to the announcement! Please welcome to the Wrestling Smarks Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame –

"THE GREAT MUTA"

KEIJI MUTO

akPGwmq.png

What is a Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame without “The Genius of Wrestling”? We would be foolish not to enshrine the man who popularized such moves as the moonsault and shining wizard… the man who became a megastar in pro wrestling under two different, distinct identities which he juggled simultaneously… the man upon whom the fabled “Muta Scale” is based. Well, no need to worry about that. Muto joins an already rich and growing tapestry of superstars in our Hall of Fame who are noted for their versatility and ability to adapt as their careers went along. The likes of Mick Foley and Jushin Liger share this quality with the man that WCW loved to call “The Pearl of Orient”. What perhaps makes Muto distinct from his peers is the fact that he continually kept his personas separate, never intending for Keiji Muto and The Great Muta to be looked at as the same person. He would keep the mystique by changing everything from his body language, to his emotions, to his overall style of wrestling when he would switch between personas, essentially carving out two different first ballot Hall of Fame careers at the same time, and you could even argue on two different continents. North American fans will have no issue seeing the man known as Muta being honored by a Hall of Fame induction because his runs with WCW are nothing if not memorable. Muta would famously feud and tag alongside “The Icon” Sting throughout the years, and even main-evented WCW’s Halloween Havoc 1989 alongside Terry Funk, against Sting and Ric Flair. Over the years, he would continue to crop up in places like Impact, ROH and PWG, always being treated with the due reverence.

Meanwhile in Japan, Muto will undeniably go down as one of the most influential figures in the country’s pro wrestling history. He was an ahead-of-his-time agile heavyweight competitor, who captivated audiences in the 90s with long and storied feuds against Shinya Hashimoto, Hiroshi Hase and Masahiro Chono. In the 2000s, Muto defected to AJPW where he would also become the company’s president, following the defection of Mitsuharu Misawa, setting into motion much debate over his reign in the company. However, during this time, as he aged beyond his 40s and the wear and tear of his knees began to catch up to him, he would change styles further to keep his offense more grounded and the focus shifted more towards his aura and schtick, than his actual workrate. However, this did not mean that Muto was headed towards retirement by any means. Muto turned back the clock and won New Japan’s IWGP Heavyweight Title from Shinsuke Nakamura in 2008, and then doubled down by winning the All Japan Triple Crown Heavyweight Title under the Muta moniker, simultaneously holding the two most storied titles in all of Japan at the age of 45. In 2012, he was forced to resign as AJPW president following a shift in ownership and a scandal that took place on his watch, going on to open up a new promotion known as Wrestle-1, which would form a memorable partnership with TNA. After 7 years of running W-1, Muto moved on to Pro Wrestling NOAH where he would pursue the only prize which had eluded him up to this point: the GHC Heavyweight Title. In February 2021, he would accomplish his goal by defeating Go Shiozaki at the age of 58. Of course, Muto winded down his iconic career very recently with a retirement tour that would put just about anyone else to shame. As The Great Muta, he would battle WWE’s Shinsuke Nakamura at NOAH The New Year 2023, returning the favor and putting over the “King of Strong Style”. He then had his final match in a New Japan ring, teaming with Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shota Umino to defeat Los Ingobernables de Japon. In his final match under the Great Muta persona, he would team with Sting and Darby Allin to defeat a trio of his past rivals under the NOAH banner. And finally, in his last bout, “The Genius of Wrestling” Keiji Muto battled “The Stardust Genius” Tetsuya Naito in a poetic final chapter to the career of one of Japan’s all-time icons, going a competitive 30 minutes and leaving fans with an eternal memory of an absolute legend, finally leaving the ring at the age of 60 and walking directly into multiple Halls of Fame… notably, this one!

Everyone please give a round of applause and warm welcome to the next member of the Wrestling Smarks Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame, class of 2023, “The Great Muta” Keiji Muta!