Who is the bigger star?......Reigns or Ambrose

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
It has a lot to do with their positions. Roman's out there dying on the vine doing 20 minute monologues in opening segments like every top guy is, while Ambrose's promos are usually kept short, sweet, and effective. Switch those two around and how over would Reigns be? Maybe if Roman was "held back", fans would be more accepting of the massive improvements in the ring he's made on top of getting Cesaro heat, and years and years of begging for Guy X to be pushed wouldn't be forced to change overnight, as the fans bitch about Ambrose the same way they did Rollins.

Also Roman has more credible offense than anyone on the roster. A 280 pound Samoan swat team badass trucking you looks like it SUCKS. There's an appeal to that
Of course if the pushes were reversed the crowd reaction would be the same. Ambrose over exposed would be jeered and Reigns in small doses would have people salivating for more. That is honestly one of my biggest turn offs in watching WWE or reading about it in 2016. The fans fickle asses are so transparent with their whining

Vince being so hands on (if reports are to be believed) in Roman's push was another big factor in ruining his character and having the mega push backfire.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Of course if the pushes were reversed the crowd reaction would be the same. Ambrose over exposed would be jeered and Reigns in small doses would have people salivating for more. That is honestly one of my biggest turn offs in watching WWE or reading about it in 2016. The fans fickle asses are so transparent with their whining

Vince being so hands on (if reports are to be believed) in Roman's push was another big factor in ruining his character and having the mega push backfire.

lol Completely wrong. When people love a superstar enough, they generally want to see them more and more and can almost never get enough of them. I didn't see people growing tired or apathetic of Punk during his 434 day title reign (some of his biggest reactions were even as a heel) or Bryan during his short run at the top. People were booing and rejecting Reigns before he even became champion for the first time.

Fickle fans on the internet don't represent the majority of the fanbase.

Reactions: Neptune

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I doubt Reigns talking less would benefit him as much as people think it would. Jeff Hardy had pretty terrible mic skills, but was still extremely popular. RVD, too. Goldberg goes without mentioning. If you have charisma in spades, then a lack of good verbal skills shouldn't be enough to hold you back completely. He just isn't interesting enough for most people it seems to really get behind the way WWE wants them to.

All these guys had something in common though: WWE/WCW knew what they were doing with them. They understood the appeal to RVD was that he did stuff in the ring that others didn't. They understood Jeff Hardy was willing to jump off scaffolds onto people. They figured out Goldberg killin' dudes in 2 minutes every Nitro became must-see TV, so they ran with these things.

What will they run with with Roman to get him to be the star they want him to be?

To your last point, yeah, they could have run with a Daniel Bryan title reign for a while. Maybe the appeal was more in the chase, but I doubt they seriously would have problems keeping the belt on him for a year at his peak.

You sure about that?

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
lol Completely wrong. When people love a superstar enough, they generally want to see them more and more and can almost never get enough of them. I didn't see people growing tired or apathetic of Punk during his 434 day title reign (some of his biggest reactions were even as a heel) or Bryan during his short run at the top. People were booing and rejecting Reigns before he even became champion for the first time.

I'd say fickle fans and children represent the majority of the fanbase. And people liked Punk and Bryan because they felt like they were anti-establishment, the Indie fags that the average fan never expected to succeed in WWE. Your examples just prove my point, fans love those guys because they weren't the hand chosen stars and the fans felt they had a hand in their success, obviously moreso with dick butt.

People hated Reigns because the business is overexposed and they knew the people backstage wanted him to be a main eventer. The fans get a puffed up chest and say "wahhhh no you can't tell us who to cheer for!" and decide to hate on Reigns no matter what the guy does. How is that fun?

Snowman1

Reaction score
Seemed like everyone was excited about Reigns as a main eventer when he was kicking the shit out of Hunter at TLC.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Seemed like everyone was excited about Reigns as a main eventer when he was kicking the shit out of Hunter at TLC.
I don't remember any real backlash until leading up to the RR that everyone knew he was going to win. Then suddenly everyone was an expert booker and wasn't ready for the main event at Mania. Nevermind that his match at Mania vs Lesnar was excellent, he wasn't ready!

