UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah they've got to be hoping the Athletic Commission will let him fight or something, and if not then they'll change a few cards around to find somebody last minute. From what I've seen and read though, Dana plans on keeping the UFC 146 card intact and if he has to get a replacement for Reem it's going to be somebody who wasn't originally on the card. I'm sure he'd let Hendo take the fight if he was serious about it, maybe Werdum or even Carwin if he can make it back in time.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I would have said Carwin as well but his last loss was to JDS so it wouldn't br right for him. Werdum would be interesting. But... I dunno.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Joe Rogan on who he thinks should replace Overeem.

In case you've been living under a rock, Alistair Overeem failed a surprise drug test at a press conference to promote his UFC 146 main event heavyweight championship bout against reigning titleholder Junior dos Santos on May 26 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

This has led to the mixed martial arts (MMA) community getting as whacky as "The Reem's" testosterone levels.

That includes a campaign by fans to get the powers that be at UFC to insert the one and only Mark Hunt into the vacant slot opposite "Cigano" over the Memorial Day weekend. Supporters of this movement have got a Rally for Mark Hunt hashtag on Twitter and they've taken over popular MMA forum, The Underground.

Now, a high profile name is lending his support, as well.

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan dropped a recent post on The UG explaining why he's on board with it:

"There are some wise people on this board, and I support this movement. Style wise that might be the most exciting match up. Either way, even if Hunt doesn't replace the reem I would still love to see this matchup down the road, especially considering how good Hunt looked against Kongo."

Again, it needs to be noted that Overeem may not actually be out of the running for the fight. According to Jeremy Botter, he has now filed for a license in the state of Nevada and his hearing in front of the commission is set for April 24.

To that end, UFC President Dana White has already stated a decision on the main event will not come until after said hearing.

Still, the calls for Hunt to be given a title shot have grown from a whisper to a cry to a full blown rally. In the event Overeem fails to get licensed, would that be enough to convince the folks in power to give Hunt his chance at glory? He's on a three-fight winning streak, after all, and heavyweight isn't exactly a loaded division.

Why the hell not?

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Here's a a little interview with Mark Hunt.

"I have no idea. I think maybe, they want to see a feel good story of the year. I think people like to see an underdog. I mean, I wasn't event wanted in the UFC and here we are talking about getting a title shot. I think people like the feel good story. No one's told me nothing. I'm always last to find out. I'm still looking to fight Struve, but if I get a title shot then that is better for me and that will be thanks to the 'Army of Doom.' It's not up to me but the chances are good. I think the 'Army of Doom' has been bombing Dana Whites twitter. But whatever happens, it is what it is. But I won't be disappointed and Struve is a tough opponent and I will be moving on and when it is my time to get a title shot, I will. You can say whatever you want, but the UFC, at the end of the day they are going to do what they want, it's their call."

On how he matches up against "Cigano:"

"I match up good against anyone so I do match up against him. It's good to be underestimated and be the underdog, it's great, it gives me more drive and more fire. When someone tells you can't beat anyone or are not good enough, I get motivated."

When the topic of Alistair Overeem and PED's in MMA in particular came up, a normally quiet and reserved Hunt, seemed to get a little heated:

"Drugs in all sports is a big problem. It's a cutthroat business, people take this shit just to get by. I don't use that shit, but when Alistair takes that shit or whoever takes it they just screw themselves out. Like when Barnett screwed himself out of the fight with Fedor. But who am I too judge anybody. I don't take that shit and no one else should. If they do, that's on them, Alistair is now in court, and everything that Alistair has done is meaningless now. At the end of the day he just got caught cheating, so what's the deal? I lost to him, so did he use that shit when I was fighting him? That's on him, he has to live with that shit not me. It's not my position to judge him, he has to look himself in the mirror. At the end of the day, I don't give a crap who's taking what. The steroids are not going to help them when I hit them. Take as much as you like, I don't care."

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Is anyone seriously entertaining the idea of Mark Hunt, a guy who just recently started a winning streak to actually fight for a title?

Naw, need to think outside the box here and bring in Cormier.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I kind of understand why people are backing Mark Hunt, i even heard some people compare it to Brock Lesnar in the sense that he was given a shot and rolled with it and yeah. But i just don't think it's the right time for Hunt, would rather see either Barnett, Cormier or Werdum.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I never understood why people were even suggesting Mark Hunt. To create some new Cinderella story? The underdog, extreme underdog, gaining the upset? The difference between Lesnar and Hunt is that Lesnar was a draw and drew huge. Lesnar brought the people. Hunt... doesn't bring any of that. Yeah lesnar didn't have the wins... I mean really... Herring? But Hunt... that had to be a joke. The only comparison that the two have was the fights they had if Hunt were to be given a shot but that is just laughable.

Just give Cigano time off is Overeem can't get it appealed.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;FuqjmQxwgDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FuqjmQxwgDg[/video]

:lmao

Edgeomatic

Reaction score
Reem needs to get this appealed.. Too llate in the game to change stuff now.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
To me Mark Hunt getting the title shot would be a good underdog story but not the best result. I can understand that Dana doesn't want to break up the big number one contenders fight but they do need to find a big opponent for JDS. Hopefully they can get someone who isn't on the card to sign on but at this late stage it will be difficult. UFC normally come up with good replacements so hopefully they deliver here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Dana to get Fedor in to watch JDS slaughter him, only for Fedor to win and troll Dana :mike:

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Now this is a MMA card. Overreem I heard can still be in the main event. He just got tested positive for the substance, but his levels were way small. So he is going to Nevada late in April to get his license back. So the main event should be fine.

I got Dos Santos winning
I got Frank Mir making Cain tap
Screw Roy Nelson I hope Big Foot Silva wins

Also best thin about this heavyweight card.... no Pat Barry to hold it back, he is stuck on Fox he will be sucking it up there.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
It seems like Overeem is going to be able to fight on the card, but I'm still a little unsure. The main card + Prelim card for this show is crazy good.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
UFC-LOGO-3.jpg

MAIN CARD

*Junior Dos Santos vs. Frank Mir(HW Championship)
Cain Velasquez vs. TBA
Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Mark Hunt vs. Stefan Struve

PRELIMINARY CARD
Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig
Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller
Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

Well now it's been confirmed, Overeem is out of the fight with Dos Santos. Frank Mir gets the title shot now, still going to be one hell of a show. It'll be interesting to see who ends up fighting Cain and if they shake this card up a little bit more. I think it will stay as an all heavyweight main card so we'll see. Also had to use a random UFC logo until they re-release the poster.​

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Maybe if Overeem gets the pass... it'll be Cain vs. Overeem for a new number one contender's fight

Status
Not open for further replies.