Was Connor the Crusher a work?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What was WWE's intention?

• To promote the company?

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • To show compassion and kindness to Connor Michalek and raise awareness of childhood diseases

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Both

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

speedy

Jobber
Reaction score
read Justin Roberts book best seat in the house a while ago, going from what it said it started out a compassionate act which they turned to there advantage,

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Being compassionate requires you to be altruistic

No it doesn't. Altruism is selfless concern for other people. You don't even have to be able to empathize to be altruistic. You help someone not because it helps, not because it alleviates any suffering on your part. Altruistic acts are acts with absolutely no reward to the person doing the good deed.

The word compassion means literally "to suffer together." You feel something for someone else who is suffering and you feel the suffering yourself. You do good things to help them in order to alleviate both yours and their suffering.

This is psych 101 stuff.

Reactions: Paul Diaz-Berrio

Redboy123@

Reaction score
No it doesn't. Altruism is selfless concern for other people. You don't even have to be able to empathize to be altruistic. You help someone not because it helps, not because it alleviates any suffering on your part. Altruistic acts are acts with absolutely no reward to the person doing the good deed.

The word compassion means literally "to suffer together." You feel something for someone else who is suffering and you feel the suffering yourself. You do good things to help them in order to alleviate both yours and their suffering.

This is psych 101 stuff.
You can be alturistic without having to be compassionate, you are right. But to be compassionate, you need a certain level of alturistic

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
You can be alturistic without having to be compassionate, you are right. But to be compassionate, you need a certain level of alturistic

No, you don't. Compassion, again, is to alleviate the suffering of both yourself and the person you're compassionate to. That automatically precludes the act of compassion from being altruistic.

Not trying to be an ass here, but this is social psychology, which I happen to have a doctorate in so I am pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I think you might mean you have to have some level of selflessness to be compassionate Red.

Like in order to fully be aware and empathize with others, you have to disregard yourself to a certain degree.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I was thinking about it, and on the flip side of this... Some people are compassionate simply because it makes them feel good so in a way, you can be selfish and compassionate. It kind of depends on the person.

Like what WWE does (for the most part with charity) is selfish compassion but what Daniel Bryan did for Connor is selfless compassion.

Selfish Compassion - Doing something good and expecting something in return
Selfless Compassion - Doing something good and expecting nothing.

It is like comparing Philia and Agape. Both are forms of love but only one is pure in intentions and selfless or "unconditional".

Redboy123@

Reaction score
I was thinking about it, and on the flip side of this... Some people are compassionate simply because it makes them feel good so in a way, you can be selfish and compassionate. It kind of depends on the person.

Like what WWE does (for the most part with charity) is selfish compassion but what Daniel Bryan did for Connor is selfless compassion.

It is like comparing Philia and Agape. Both are forms of love but only one is pure in intentions and selfless or "unconditional".
Some people help others because it makes them feel good. Gives them a buzz.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Some people help others because it makes them feel good. Gives them a buzz.
Exactly but a reaction to doing something for others that is internal is different from doing something to receive money, recognition from other people, acceptance, etc.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Also, the buzz is the oxytocin release from the brain. It is a bonding hormone.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I think you might mean you have to have some level of selflessness to be compassionate Red.

Like in order to fully be aware and empathize with others, you have to disregard yourself to a certain degree.

That's a good way to put it. And I know I am being way too textbook definition here. A certain level of selflessness could indeed contribute to feeling compassionate. Outright selflessness, which is what altruism is, isn't present in pure compassion.

I am probably just being prickly today because having to restore my laptop. I'll stop being so bitchy :)

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
*enters thread*
@Jacob Fox is one of the best debaters on the forums. Just gonna point that out
*exits thread*

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score

One thing that bugs me is that it took this boy to make WWE do something positive. WWE, as we all know, goes to deplorable depths to advance itself, though from time to time, it does commendable things and usually because it's something big like...

9/11
Eddie Gurrero's death
And then...
Connor Michalek, just too name a few.

So, you have to present something really life changing to make WWE show a more honorable side and I don't like it. The closesr analogy to this would have ro be a heart that beats silently, but needs a shock to beat more actively.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
One thing that bugs me is how it took this boy to invoke a wish to do something positive. WWE, as we all know, goes to deplorable depths to advance itself, though from time to time, it does commendable things and usually because ir is something big like...

9/11
Eddie Gurrero's death
And then...
Connor Michalek, just too name a few.

So, you have to present something really life changing to make WWE show a more honorable side and I don't like it. The closesr analogy to this would have ro be a heart that beats silently, but needs a shock to beat more actively.

The wrestlers are mostly sincere with everything like this so focus on them and less on the company as a whole. Business has its ugly side in every company.