What Do You Miss From Your Earlier Days of Being a Wrestling Fan?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I guess just not knowing it's scripted. It made it a ton more enjoyable for me personally.

You and almost all of the pro wrestling fans.. Even when I found out it was possibly scripted I still held doubt.. at least until I grew out off the marking days and became more of a realist and realized some of the matches were just too corny and terribly mismatched to be real.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
One of the biggest things I miss were the intertwining story lines. There was a way back in the attitude era where multiple rivalries would intersect and create matches you wouldn't expect to see.
Very much so...this style of story telling needs to return to wrestling.
Kane wearing the original mask.
Yeah...this was a big deal for me...I actually stopped watching wrestling
after Kane took his mask off. That one still burns a little.
(Pun intended & Relished)

I don't want to sound like one of those Attitude Era Fanboys...and the
quality of wrestling is much better now...but the overall show just seemed
more fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Snowman1

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Kane wearing the original mask.
:kane: ????

But.. but... Corporate Kane was the best..

:smirk2::booker2::ambrose4::21-1:

I do also miss Kane in his original mask and would've been A-Okay if he had never taken it off..

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Damn you guys basically took all the good shit!

I agree with everyone who has posted already (that's saying alot!) I read the entire thread (Good Read) and you guys had some great points.

When I was younger let's say around 1996-97 I was 6-7 years old when I really started watching wrestling....My pops said I always watched it with him but my memories only go back so far. (I blame the drugs) Anyways I miss the mystery, the suspense, the not knowing of what the hell went on behind the titantron!
That aspect of it will be forever lost due to the Internet and it f***ing sucks!

This is the biggest for me.....I don't know about you guys but I honestly belived wrestling was real (1996-199?) I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame....I was amazed by just the presence of The Undertaker and truly belived he had supernatural powers! I actually belived Kane was The Undertakers brother for years! (lol silly rabbit) So for me the thing I miss the most is actually believing what I was watching....I hated people who used to say wrestling was fake I refused to belive it lbs!.....but as I got older the "Internet" fucked that all up for me....

Wrestling was truly real at 1 point.... at least to me it was..... my 6yr old self marked every Monday night! I miss that magic and tone the show had back in the attitude-era.... It made you wanna be a fan!

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
We seem to come from about the same spot, @The Phenom . I got into it for the first time around then aswell. My cousins would come over and tell me about how the undertaker was going to fight his brother Kane and he said he never would. And I remember when I would be watching and all of a sudden the arena went black. Then the lights came on and there would be a bloodbath. Seemed so fucking real!

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
The aesthetics, Raw and Smackdown both felt so personalized. Both brands had character, made watching both quite a bit more enjoyable.

The fact that it felt like it was an event, seemed like everyone would watch it. Couldn't wait to get to school the day after Raw to talk about what had happened at the lunch table. And I remember getting the OG SVR game for PS2 for trading a friend a bag of chips and a wrestling magazine, miss being a kid.

And yeah, the magazines. Felt like you were apart of the program for going that extra little mile.

Reactions: Gman003

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
@Gman003 I completely agree with you....Me and my friends would talk about it all day at school as well...We were like the biggest wrestling fans at age 7 lol.....Yea when those lights went off it was totally different for me back then.....I would nearly soil myself out of pure excitement! NOW THAT I'm 27 years old sadly that magic is gone and unless I can time travel it will never return.....Someone posted that back in the attitude era everybody was this larger then life character and that was so true! Wrestling is so modern now and everybody is just a normal guy which is cool but It's just so practical and if someone would try to get that type of gimmick now I don't believe it would work just because where used to this current product we been eating since the 2000's. This was a great thread idea it took me back to my childhood and I'm feeling all nostalgic over here! Wrestling back in the day (smh and thinking)......Who didn't want to beat the hell out there boss and show up to work the next day and do it again (Like austin) Who didn't want to be this Heartbreak kid with all the ladies falling at your feet (Like Shawn Michaels) who didn't believe Undertaker and Kane were brothers and that their entire storyline was pure gold it seemed to be so real!....Kane shooting lightning bolts with his fingers and setting a guy on fire up the ramp ...... Mankind I actually thought this guy was deranged He made crazy cool..... and Dx when I was a kid started a revolution we were Dx at school and always running around telling people to Suck It (teachers and all) We were told we could no longer be Dx and we're almost suspended from school! (Childhood was awesome lol) Wrestling will never be better then it wa s during the attitude era I don't know if I was just young and easily entertained or if it was just as awesome as I remember but either way I miss that feeling I had while I was watching it back then knowing now that it's scripted has watered it down for me but I'm still a wrestling god always was always will be! That time of wrestling was the best their is...the best their was and the best it will ever be!(Thanks Hitman)

