UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis II

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
UFC-164-poster.jpg

Main Card

Lightweight Title Fight-Ben Henderson vs T.J. Grant
Josh Barnett vs Frank Mir
Erik Koch vs Dustin Poirier
Clay Guida vs Chad Mendes
Ben Rothwell vs Brandon Vera

Preliminary Card

Nikita Krylov vs Soa Palalei
Chico Camus vs Kyung Ho Kang
Tim Elliott vs Louis Gaudinot
Pascal Krauss vs Hyun Gyu Lim
Derek Brunson vs Yoel Romero
Magnus Cedenblad vs Jared Hamman​

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Re: UFC 164: Henderson vs. Grant

Sickest card this year maybe.

Nobody really knows what to make of TJ Grant, he's one of those guys who really shouldn't be there and has wayyyy overachieved. Seems like he crept up to the title contender spot up until the Maynard demolition job by beating also-rans in emphatic style, sort of like what Matt Brown is doing at welterweight. Definitely a live underdog in that one.

Barnett vs Mir is a total dream match for me and I imagine I will have a jizz fest while watching the transitions and sub reversals. That is, if Mir's chin holds up as it's pretty damn bad. Hope Barnett gets the W if only to make a fresh contender at HW, even though I see both JDS & Cain smashing him. Barnett/Werdum for #1 contender spot wouldn't be a bad call next.

Koch/Poirier should be exciting, both are close to the top of the 145s even though they both lost recently. Same goes for Mendes/Guida, wouldn't be surprised if the winner got Aldo next over Lamas. Guida has been super negative lately so I'm not looking forward to that one, can only see Mendes steaming to a UD though.

Who cares about Brandon Vera, really.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton

Looking forward to Mir v Barnett, should be an epic fight even at this stage of their careers. No interest in seeing Bendo win another coin toss though.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily

Mir seems to be the Strikeforce welcome wagon with Daniel and now welcoming Josh back. But I'm definitely looking forward to the sub reversals and the grappling that is to be done there. The human chess game that will be this fight is what I'm most looking forward to. Like with Mir went against Big Nog in their second fight I was like... this is gonna be nice. Hopefully we won't have to see another bone broken but... this should be good.

If Guida doesn't do the running man and actually fights I'd be all for it. But I just don't see him willing to commit and instead will try to do more running around and bouncing and dancing than anything and that is pretty much what irritates me with Guida fights.

Vera... nighty night.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily

Main Event has just been changed.

TJ Grant is out... Pettis is in. Henderson vs. Pettis!

YES!

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily

Yeah... I still would rather see Pettis vs. Aldo cause man that just looked like it was gonna be too awesome... but this rematch needed to happen. And finally it is gonna happen. Hopefully nothing derails this.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton

I'm kind of hoping if Aldo beats KZ and Pettis beats Bendo it'd set up a Superfight between the two Champs, seems unlikely to ever happen now unless either guy changes weightclass. Damn Pettis injury, it ruined what was going to be a great fight leading into a Superfight, showing GSP/Silva/Jones that you dont need to dance around the topic for 5 years.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score

Much better match up and more marketable, i still expect the same result though with Bendo winning via decision.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Pettis finally gets that title shot after more than two years of waiting. Very good choice of replacement by UFC, can't wait to see this card. Still think that Bendo will win but it should be a fun fight. Have to tune in to see Barnett back in UFC again as well.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Could do without seeing the showtime kick another billion times but it's a great fight and worked out for the better.

TJ Grant still needs to prove he's more than just a live underdog IMO. Pettis is a legit contender.

Ryan

Reaction score
I don't think this changes much. I've seen their first fight and I agree that Pettis is skilled and obviously that showtime kick was unbelievable - even if it has been seen a million times - but let's be honest not only has Bendo's skill improved since then but Pettis lost to Clay Guida, someone that Bendo beat pretty badly. Not to mention that I think that when most people think of that last fight, they're really only thinking about that one kick... that was maybe 7 seconds of the fight and in the rest of the fight, I think it was relatively close. Don't get me wrong, I was floored by the kick when I saw it too but as someone who watches fighting regularly, I've gotta look at more than that one kick. Pettis didn't dominate Henderson by any means and I think given how well Bendo's been doing lately and I think that given that his conditioning is some of the best of any fighter, he's going to avenge that loss. Bendo's resume is a lot more impressive and as I said, yes Bendo lost the last fight, but he beat one opponent they have in common that Pettis couldn't beat. I'm still hoping for a really exciting fight but I think Bendo's taking it. I am a huge fan though so I'm a bit biased. As for Pettis v Aldo... I really think that's a forgone conclusion. If Frankie Edgar couldn't beat Aldo - and that was a great fight in my opinion - then Pettis sure as hell can't. I think Aldo's gonna remain at the top of the featherweight division for a long time. In my opinion, he's in a different class of fighter. He's damn near on the Anderson Silva (yes, I know he just lost but you can't take anything away from his exceptional skill)/Jon Jones level. I mean, he's only got one loss in 23 pro fights and it was 8 years ago. Who is better than Aldo P4P? GSP? Jones? Silva? Not Pettis.

Last edited:

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
If Bendo just scrapes by chewing his toothpick and throwing shitty leg kicks for 25 minutes all it takes is one big Pettis kick to get him the judges nod.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I don't think this changes much. I've seen their first fight and I agree that Pettis is skilled and obviously that showtime kick was unbelievable - even if it has been seen a million times - but let's be honest not only has Bendo's skill improved since then but Pettis lost to Clay Guida, someone that Bendo beat pretty badly. Not to mention that I think that when most people think of that last fight, they're really only thinking about that one kick... that was maybe 7 seconds of the fight and in the rest of the fight, I think it was relatively close. Don't get me wrong, I was floored by the kick when I saw it too but as someone who watches fighting regularly, I've gotta look at more than that one kick. Pettis didn't dominate Henderson by any means and I think given how well Bendo's been doing lately and I think that given that his conditioning is some of the best of any fighter, he's going to avenge that loss. Bendo's resume is a lot more impressive and as I said, yes Bendo lost the last fight, but he beat one opponent they have in common that Pettis couldn't beat. I'm still hoping for a really exciting fight but I think Bendo's taking it. I am a huge fan though so I'm a bit biased. As for Pettis v Aldo... I really think that's a forgone conclusion. If Frankie Edgar couldn't beat Aldo - and that was a great fight in my opinion - then Pettis sure as hell can't. I think Aldo's gonna remain at the top of the featherweight division for a long time. In my opinion, he's in a different class of fighter. He's damn near on the Anderson Silva (yes, I know he just lost but you can't take anything away from his exceptional skill)/Jon Jones level. I mean, he's only got one loss in 23 pro fights and it was 8 years ago. Who is better than Aldo P4P? GSP? Jones? Silva? Not Pettis.

I agree with a lot that you said there... but I think that Pettis would stand a better chance on the feet at least then Edgar. Plus Pettis has finishing power and can be devastating with that whereas other than the Maynard KO when was the last time Edgar finished anyone? Edgar can take a lot of abuse and keep going yeah but Pettis can keep going and finish the fight. I'd rate Pettis above Edgar and if Pettis were given the shot against Aldo it woulda been a bit more competitive and exciting. I'd still give the edge to Aldo because Aldo is just crazy unbelievably good... but I'd say Pettis would definitely have a shot cause his kicks are just as lethal as Aldo's.