UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
453px-Fuelposter.jpg

Main card

Welterweight bout: Diego Sanchez vs. Jake Ellenberger
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Dave Herman
Middleweight bout: Aaron Simpson vs. Ronny Markes
Heavyweight bout: Stipe Miocic vs. Philip De Fries
Bantamweight bout: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Walel Watson

Preliminary card

Bantamweight bout: Ivan Menjivar vs. John Albert
Featherweight bout: Jonathan Brookins vs. Vagner Rocha
Middleweight bout: Buddy Roberts vs. Sean Loeffler
Lightweight bout: Anton Kuivanen vs. Justin Salas
Lightweight bout: Tim Means vs. Bernardo Magalhaes

*Expect a few more fights for this show to be announced.

Last edited:

Deuce

Reaction score
The only fight I'm looking forward to is Diego Sanchez vs Jake Ellenberger, should be a decent match.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but could you explain why you think it's going to be a decent fight?

Deuce

Reaction score
Diego Sanchez is a decent fighter and Jake Ellenberger is an okay fighter. I just think it will be fast-paced since Diego is in it so it will bring out the best in Ellenberger which is always cool to see a fighter try hard.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Good to see Sanchez back, seems ages since his last fight.

Probs because he hasn't been on a proper PPV, the Kampmann fight was on Versus IIRC.

Ellenberger is mad underrated, will make it a good fight.

Not much on the undercard. Hope Struve gets KO'd.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am a Struve fan so I am hoping he can finish Herman and start to work his way back up onto the PPV prelims. He has had an up and down UFC career so far but he is very young and has plenty of learning to do.

Good to see Diego Sanchez back after a long layoff and he has a strong opponent first up in Ellenberger. Sanchez had two great fights in a row before this latest injury so hopefully he still has that form and can continue it against Ellenberger.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah the Sanchez/Ellenberger fight will be good, a test for both guys really, I'm looking forward to this card i too am a Struve fan Troy so it'll be nice to see him in action I don't know a whole lot about his opponent except he had a failed drug test a while back.

This show is on a Wednesday also which will be nice.

Last edited:

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Skyscraper looked good in his last fight that against Pat Barry wondering if he can do the same. Judging by his opponent can not see how he will lose, but hey it is MMA anything can happen right?

When it comes down to Sanchez and Ellenberger, I see Ellenberger finishing this fight, Diego has a chin but no scar tissue what so ever and Ellenberger can hit some vicious and nasty knees. Knees that are awesome, Sanchez could push the pace but we will have to wait and see, I got Ellenberger though but hey Sanchez seems to always pull out decision wins out of his ass i,e Clay Guida, and Martin Kapnman.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
This show is in two weeks, looking forward to seeing Ellenberger and Sanchez back in action, i really like Diego but i think Jake is going to take the fight here. He's one of the best young guys in the WW division.

The last four weekends I've watched like 15 hours of live UFC fights including the prelims, so having to wait two weeks for the next show is going to be horrible.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;HvXxFg3UODs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HvXxFg3UODs[/video]

I'd agree with everything Sanchez says in this, really hoping Ellenberger gets a title shot if Diaz legit doesn't rematch Carlos the winner of this main event should fight Condit this Summer.

Dademo

Reaction score
I wish I had Fuel TV, because this is just a great card. I see Ellenberger taking this fight, and going on to fight Condit in July. Ellenberger hits really fucking hard, and although Diego's got one of the best chins in MMA today, I can see this fight being ended by a big cut to Diego or some sort of Doctor Stoppage. MAYBE a decision, if it's 3 rounds.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Diego Sanchez and the Dangers of Fame in MMA

Diego Sanchez’s past several years could serve as a cautionary tale about the potential dangers that come along with the notoriety of being an MMA fighter.

In June 2009, Sanchez was at the height of his MMA career. He had defeated Clay Guida to improve his MMA career record to 21-2. More importantly, the win assured him his next fight would be for the UFC lightweight title against champion B.J. Penn.

Sanchez had proven himself inside the UFC Octagon. But outside, it was a different story.

"I got sucked real deep into the fame and the money," Sanchez said recently on The MMA Hour. "I was a bachelor and I got sucked into a bad life of partying. I got really into smoking weed, drinking, partying. After my Clay Guida fight, I went down a bad path, man. It was just not a good path. After my loss to B.J. Penn it just got worse. I got really out of control."

If careless spending wasn’t enough of a problem, the Albuquerque native fell victim to an investment scam.

"To make it worse, one of my best friends completely robbed me blind," Sanchez said. "Set me up and embezzled me for about $150,000."

And so, three months after challenging for the UFC lightweight title, Sanchez was broke.

"In February of 2010, I had hit rock bottom, completely. I was broke. I was down and out, man," Sanchez recalled. "This guy had run me dry. The money had I set away to pay taxes, I was $230,000 in debt with the I.R.S."

Sanchez relied on drugs and alcohol to mask his personal and financial difficulties. Sanchez failed to stop even when he had his next fight lined up.

"I was in a bad place. The only place to cover this up, the depression and anxiety, was the drinking and smoking weed. I was smoking so much weed it was ridiculous. And I was still drinking leading up to Hathaway fight. I knew I had no place stepping in the cage. But I had to because I needed the money."

Sanchez was upset by British rising star John Hathaway in a unanimous decision, suffering back-to-back losses for only the second time in his career.

After the fight, a new addition to Sanchez's life forced him to turn his life around. Ironically, this "blessing" was brought on once again from being a victim of his own fame.

A woman whom Sanchez had met online deceived the fighter into believing he was the father of their child. Based on the child’s striking similarities, Sanchez foregone a DNA test and raised the child as his own.

The path to discovering the truth began when he married another woman and was no longer allowed by the mother to visit the child. In an attempt to gain custody of the child, Sanchez hired an attorney. During the process, Sanchez finally underwent a DNA test and learned there were no blood ties.

"I was crushed. It was heartbreaking for me that he wasn’t mine," Sanchez said. "I had to take it for what it was and just accept it ...

"The girl that put me through this, she knew all along he wasn’t mine." Sanchez continued. "It was all a big plan to get money or something: the money, the fame, she wanted to be in the limelight and say she had Diego Sanchez’s son … I don’t know."

Having overcome these challenges, Sanchez immersed himself in God. Completely, this time. And after his MMA career is over, Sanchez intends to work for the ministry full-time.

"I dedicated my life to Jesus Christ, for real," Sanchez said. "I was never truly, according to his righteousness. I just turned everything around and put everything in God’s hands. "

Since the loss to Hathaway, Sanchez has defeated two top welterweights in Paulo Thiago and Martin Kampmann and will next face Jake Ellenberger at UFC on FUEL TV on Feb. 15. The winner could conceivably be within reach of a title shot.

"I still believe that it’s in my destiny to be a world champion," Sanchez said. "It’s in God’s hands. I’m just going to do my part and work as hard as I can."

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Holy crap I didn't realise that he went through all of that. Shocking that first he was scammed by a good friend and then the fact that some woman tried to claim he was the father of her child! I always find it so weird though when these famous people suddenly become born again christians, some common sense would dictate that you are on the wrong path after you lost $150k in a scam and that you fell for someone pretending to have mothered your child. After that most people would give up the hard stuff and just stay clean without having to use God as a way out.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Shit, i thought this show was next week just realizing it's on tomorrow, weigh ins today @ 5.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Diego's interviews are boring as hell since he became a Christian.

Helwani was waiting like an hour for him to stfu so he could ask another question.