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I miss the aspect of thinking some of it was real or seemed legit. I also miss seeing Trish and stacy and slowly spanking it.

• Haha
Reactions: Grievous 3D

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
This is it......Lmao! This will always be funny!

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Wow that doesn't seem like 12 years ago... I would have been 18, wish I could go back. I remember being super excited that there was another promotion and I got behind it full force because the product was actually really good at first and I was VERY fed up and with the way WWE were treating the fanbase. There were all these new guys and guys from WWE coming in, a great roster and they were booking the show very well then ....and having great matches. TNA really looked promising then

What the hell happened?

lol

It doesn't seem that long at all. Damn, that would be back to my first year in college. I actually have a tape of the earliest Impact! shows which were actually on Fox Sports Net. It aired for a year and it had an odd setup. The matches actually all had ten minute time limits and there was a clock on the TV that counted the matches down. Then Fox didn't renew their contract and they were off the air for months before Spike and when they debuted on Spike, it was a completely different show.

So maybe that's something I miss too. Seeing how the shows change. And also looking forward to a new show or promotion. Waiting for TNA to get that deal with Spike and waiting to see what they would do with it was pretty exciting.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
@Gman003 I completely agree with you....Me and my friends would talk about it all day at school as well...We were like the biggest wrestling fans at age 7 lol.....Yea when those lights went off it was totally different for me back then.....I would nearly soil myself out of pure excitement! NOW THAT I'm 27 years old sadly that magic is gone and unless I can time travel it will never return.....Someone posted that back in the attitude era everybody was this larger then life character and that was so true! Wrestling is so modern now and everybody is just a normal guy which is cool but It's just so practical and if someone would try to get that type of gimmick now I don't believe it would work just because where used to this current product we been eating since the 2000's. This was a great thread idea it took me back to my childhood and I'm feeling all nostalgic over here! Wrestling back in the day (smh and thinking)......Who didn't want to beat the hell out there boss and show up to work the next day and do it again (Like austin) Who didn't want to be this Heartbreak kid with all the ladies falling at your feet (Like Shawn Michaels) who didn't believe Undertaker and Kane were brothers and that their entire storyline was pure gold it seemed to be so real!....Kane shooting lightning bolts with his fingers and setting a guy on fire up the ramp ...... Mankind I actually thought this guy was deranged He made crazy cool..... and Dx when I was a kid started a revolution we were Dx at school and always running around telling people to Suck It (teachers and all) We were told we could no longer be Dx and we're almost suspended from school! (Childhood was awesome lol) Wrestling will never be better then it wa s during the attitude era I don't know if I was just young and easily entertained or if it was just as awesome as I remember but either way I miss that feeling I had while I was watching it back then knowing now that it's scripted has watered it down for me but I'm still a wrestling god always was always will be! That time of wrestling was the best their is...the best their was and the best it will ever be!(Thanks Hitman)

That DX shit though! That was the best! Especially with substitute teachers... Hahaha suck it! Or kids you didn't like... suck it! Oh man those were the days. I fucking miss being a kid wwf fan. (When they changed to wwe... that was hard to see. I still refer to it as wwf sometimes just out of respect)

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
That DX shit though! That was the best! Especially with substitute teachers... Hahaha suck it! Or kids you didn't like... suck it! Oh man those were the days. I fucking miss being a kid wwf fan. (When they changed to wwe... that was hard to see. I still refer to it as wwf sometimes just out of respect)
No doubt bro that was literally the best! Lol we were doing the same things fuck those substitute teachers!

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
It should still be WWF f**k The World wild life foundation.