UFC 142: Mendez VS Aldo

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
If Mario didn't blow a call, i would've predicted all of the winners correct for the prediction league so far.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
He better not mess up this fight, Imagine Joe Rogan if he blew a call in a main event title match.

Ben

Reaction score
Quick finish and there really is no one next in line for him

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah 1 second left in the first round and he got him with a knee to the head, crazy stuff.

And yeah, i have no idea who he's gonna go up against next.

This crowd was awesome.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Here's the quick results for UFC 142

• Jose Aldo def. Chad Mendes via knockout (knee and punches) - Round 1, 4:59 - retains featherweight title
  • Vitor Belfort def. Anthony Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 4:45
  • Rousimar Palhares def. Mike Massenzio via submission (heel hook) - Round 1, 1:03
  • Carlo Prater def. Erick Silva via disqualification (illegal punches) - Round 1, 0:29
  • Edson Barboza def. Terry Etim via knockout (spinning heel kick) - Round 3, 2:02
  • Thiago Tavares def. Sam Stout via unanimous decision (no scores given)
  • Gabriel Gonzaga def. Ednaldo Oliveira via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:22
  • Yuri Alcantara def. Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
  • Mike Pyle def. Ricardo Funch via TKO (knees and punches) - Round 1, 1:22
  • Felipe Arantes def. Antonio Carvalho via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

The Erick Silva fight was BS, Dana even said that on Twitter. Completely blown Call By the ref. And that spinning back kick Ko by Barboza was one of the best KO's I've seen, and was clearly KO of the night. The Jose Aldo fight was awesome because Mendez got kneed in the head with 1 second left in the round and was knocked out, and Aldo running out of the octagon and into the crowd and the crowd carrying him on their shoulders was pretty awesome as well the crowd was into this show all night long and Brazilian fighters went 9-1 on the show. Even though Johnson lost to Belfort, he impressed me in this fight and i really think Dana should let him stick around and work on his game because if he didn't give his back up to Belfort, i honestly thought he could've won that fight. Rousimar is probably my favorite submissionist in the UFC that guy can get you from anywhere in any kind of submission and you will tap out , over all i enjoyed the show i defiantly don't think it was a card for casual MMA fans, but i enjoyed it a lot.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
That crowd was awesome. The fights were awesome. I missed the prelims but the main card delivered. No decisions. That spinning back kick... HOLY!!!! Mannn and then Aldo... who in the world can match up to Aldo for his belt now?

And I am so glad Vitor won his fight. Very glad. Had me a lil concerned seeing Rumble going in over the weight limit... by a lot... but Vitor still did it. Vitor is the man.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah Vitor wants a shot at Silva, and knows he had to win here to even have that as a possibility. And i have no idea, Jose Aldo has ran through everybody pretty much in his division.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Vitor was gonna be coaching regardless he won or loss so he was going to get the fight. But with a win everything looks better. And being Johnson while 12 pounds over the limit... that just makes it even more impressive. But Aldo is crazy man. I was just like wow... that is how you finish a fight. Second best KO right there. But that spinning back kick... KO of the year so far. Gonna be hard to top it.

I had my doubts that this card was going to not be that good... I was even going to opt to skip the show but I was talked into hanging out to watch it and man alive I am definitely glad I did.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
RIO DE JANEIRO – Edson Barboza, Rousimar Palhares and Terry Etim each earned $65,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC 142 event. Barboza, in fact, got two of them worth $130,000 total.

Barboza earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Palhares picked up the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Barboza and Etim earned "Fight of the Night" honors.

MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) learned of the bonus winners and award amounts at UFC 142's post-fight press conference.

UFC 142 took place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The night's main card aired on pay-per-view, and portions of the preliminary card streamed on Facebook and aired on FX.

Lightweights Barboza and Etim kicked off the night's PPV main card. Etim came out strong and unloaded some heavy blows early, but Barboza soon slowed him with crushing leg kicks and a solid sprawl. Then, midway through the final round, Barboza ended the fight with a spinning wheel kick – the first in UFC history, according to UFC broadcast Joe Rogan – to earn the knockout win.

Palhares, meanwhile, went with what he does best: lower-body submissions. After scoring an early fight takedown, he secured middleweight Mike Massenzio's leg, torqued the heel hook, and forced a tap-out just 63 seconds into the fight. It was his sixth career win via the submission method.

MMAJunkie.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Vitor was gonna be coaching regardless he won or loss so he was going to get the fight. But with a win everything looks better. And being Johnson while 12 pounds over the limit... that just makes it even more impressive. But Aldo is crazy man. I was just like wow... that is how you finish a fight. Second best KO right there. But that spinning back kick... KO of the year so far. Gonna be hard to top it.

I had my doubts that this card was going to not be that good... I was even going to opt to skip the show but I was talked into hanging out to watch it and man alive I am definitely glad I did.

Yeah i just posted and that was KO of the night, that fight also got fight of the night too.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
That fight was good... but the ending just cemented it. That has to be candidate for KO of the year.

But that DQ finish was BS. Shouldn't of happened. He earned that victory.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
When it was going on i thought it was a ref stoppage, Erick Silva was killing the guy then after like 3 mins they say he was DQ'd for shots to the back of the head and then on the replays it shows he never touched the back of his head, Joe Rogan gets in the octagon and basically told the guy he was a complete moron.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
"We're going to pay him like he won the fight,"

"I would appeal it if I was him," White said. "The thing is that when you do it, Ratner is the guy to talk to about this. We try to run things the way that they're supposed to be run, like the athletic commission would."

White said he disagreed with Yamasaki's assessment of the fight-ending sequence, prompting him to award the win bonus.

White, who is never afraid to speak freely when he's upset at an official, was quick to defend Yamasaki's creditability as a referee. Rather than suggesting the longtime official was incompetent, White said the alleged mistake shows the real need for instant replay in the sport as a means of quickly correcting simple mistakes.

"It drives me crazy," White said. "It drives me fucking crazy. Every other sport has instant replay.

"Listen, there are refs out there like Steve Mazzagatti that are just plain bad. He's a bad fucking ref. He's got no business in the ring. But you've got guys like Mario Yamasaki and some of the other guys that are going to make mistakes. There's nothing wrong with making mistakes. There's nothing wrong. We're fucking human. We're going to do it. But you have to be able to go back and say, 'We made a fucking mistake. Here's the damn proof. Let's overturn it.'"

Yamasaki's disputed call wasn't the only officiating oddity of the night. Many fans and pundits openly questioned referee Dan Miragliotta's repeated restarts of Vitor Belfort and Anthony Johnson in the night's co-main event. While the moves certainly didn't come during the middle of an important transition or submission attempt, they did seem to come in rather quick fashion.

White also believes Miragliotta's actions were indicative of the officiating inconsistencies that often seem to plague the sport.

"Inconsistency," White said. "First of all, I think when there's any stalling and shit like that, you should be stood up. But I saw on Twitter and stuff that people were saying the stand-ups were quick, and I would not disagree. I think it's inconsistent."

Dana White is such an angry person, rightfully so though.

Status
Not open for further replies.