What's The Deal With These ECW Guys

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
When you put it that way, true. I was thinking more of 4 v 4 match (that's what TNA would do anyway). With the amount of ECW/WWF smarks in the TNA audience, if Fortune goes over them, it could generate and elevate some positive young fresh talent.

The RKO Disciple

Reaction score
1.jpg

Since Tommy Dreamer arrived in TNA, he's been making random appearances in the crowd. And with each appearance, he's brought along one ECW alumni after another. So far we have Dreamer, Raven, Stevie Richards, and Rhyno. I'm not too trilled with these guys seeing as though for the most part, they're either boring or just not as good as they once were, but I'm rather intrigued by this. Are they the "they" that Abyss keeps referring too? Are they scooping out talent for something? Could this be the makings of a new stable? Could this climax with Paul Haymen coming in? This could end in many ways.

Thoughts?

when i first saw their appearance it got me thinking are they trying to re-create an ecw reunion in a sense with a different name are they recruiting talent as weeks go bye are they invading tna, or what questions we have shall be answered eventually but i still see it as a fail, whats been done before will not get over easy.

Adara

Reaction score
In 1994, Jim Crockett's non-compete agreement with Ted Turner, who purchased World Championship Wrestling (WCW) from Crockett in 1988, was up and he decided to start promoting with the NWA again. Crockett went to Tod Gordon and asked him to hold a tournament for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at the ECW Arena on August 27, 1994. NWA President Dennis Coralluzzo thought that Crockett and Gordon were going to try to monopolize the title (much like Crockett did in the 1980s) and told them they didn't have the NWA board's approval so he took control over the tournament. Gordon was upset at Coralluzzo for his power plays so Gordon and Shane Douglas, who was booked to win the title against 2 Cold Scorpio, planned to have Douglas throw the title down after he won it and break ECW from the NWA. In a now classic post-match speech, Shane Douglas said that he didn't want to be a part of an organization that "died" seven years earlier (presumably when Jim Crockett sold his NWA super territory to Turner Broadcasting in 1988).
After ECW withdrew from the NWA and officially changed its name from Eastern Championship Wrestling to Extreme Championship Wrestling, it became an underground sensation. The group would showcase many different styles of professional wrestling, popularizing bloody hardcore wrestling matches and the 3-Way Dance. ECW was always intended to be counter-culture and a grittier alternative to multi-million dollar organizations such as World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and WCW. In addition to their hardcore match types, they provided an alternative to North American wrestling with technical wrestling that was common overseas. International stars such as Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko anchored a solid technical wrestling core in ECW. Rey Misterio, Jr., Psicosis, Konnan and Juventud Guerrera brought a lucha libre style rarely seen in the national wrestling promotions.

Colon91

Reaction score
When rhyno first made it big in tna, he said that he wanted people to let ecw die and know that tna wass hardcore and the new hot promotion. But now he's back with all these ecw fogies and they'll probably have an 8 week run as a faction called the extreme alumni or sumthin stupid to that effect. Come back cornette!!!

Colon91

Reaction score
i have the feeling all the ex-ecw wrestlers will also get involved with a feud with rvd, claiming he's not hardcore as he used to be and hense abyss's charge on the title because 'they told him to'

Reaction score
In 1994, Jim Crockett's non-compete agreement with Ted Turner, who purchased World Championship Wrestling (WCW) from Crockett in 1988, was up and he decided to start promoting with the NWA again. Crockett went to Tod Gordon and asked him to hold a tournament for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at the ECW Arena on August 27, 1994. NWA President Dennis Coralluzzo thought that Crockett and Gordon were going to try to monopolize the title (much like Crockett did in the 1980s) and told them they didn't have the NWA board's approval so he took control over the tournament. Gordon was upset at Coralluzzo for his power plays so Gordon and Shane Douglas, who was booked to win the title against 2 Cold Scorpio, planned to have Douglas throw the title down after he won it and break ECW from the NWA. In a now classic post-match speech, Shane Douglas said that he didn't want to be a part of an organization that "died" seven years earlier (presumably when Jim Crockett sold his NWA super territory to Turner Broadcasting in 1988).
After ECW withdrew from the NWA and officially changed its name from Eastern Championship Wrestling to Extreme Championship Wrestling, it became an underground sensation. The group would showcase many different styles of professional wrestling, popularizing bloody hardcore wrestling matches and the 3-Way Dance. ECW was always intended to be counter-culture and a grittier alternative to multi-million dollar organizations such as World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and WCW. In addition to their hardcore match types, they provided an alternative to North American wrestling with technical wrestling that was common overseas. International stars such as Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko anchored a solid technical wrestling core in ECW. Rey Misterio, Jr., Psicosis, Konnan and Juventud Guerrera brought a lucha libre style rarely seen in the national wrestling promotions.

It saddens me that 2 Cold Scorpio never gets a mention in these things.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Why Raven is in a wrestling organization but isn't involved with the booking somehow is asinine. The guy has one of the best wrestling minds of anyone in this business today but he's stuck in this lame ECW business? I like Dreamer in the ring, but I have a feeling he's going to be misused and overpushed. It's just sad. But also, I get the feeling they're making it a little too obvious they're Abyss's "they". I smell a swerve coming on that front...

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
The reason TNA has been going with the idea of doing an ECW faction is due to the fact that a focal group determined that fans were favorable towards ECW, and had fond memories of the promotion. According to Dave Meltzer, an interesting note is that the focal group surveyed fans in Philadelphia, PA of all places.

:lmao

Reaction score
I do have to agree with Bischoff (not that I'm really a bischoff person) that they would need half the talent they have right now, if they were running the company in the right direction. I hope they let Heyman give it a shot. It's time to stop rehashing wwe angles.

Reaction score
The funny thing is that true ECW fans from way back when wouldn't waste their time with a product like TNA. I think its more or less wrestling fans having fond memories of watching WWE produced ECW DVDs. HA!

hndsmepete

Reaction score
If Paul E comes to TNA, he would be better served making new stars and not relying on creations of the past. The man has skill at hiding the weakness of wrestlers & that is what made Tommy Dreamer, Raven & Stevie Richards. Doing a hardcore stable has been done to death & shouldn't be done again, especially if Abyss is a part of it. They just need him off of tv period, he just sucks. In a year he's gone from hardcore wrestler, to nervous blueberry, to Green Lantern fetishist & an attempt at Hardcore. He needs to be written off tv completely until they pick a gimmick & stick with it permanently.

CMS

Reaction score
I laugh at how TNA books Abyss. Is like they watched all the mistakes WWE made with Kane, and instead of correcting, you know, since they are practically milking the entire persona anyways, they seem hell bent into fucking it up even worse.