Would You Watch AEW?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
AEW from everything that I've read, is basically just gonna be a rehash of the boring early Evolve days, except with a little more money/publicity and a fan base consisting of almost entirely the worst kind of smarks on the planet.

I fucking love it because hopefully they can take the shitty overrated talent and the shitty fan base away from my companies I actually like and support. But as far as watching it, huuuuge pass from me
You are only passing on it because it doesn't have Mid-Nineties Kevin Nash, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Crash

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
I'm hoping this doesn't become a pure wrestling kind of show. Wrestling without storylines is just really boring imo

Reaction score
Oh yeah, especially if it's on Netlix, would love that. I seriously hope it brings back the Monday Night Wars or something similar.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I'm hoping this doesn't become a pure wrestling kind of show. Wrestling without storylines is just really boring imo

Definitely my biggest concern. Im just wondering who could they assign to be the head of creative? They need someone with a healthy mix of having a wrestling background but also a television production background and i feel like thats gonna be the hardest part. I have a feeling that Cody and the Young Bucks are just gonna decide to run creative and its not gonna live up to anything special

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
No the difference in WWE is theres Vince, HHH, Pat Patterson, Michael Hayes, and various other creative writers and AEW im assuming is going to have the actual wrestlers decide on creative. Which i believe they will be able to write and work good matches but will they be able to write TV? Interesting drama? I doubt it

It seems like you’re saying that too many people in creative makes the writing worse. But then you mention that WWE does have a lot of people in creative,but your original statement doesn’t apply simply because those many people are good at their job.

If you make an assertion that too many cooks spoil the broth, it has to apply to everyone.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
It seems like you’re saying that too many people in creative makes the writing worse. But then you mention that WWE does have a lot of people in creative,but your original statement doesn’t apply simply because those many people are good at their job.

If you make an assertion that too many cooks spoil the broth, it has to apply to everyone.

Well Vince is the ultimate decision maker. I think WWE already does have too many cooks in its kitchen and thats why their creative decisions arent always the best (or at least what they used to be) but Vince is still the filter for everything.

As i said in a previous post, i feel like AEW is most likely going to end up with Cody, The Young Bucks, and their friends running creative. I feel like they will book good matches and perform well but when it comes to being a scipted television production with characters, storylines, angles, and everything, I think it could suffer a bit to make it interesting and relevant enough to draw a large audience.

People talk a lot of trash about Vince McMahon but god damn hes always going to be the best and the gold standard of wrestling production.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well Vince is the ultimate decision maker. I think WWE already does have too many cooks in its kitchen and thats why their creative decisions arent always the best (or at least what they used to be) but Vince is still the filter for everything.

As i said in a previous post, i feel like AEW is most likely going to end up with Cody, The Young Bucks, and their friends running creative. I feel like they will book good matches and perform well but when it comes to being a scipted television production with characters, storylines, angles, and everything, I think it could suffer a bit to make it interesting and relevant enough to draw a large audience.

People talk a lot of trash about Vince McMahon but god damn hes always going to be the best and the gold standard of wrestling production.

I love Vince but I don’t believe he micromanages creative as much as people think he does.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I love Vince but I don’t believe he micromanages creative as much as people think he does.

Oh theres no way he could. 5 hours of television every week and PPVs with over 100 talents. Hes got so many other hats hes gotta wear. But he is still the filter and definitely makes the final call on the biggers angle. All the lower card and filler matches he most likely isnt involved.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

All In had several storyline matches. Cody and Aldis was heavily built with the NWA's YouTube channel, Adam Page and Joey had build up (even if it was built around dicks), even Marty had build up, Amell vs Daniels had build up, Flip Gordan had a lot of build up trying to get on the show, they did have storylines with their show. Just it was mostly done through their YouTube channel and online media. If they have a TV show, then I am sure they will be using it to create storylines.

It is not to say there may be some matches which are put together mainly to "put on a good show," but as long as it is done occasionally, then I think it will be helpful to hopefully keep matches fresh aside from WWE's formula of "They are in a story, they must face each other constantly!" (I say after playing WWE 2k19 and got bored of Universe mode due to being in a long storyline with Bobby Roode)"

I do trust them to make storylines and build feuds for big matches. Even if the storyline isn't something as complex as "You're sleeping with my wife, you burned my house down, turned my friend against me, and ran over my dog, I'm gonna beat you," something as simple as "I have a reason not to like you" or "I have this motivation to win the title," works.

Reactions: Doxo

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Oh theres no way he could. 5 hours of television every week and PPVs with over 100 talents. Hes got so many other hats hes gotta wear. But he is still the filter and definitely makes the final call on the biggers angle. All the lower card and filler matches he most likely isnt involved.

I hope you know, buddy that I only debate you aggressively because I respect you and your opt

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Biggest angles ever in WWF were basically 3 or 4 guys. VInce, Pat Patterson, Bruce Pritchard and a few others did most of the big ones like the Megapowers imploding. Smaller creative team with 30 or 40 wrestlers is all you really need.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
As for the Bucks not drawing in casuals, hi.

I started watching wrestling in 2008 and quickly became a Smackdown-only guy, watching Hardy's fantastic 2009 feud with CM Punk. When Hardy left and signed with Impact, I thought it was weird and had to check out the now infamous January 4, 2010 Impact. Hardy drew me in. As a casual I didn't think much about it, enjoyed the PPV-quality main event and gave it a shot next week thinking it would be fun to check this second wrestling company out... and the first match that next episode was MCMG vs the Young Bucks.

As someone whose wrestling knowledge was VERY limited, that match blew me away. The atheticism. The action. Yeah it was "just a spotfest" but I didn't know better and that's largely what made TNA my preferred promotion for the next several years. (If you want a spotfest watch WWE. :pipebomb:)

Recently in NJPW in the heavyweight division they've improved dramatically. Not just doing the same signature spots, but adding more varied offense and, yes, adding more psychology to their work.

As for the OP, yeah for the first month. I'm just struggling to picture them stepping up in a really bloated wrestling market.

Reactions: Doxo

<123>

Jobber
Reaction score
I'd check it out. The problem being a UK WWE fan is that if you're not a Sky Sports subscriber like me, I cannot watch the live episodes. This means I have to watch the highlights, then wait for the full programme to be uploaded onto the WWE Network.

If the AEW was broadcasting here or was readily available, I'd watch them for sure. I'm all for new promoters; it brings fresh entertainment.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Dave Meltzer reporting that AEW are going to compete with WWE for Brock Lesnar when his current contract expires.

I just don't get why he is so highly thought off.....is he that big a draw?
He is that big of a draw. I’ve heard that any PPV he headlines is guaranteed to sell out fast and ratings typically spike when he’s on Raw. WWE’s stock has also grown drastically with him and Styles as champ.