UFC 142: Mendez VS Aldo

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
After years of cutting in excess of 30 pounds – and sometimes as much as 50 – to fight in the welterweight division, Anthony Johnson likes the idea of fighting at middleweight.

So much so, in fact, that he's "so far" done with his former weight class.

"This is easy," he said. "This is going to be a lot of fun for me."

Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) is now 215 pounds in advance of his debut at middleweight, which comes Jan. 14 at UFC 142 against former champ Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC). Johnson vs. Belfort is part of the main card of the pay-per-view event. Preliminary-card bouts air live on FX.

"Everything has come to where it needs to be right now," Johnson said. "I'm peaking at the right time."

Think ultimately he will decide to stay at Middleweight, i know some guys go back to their former weight class if their debut in a newer weight class doesn't go well but don't see it happening here if he loses the fight with Belfort.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I agree I see him sticking with middleweight as well. It will be much better for him staying at that weight rather than trying to cut so much weight before each fight which will drain a lot of energy. Good challenge for him facing Belfort and it will take a lot to beat Belfort.

Not really sold on the whole card though, don't think that it is worth a purchase.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
After years of cutting in excess of 30 pounds – and sometimes as much as 50 – to fight in the welterweight division, Anthony Johnson likes the idea of fighting at middleweight.

Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) is now 215 pounds

Errrrrm........so he's still cutting 30lbs, even though hes moved up lol.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I can see Aldo losing against Mendes.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
This card is not worth buying imo.

Only two fights really that interest me, and lol at Gonzaga being back in the UFC. Oh Dana you have your way with words. Anyways I hope Jose actually looks like himself he has been less than impressive and losing rounds he should not be losing. Should be interesting this fight and Chad has a good chance.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah i can't see myself buying this one afterall, as like you I'm only really interested in two fights.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Vitor Belfort's Road To UFC 142, Episode 3

[video=youtube;lakJbPhsaq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lakJbPhsaq4[/video]​

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Here's the UFC 142 Press Conference From This Morning For Anybody Interested, It starts at around 30:00.

[video=youtube;rbcVtxoIaN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rbcVtxoIaN0[/video]

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Jesus christ, Rumble was way over weight, over 205lbs apparently at the weigh ins.

Hes been fined but Belfort says he'll still fight him if he gets under 205lbs by tomorrow.

I knew he looked way too big......should be making it by now considering he was at welter so long.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah he was way over weight, he was fined 20% of his earnings from the fight as a result.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
"The stipulation is, Vitor does not want him to weigh more than 205 pounds by tomorrow at like 2 o'clock in the afternoon. So we'll see how this thing plays out. He'll weigh in today and have to weigh in tomorrow," said White. "As a fighter, you are a professional. You are contracted to come in at a certain weight. This is not the first time this has happened with Johnson. He moved up to 185 pounds so this wouldn't happen to him at 170 pounds, and here we are in the same position again. [Belfort] came in like a professional on weight, and Anthony Johnson comes in as a total unprofessional, way overweight."

One thing Dana White hates more than anything is guys who come in and don't make weight for their fights.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I just watched the highlight of the weigh in and Joe said Rumble weighed 197 and was overweight, but must weigh 205 tommorow? Can someone explain that to me as i'm rather confused by it?

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah there was a bunch of different reports out about how much he actually weighed, but officially it was 197.

It was just a stipulation that Vitor wanted because he still wants the fight and the UFC granted it guess. If he makes weight at 205 when they do the fight tomorrow it's all good if he isn't at 205 the fight is cancelled.

I guess Johnson was trying to cut down to 185 earlier today, and he got sick and dehydrated so then they came up with the stipulation of 205, or no fight.

Johnson has struggled to make weight in a lot of his fights, and the UFC knows he likely wouldn't be able to cut down to 185 overnight.

Last edited:

mmafansrock

Reaction score
Sat, Jan 14, 2012

UFC 142: PPV CARD @ 10PM ET
Featherweight Championship
José Aldo (c) vs. Chad Mendes
Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson
Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Massenzio
Erick Silva vs. Carlo Prater
Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim

UFC 142: PRELIMS ON FX @ 8PM ET
Thiago Tavares vs. Sam Stout
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa
Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle
Fabio Maldonado vs. Caio Magalhaes
Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio Carvalho

LIVE AND FREE @ MMAFANSROCK

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Yeah there was a bunch of different reports out about how much he actually weighed, but officially it was 197.

It was just a stipulation that Vitor wanted because he still wants the fight and the UFC granted it guess. If he makes weight at 205 when they do the fight tomorrow it's all good if he isn't at 205 the fight is cancelled.

I guess Johnson was trying to cut down to 185 earlier today, and he got sick and dehydrated so then they came up with the stipulation of 205, or no fight.

Johnson has struggled to make weight in a lot of his fights, and the UFC knows he likely wouldn't be able to cut down to 185 overnight.
I somewhat understand now, but it still sounds stupid as hell to me as he's still allowed to put on more weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.