Wasted Talent...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fatal 55

Reaction score
Over the years in Professional Wrestling, there have been many Wrestling & Creative Talents that have in some people's mind had so much potential & promise but have either been "Wasted" or not reached what they could've so easily have done. This thread is to discuss which people in people's opinion didn't reach "Full" potential & to discuss what they could've achieved.

Here are my 3 choices. Again don't be all like "WTF Is That" & "Those choices are rubbish", these are my honest opinions & ones I believe in. Feel free to come up with your opinions...

1. Mr Perfect / Curt Henning

One of the most gifted Technical wrestler's of his generation, His ring skill was near "Perfect" & he could also back it up with natural charisma. He also for one time had an amazing gimmick that at the time wasn't too far fetched but at the same time worked. It's a mystery how this man never became World Champion in any organization he was in. Probably the best Non-Champion to ever grace a ring...

2. Mike Awesome

Mike Awesome was the first of his kind, no man his size had ever done the things he was capable of doing in-&-outside the ring. So much was expected of him when he made the move from ECW to WCW but that's where things started going down hill from there on. He was made to look like a joke in WCW with the ridiculous gimmicks & such in a time where they needed fresh, younger guys who could go in the ring. He was never given a chance in the WWE either, which was due to Backstage Politics allegedly. If given the chance at the right time, I could've seen Awesome become a much bigger thing than he ever was. It's a shame to see a wrestler with so much calibre & potential just go down hill, to the day of his death...RIP.

3. Rob Van Dam

Now I know some of you will be, "Huh, why the hell did you chose RVD", well my basis is that although he might've been a World champion in the end, I still see him as having "Underachieved" during his career. Yet again, this was due to no fault of his own but because he was held back when he got to the highest level. His 2-year TV Title reign in the late 90's in ECW still hails as one of the most memorable & prestigious title reigns in the past decade or so. He was "One Of A Kind" in the ring & could also back it up on the stick tremendously well. What bugs me is, during most if not all his WWE period he wasn't given a serious push to headline his show & be the top guy on it. He was subjected to say "Radical & Gnarly" as his only vocabulary arsenal on the mic & every time they got stuck on pushing him to the Main Event, they just gave him the IC Title again as a prop & then gave somebody else the push instead. He had the talent to be headlining Raw/SmackDown every month & be the top guy of the brand. Maybe it's because he was part of "The Enemy" during his ECW days, but him just being one of the last remaining people from the WCW/ECW Alliance days shows that he had plenty of Potential!

PeepShow

LOL Great One. I do agree Hassan could have been a ME heel if he would have been booked right.

Anyway, I agree with your first 2 very much, but RVD not so much. RVD has accomplished a lot over the years. Now whether or not its up to your standards is your choice, but to me, I wouldnt really call him wasted by any means. None of them were wasted, they just may have been misused sometimes. Another one you could have made an argue for is Owen Hart. But he did have some pretty good success, just not on the ME level

Fatal 55

Reaction score
Okay, i may have misinturpreted the Title a little bit. Misued or not reached full potential instead...

& yes i do agree with Owen Hart & Muhammed Hassan, what happened to Hart was unfortunate & Hassan... well, the amount of heat he got was so massive, shame the Network didn't like it that much!

Here's one more for ya... Brian Pillman!

Quite intresting to notice that a lot of these are now dead...

Nancy Di Loreto

Reaction score
Well Mr. Perfect did win the AWA WHC, if I'm correct, but that's beside the point...

- Raven:-

While he had an accomplished career in both ECW & TNA, he was misused by both WWF/E & WCW. Although you could argue that his WWF/E was great, he never rose past the Hardcore Division, and could have held the IC Title if given a push. Back in WCW, he was the leader of his own Flock/stable, but once again was given the same treatment Benoit and Jericho recieved....

Fatal 55

Reaction score
Right you are... He WAS AWA World Champion... I should check up my reaserch more before i do these type of threads!

Sill though, they should've let him win it in either the WWE or WCW.

