What's The Real Deal With God?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
btw I have always wondered, is he even taken in consideration in North America? Or just banned for his communist theories?

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I shoulda known 2 months ago when I made the thread it would eventually degenerate into a "Religion is bad for you" argument. lol.

I've since learned not to fight it. I know I can't stand intellectually in a debate against you guys so I won't waste your time. Thanks for contributing to the thread though. lol.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Only ever read the communist manifesto tbh but yeah generally when you try and base any system on the idea that all men are equal it tends to fall apart even before starting.

I think Orwell put it best with: All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
I shoulda known 2 months ago when I made the thread it would eventually degenerate into a "Religion is bad for you" argument. lol.

I've since learned not to fight it. I know I can't stand intellectually in a debate against you guys so I won't waste your time. Thanks for contributing to the thread though. lol.

I'm kinda throwing grenade quotes around, not really debating. Lol, just have fun

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Only ever read the communist manifesto tbh but yeah generally when you try and base any system on the idea that all men are equal it tends to fall apart even before starting.

I think Orwell put it best with: All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.

Lol, old good Orwell. I was too young when I read it anyways. I understood it much later.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
btw I have always wondered, is he even taken in consideration in North America? Or just banned for his communist theories?

You'll barely hear the name Marx until university. And communism isn't banned here every federal election year I see one or two signs for the communist party or the marxist leninist party.

I shoulda known 2 months ago when I made the thread it would degenerate into a "Religion is bad for you" argument. lol.

Religion isn't bad for you. Believing in something that doesn't reflect you as a person is bad for you. Do you know the complexes this behavior creates in a person after the years of inevitable let down associated with unfaltering belief?

A little mystery in life is a great thing. But trying to put a label on that mystery is counter productive especially since it really doesn't matter.

Let me ask you a question. Scientists and theologists debate over the origins of the universe all the time. Neat question, sure. Important or relevant to anything? Not so much.

Same thing with God. Whatever higher power is out there is irrelevant.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I think Brave New World creeped me out more than 1984 to be honest. Sure 1984 is severely more brutal, but Brave New World was more likely in the case that nobody was truly suffering. All the behavior in the world was perfectly ok, and everyone faithfully put their trust in a small group of nothing short of a a global dictatorship. World Peace, finally acheived, at the cost of our loss of free will.

1984, people still had free will, they were just killed for it. In BNW, you didn't have free will in the first place.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I just like to hear myself talk. lol

Serious question though. What does God do for you that you can't do for yourself?

I'll be the first christian to admit that God is a crutch for me. I'm not afraid to admit to myself that everytime I've tried going at it alone, I've failed myself horribly. I've already rehashed the story on this board a thousand times but in my junior year of high school I had a nervous breakdown and had planned to kill myself along with several of my class mates. All I was thinking about all the time was "death, die, everyone die, nobody loves you, make them pay, kill them all" ect. ect. ect. And it was through my own force of will that I was carrying myself on. But that morning I completely broke down and couldn't take the thoughts anymore, and almost resolved to follow through with my thoughts. Suddenly, in what seemed to be a last ditch effort of fate, before I was going to fulfill the task, I ran to the counsellors office and balled my eyes out for hours about all the crap going on in my life and how I couldn't take it anymore.

I wasn't strong enough to want to be alive anymore.

That's when they admitted me to a mental hospital and I started reading the bible. I started really liking the idea. I mean, the fact that I could screw up in life as many times as I was stupid enough to do so, and even if I couldn't forgive myself and want to end it all, there was always someone there who WOULD forgive me, and would still love me for who I am.

I guess that's your answer. I believe God to be someone who loves me even when nobody else will. I may not be able to feel him, see him or talk to him, but somebody up there forgives me for all the bad stuff I've done.

So it's a crutch, because if I were to allow myself to believe that there really was nobody around who loved me no matter what, I might not find life worth living.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'll be the first christian to admit that God is a crutch for me. I'm not afraid to admit to myself that everytime I've tried going at it alone, I've failed myself horribly. I've already rehashed the story on this board a thousand times but in my junior year of high school I had a nervous breakdown and had planned to kill myself along with several of my class mates. All I was thinking about all the time was "death, die, everyone die, nobody loves you, make them pay, kill them all" ect. ect. ect. And it was through my own force of will that I was carrying myself on. But that morning I completely broke down and couldn't take the thoughts anymore, and almost resolved to follow through with my thoughts. Suddenly, in what seemed to be a last ditch effort of fate, before I was going to fulfill the task, I ran to the counsellors office and balled my eyes out for hours about all the crap going on in my life and how I couldn't take it anymore.

I wasn't strong enough to want to be alive anymore.

That's when they admitted me to a mental hospital and I started reading the bible. I started really liking the idea. I mean, the fact that I could screw up in life as many times as I was stupid enough to do so, and even if I couldn't forgive myself and want to end it all, there was always someone there who WOULD forgive me, and would still love me for who I am.

I guess that's your answer. I believe God to be someone who loves me even when nobody else will. I may not be able to feel him, see him or talk to him, but somebody up there forgives me for all the bad stuff I've done.

So it's a crutch, because if I were to allow myself to believe that there really was nobody around who loved me no matter what, I might not find life worth living.

Are you in therapy?