Why do the writers make Ryder so goofy around women?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

IA-SteveB

Reaction score
It almost seems like the character of Zack Ryder is SUPPOSED to have such a weird dichotomy. On the surface, he seems like a cool guy who is very confident and sure of himself and could probably be quite the ladies man. He walks down the entrance ramp and does his "call me" gesture to the pretty ladies. However, when he is around Eve, he comes off as a seventeen year old nerd who has never seen a bare boob. I had to laugh during Monday Night RAW this week when Eve asked what hotel he was staying in while in Miami. She said he should come and stay at the same hotel as she was. Whoa! Don't move too fast! I was thinking she was going to ask him to stay with her, which would have probably stopped his heart. He had a tough enough time asking her out to, like, dinner. :)

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
You've answered your own question.
he comes off as a seventeen year old nerd who has never seen a bare boob
People that watch wrestling need to be able to relate to someone and that's someone (also an underdog) that some people in the audience can relate to and root for.

IA-SteveB

Reaction score
True. I guess I was used to the old WCW days where "anything goes." I guess WWE is for a younger demographic. I have only been watching wrestling again for a few months since my little boy loves it. We always watch RAW and Smackdown and are buying the WM PPV. :)

BDC

Reaction score
You've answered your own question. People that watch wrestling need to be able to relate to someone and that's someone (also an underdog) that some people in the audience can relate to and root for.

To true, like a Peter Parker kinda character. We look at Cena and the Rock and say, "No way I'll ever be that good."

But Ryder and guys like him gives us hope.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
To true, like a Peter Parker kinda character. We look at Cena and the Rock and say, "No way I'll ever be that good."

But Ryder and guys like him gives us hope.

Dont lump me in with the sad sacks.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I don't think WWE is trying to make Zack Ryder relatable. I think this is the WWE's attempt to bury Zack Ryder. They make me look like a fool the same way they made him Kane's bitch.

I was thinking about this recently, and I think it's cause Zack Ryder is so over, WWE can do whatever they want with him and his merchandise is still gonna sell. That's what it's all about isnt it? WWE has no real intention to push Ryder IMO, they just want him over enough to sell. And I don't think Ryder will be any more over than he is now. He could lose every match from here til the end of the year, and his stuff will still sell. So the WWE is gonna do whatever they want with him, including making him look like a fool.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
You've answered your own question. People that watch wrestling need to be able to relate to someone and that's someone (also an underdog) that some people in the audience can relate to and root for.

I think that's kind of a cop out. To me a strong, relatable (which my spell check doesn't think is a word) character is someone who has flaws, but either embraces them or overcomes them. Exploring a character's weakness or hypocrisy is one thing, but making you character look totally weak is another. People aren't going to sympathise with someone who inherently doesn't seem to have much strength.

Rey Mysterio is relatable because is a fully capable competitor but is against the odds in every match because of his size, so he uses his small frame for superior speed. He embraces his biggest weakness and turns it into his strongest attribute.

Zack Ryder has gained some ground but is still an average competitor hovering just above Santino level, so he's barely proven himself as a competitor even in kayfabe so we have little reason to invest in him already. He's also been booked to seem either gullible, willfully ignorant, or just stupid in his angle with Eve. He's not even being manipulated, he literally obeys her every suggestion usually without question. If anything I'm only enjoying Eve's character, which is so terrible because I was actually a little hyped about Ryder breaking through, if confused.

I don't even dislike Ryder, but I can draw absolutely no sympathy for his weak, one-dimensional character who, despite his opportunities over the last 6 months, has failed to impress me. I'm just kinda indifferent, I almost feel like I should like him but I can't see the appeal.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
But are you a 17 year old kid who hasn't touched a boobie before? Cause if you aren't then your response is completely appropriate. I think we'll see Ryder slowly grow into a more adult character assuming he doesn't quit or get fired.

Besides aren't you guys asking a lot from a company that had this

eugene4grande.jpg

on the roster. Basically they've gone from the 6 year old to a tween this is a good thing.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Yeah but being a blueberry isn't Zack Ryder's gimmick. He's supposed to be this Jersey Shore knockoff dude-bro.

All of a sudden he's the 30 year old virgin? (I don't know how old he is)

That's not an intriguing character flaw that earns my sympathy, he's a poser. The guy that cockblocked me that one time.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Well his character has always been to me like a little kid pretending to be a jersey shore guy.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Everyone calls Zack Ryder a Jersey Shore knockoff, yet he debuted with his current gimmick May 5, 2009. Jersey Shore premiered December 3, 2009.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Zack's from Long Island right? I'm in Australia so I'm geographically ignorant of this stuff but I'm sure that Jersey Shore-esque culture was already somewhat ingrained in him and influenced his gimmick before a related reality show came out, so its kinda the same thing.

In other words, when I call Ryder's character a JS knockoff I'm referring more to the general culture the show portrays, not the show itself.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The best reason I can think of for this is similar to what CWalker said. WWE didn't have anything to do with Ryder's popularity and because of that they aren't going to push him to the moon. We have all seen how WWE are hesistant to push someone that has been successful elsewhere without WWE first burying them and then repushing them so that they can take the credit for their success. Ryder became popular because of his YouTube show which was something he created on his own with no help from WWE. If this was a WWE creation I doubt what has happened in the past few months to Ryder would have happened. Hopefully WWE find a happy medium and change his character back to what it was a cut back on the ridiculous storylines.

Pete

Reaction score
Because that's how most of us act around the girl we've got a crush on..? I dunno...

Duh. Obvious answer is obvious.

And as anyone who has seen Z! TLIS will tell you, Zack's a nerd putting on a Jersey Shore act because it gets the girls. We've all been there, done that. His secret nerdiness is what makes the show's early episodes so well-written and funny (the PSA's kill me).