What Have You Been Reading Lately

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I planned on watching that and the actual In Cold Blood movie from 1960 after I read the book.

Also Infamous with Toby Jones as Truman is a very different take on the character, two excellent films.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
SuperFreakonomics
This is the sequel to Freakonomics which is a fantastic book covering all sorts of topics and explaining them using economics. Again they tackle unusual subjects but this time there is a common theme running through the book, that we all work for a particular reward. It is a really enjoyable read and I like how they show how economics can be used to attack all sorts of problems and help find solutions to them.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Just finished 11/22/63 from Stephen King.

One of his best works to date. I haven't liked a lot of his newer stuff (haven't read Under the Dome though) but this was a true return to form.

I loved the references to his other books too (won't ruin it if you haven't read it) they were surprising and fit perfectly.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Also Infamous with Toby Jones as Truman is a very different take on the character, two excellent films.

Finished that book, it was amazing. So far I've just watched In Cold Blood and Capote with Infamous downloaded. Both were great movies, enjoyed In Cold Blood at bit more, thought the actor played Perry (can't remember his name) did a real good job.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I just read Great Expectations again last month. Month before it was Scarlet Letter. Think I am going to pick up sacred Hoops for another read this month

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I just read Great Expectations again last month. Month before it was Scarlet Letter. Think I am going to pick up sacred Hoops for another read this month

How was Great Expections? I've yet to read a Dickeins novel. Both the 40s and 90s film versions are worth checking out.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I read it the first time at 17 and liked it but appreciated it much more now that I'm older. It's a good novel as worth a read if you're committed. Try to read one book a month

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Jeffrey Archer - Best Kept Secret

This is the third novel in the Clifton Chronicles series. Follows on where the last left off with the House of Lords deciding who inherits the title and fortune of Hugo Barrington. Covers a few decades of the family, there is a failed marriage, another court battle over a will, an adoption that is a nice touch and some art fraud. Bit disappointed that there wasn't that much crossover within the chapters rather than having them purely from one characters perspective, would have been nice to overlap the years a bit. Bit of a fluff novel this, a lot of waffle in it but it was still okay. Ending on another cliffhanger so even though I wasn't that excited by the book I will have to get the next one.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
I just started reading a Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (haven't seen the tv series yet) a couple of days ago, and I'm loving it already. It has sooo much potential to be the best fantasy series that I have read so far.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Scarlett Thomas - Going Out

A very novel idea based on two best friends one who is afraid of sunlight, and therefore has lived most of his life in doors and the other who is afaid of flying, they travel along with a group of friends to see a guy who says he can help them. There is a good idea at the heart of it about how Luke sees his life through television so sees that as the way people live their lives, it also has sharp observations on cerebrity culture and modern repressions. There are maybe one or two too many characters at times, but overall its a very thought provoking read.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Paul Auster - Vertigo Man

A stylish tale about the flaws of the American dream. An abused boy is bought from his family by a mysterous master who promises to tech him the power to fly, althrough he does so with very extreme methiods. The book kept me engrossed most of the way through and had some sharp characters and good twist but at times it did feel a little like it was shocking just for the sake of it and dragged a bit towards the end.

7/10

Rholda Wilcox - Why Buffy Matters: The Art in Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A book full of passion, wit and depth bascially selling cyinics on why Buffy deserves to be considered great art as well as great entertainment. There is lots of cool information and thoery for fans of the show too. My favourite chapters were where Wilcox argues how the meaning in light and dark are reversed in the show, with dark being where the characters feel most safe (even the good ones) and the light representing the harshness of reality, and the chapter when she links Buffy to Harry Potter. Some bits were a bit tough going, but it really is a great read for both fans and none-fans of the series.

8/10

Reaction score
Australia... and no, I do not ride around on a Kan
The Shining - Stephen King

Amazing book, goes into the back story of Jack's downfall in much greater depth than the movie, also portrays him as, truly a good guy rather than an insane man ready to burst (as with what Jack Nicholsons character shows), however as I have seen the film prior to reading it, it is not as suspenseful as it would be if I did not know what would happen.

8.5/10

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The Shining - Stephen King

Amazing book, goes into the back story of Jack's downfall in much greater depth than the movie, also portrays him as, truly a good guy rather than an insane man ready to burst (as with what Jack Nicholsons character shows), however as I have seen the film prior to reading it, it is not as suspenseful as it would be if I did not know what would happen.

8.5/10

Have you read many King books? I ask because I have never read any and was wondering which would good to start with? Have heard good things about his latest.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Not a fan of the way Koontz rights but I really enjoy the story. Makes it extremely hard to rate.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Petite Mort - Beatrice Hitchman (2013) 8/10
A stylishly written, edgy debut, with some great characters and a gripping conclusion. At times I wasn't sure where it was going, but it was clever how the two separate plots ran side by side but then came together and made sense by the end. It has lot of interest for film fans, but also works as a good thriller too.