Great One

Peep had a point, misused =/= wasted. Muhammad Hassan was clearly fucking WASTED. =(

PeepShow

Peep had a point, misused =/= wasted. Muhammad Hassan was clearly fucking WASTED. =(

Most def. I mean, I know the only real reason he even had the gimmick was b/c of 9/11, but still, it was amazing. That dude was by far the biggest heel in the last 10 years, maybe history. I mean I know there aare some big heels like, Orton, Edge, Cage, and some others, but nobody liked this guy. Seriously. He was brilliant. He could have been a big name to remember for a long while. Fuck the people who said it was too far over the edge :2up:

Beer Money Army

for WWE.. I would Say rick rude.. He wrestling was good.. had great charisma, Had the look of a great wrestler and also had bobby Heenan...

he had a great run in WCW But career was ended very too early... but i thought Vince screw things with him. As he was an very Top heel..

he Made Warrior look good and that was an very hard thing to do. So he would of made Hogan look good easily...

for WCW ... Arn Anderson.. Excellent wrestler can adept to anyone skills and great charisma...

another name would be Curt Henning. I felt Randy Savage was wasted in 1993-1994 of WWE as he could of bene turned Heel at the time feud with Bret hart and Lex luger. or be face and feuded with HBK, Yokozuna to help out there future top talent... Savage was wasted a lot in those 2 years and he knew it...

Muhammad Hassan.. i didnt liek him. he had heat but that was because of 9/11 iron sheik had heat in his time. but after that was over he lost alot of Heat... I fought Muhammad Hassan wrestling skills were very poor and very green and felt very sorry for the wrestlers that had to lose to him and feud with him.. Because in my mind He wasn't anything big and wasn't money to me.. If 9/11 didnt happen he wouldnt had that heat.. thats the only reason he got heat....

2 others that had a few years wasted by WWE. I would say Christian 2005 time after cena/Cage feud. he was very very de-pushed and he knew it. Y2J 2004-2005 too.. y2j is the shiz nit.... and could get the crowd love him or hate him very easy he has the natural talent of it

Montana

Wow, im actually disagree'ing with most all of this. The only one i can agree with is Raven, and he still had a pretty sucessful career.

Hassan- The guy was with the wwe for a year, and he worked a angle with hogan at WM. He should be thankful for what he had got.

RVD- WWE champ + ECW champ, come on, he messed that up, not to mention injuries

Perfect, again...injuries in his prime

Mike Awesome..... Good big man, ZERO charisma

Rick Rude..... kinda misused, but then again he main evented Summer Slam

Arn Anderson.....always the #2 guy behind flair.

=====================================================

My pick would be Shane Douglas, this was on of the wwe's biggest signings and one of the hottest wrestlers at the time in 94. But the wwe gave him the "dean douglass" gimmick and it was crap.

PeepShow

^What do you mean he should be lucky he got to face Hogan? What was so wrong with him?

dayvid316

Reaction score
Hussan that was Horrible how they got rid of him he had massive heat but had a horrible ending

On the episode of SmackDown! taped on July 4, General Manager Teddy Long put Muhammad Hassan in a match against The Undertaker at the Great American Bash and placed Daivari in a match that night against the Undertaker. Daivari was defeated easily, but Hassan began to "pray" on the ramp, summoning five masked men, dressed almost completely in black. Armed with clubs and a piano wire, they beat and choked the Undertaker out, and Hassan put him in the Camel Clutch. Afterward, the masked men lifted Daivari above their heads and carried him away. Three days later, hours before the episode was scheduled to air, the London bombings took place.Without sufficient time to properly edit the segment out of the show, UPN showed the footage unedited in America and on The Score in Canada with an advisory warning shown several times during the broadcast. It was removed from the Australian and European (including in the UK) broadcasts.

Source Wiki

PeepShow

Nice job getting that from Wiki. I think we know why, its just Blue that they did it IMO.

phantomgerald

RVD is one of my favourite wrestlers, but I don't think he was wasted. He doesn't have the Cena or Edge mic skills, and when he was champion he screwed himself by carrying cocaine. Not the perfect image for a champ.