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I don't remember any real backlash until leading up to the RR that everyone knew he was going to win. Then suddenly everyone was an expert booker and wasn't ready for the main event at Mania. Nevermind that his match at Mania vs Lesnar was excellent, he wasn't ready!

The backlash wouldn't have happened in the first place if DB wasn't announced 2 weeks in advance for the event (gotta draw them Network subscribers, baby!) only to get tossed out like he was a nobody. And Vince thought the whole show wasn't gonna be boycotted? Idiot.

DB should've been left out the Rumble and Reigns would've been fine, plain and simple.

I agree about Reigns vs Lesnar match, though. Great stuff. His match against Trips at this year's Mania will be great, too!

Snowman1

Reaction score

Wait, which rumble are we talking about? I'm lost. Late 2015 TLC/post Brock match/this year, or the 2015 debacle?

Also "predictable" is becoming the worst buzzword lol. Reigns wasn't predictable this year since everyone and their mother called the Triple H return because the story was right for it. (They completely fucked it up the next night, but even I enjoyed a Triple H return. Seriously.) And everyone really liked the Rumble outside of Roman getting beaten down by the League of Losers.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Wait, which rumble are we talking about? I'm lost. Late 2015 TLC/post Brock match/this year, or the 2015 debacle?

Also "predictable" is becoming the worst buzzword lol. Reigns wasn't predictable this year since everyone and their mother called the Triple H return because the story was right for it. (They completely fucked it up the next night, but even I enjoyed a Triple H return. Seriously.) And everyone really liked the Rumble outside of Roman getting beaten down by the League of Losers.
2015 obviously lol. I've already forgotten what happened in this year's Rumble. What, Trips won? lol

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I'd say fickle fans and children represent the majority of the fanbase. And people liked Punk and Bryan because they felt like they were anti-establishment, the Indie fags that the average fan never expected to succeed in WWE. Your examples just prove my point, fans love those guys because they weren't the hand chosen stars and the fans felt they had a hand in their success, obviously moreso with dick butt.

People hated Reigns because the business is overexposed and they knew the people backstage wanted him to be a main eventer. The fans get a puffed up chest and say "wahhhh no you can't tell us who to cheer for!" and decide to hate on Reigns no matter what the guy does. How is that fun?

Yeah, I'm sure people didn't love them because they were drawn to their charisma, personalities, ring work, etc. No, must be because the fans felt like rebelling against the system and decided to start supporting guys with less conventional/unorthodox looks instead of the usual customary-looking guys that WWE prefers. I guess that's why guys like Bret Hart, Rey Mysterio, Mick Foley, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, etc. were all champions, too.

If Reigns' push fails in the end (it will), it'll simply be because he isn't interesting enough to get behind at that level. Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with how hard they've pushed Reigns so far (every top babyface gets a super push), he personally just isn't captivating enough to see in the spot.

FeudTube

Jobber
Reaction score
Honestly, It's still Reigns.
He might not be the most over with the smart marks and etc but he's still the guy most likely to be on the Wrestlemania poster or doing talk shows and etc... Ambrose is an internet darling right now. He might reach that level some day but reigns is still their guy.

Neptune

我很喜歡吃餅乾
Reaction score

There is an entire wrestling fan-base out there that has nothing to do with fickle internet complainers or kids buddy.

Also, not everyone goes against what they are spoon fed. Most of the time, they just eat it up. Roman was actually liked when he was in the shield. Once they broke up ans people seen how good Ambrose was solo... How good Seth was solo... Well, it is kind of hard to ignore the fact that Roman isn't any good on the mic and too stiff in the ring.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
There is an entire wrestling fan-base out there that has nothing to do with fickle internet complainers or kids buddy.

Also, not everyone goes against what they are spoon fed. Most of the time, they just eat it up. Roman was actually liked when he was in the shield. Once they broke up ans people seen how good Ambrose was solo... How good Seth was solo... Well, it is kind of hard to ignore the fact that Roman isn't any good on the mic and too stiff in the ring.
Who are modern wrestling fans that aren't children or internet fans?

like this guy?

• Haha
Reactions: Neptune

Neptune

我很喜歡吃餅乾
Reaction score
Who are modern wrestling fans that aren't children or internet fans?

like this guy?

I would estimate about 30% of their fan-base is not active on forums related to wrestling actually and aren't children/women/that guy.