UFC 142: Mendez VS Aldo

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
It is stupid, and Johnson moved to middleweight because he's had problems making weight in previous fights and he thought moving up would solve that issue but obviously not, Dana will likely take that into consideration next time he books him in a fight. I mean if Belfort never agreed to let Johnson put on more weight and come into the fight at 205 That fight would've been cancelled from what I've read, hell it still might be cancelled if at 2pm tomorrow Johnson isn't at 205.

Also just read this, which is no surprise to me at all

"His job is on the line," White said. "His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said. "There's no other way it can be explained.

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Anthony Johnson was supposed to make the jump from welterweight to middleweight at UFC 142 against Vitor Belfort. After years of struggling to make 170 pounds, he finally was doing the smart thing and moving up to 185.

...then he weighed in at 197 pounds.

The official explanation out of Johnson's camp for the weight problems this time was illness. Via MMA Weekly:

Robinson says that Johnson started feeling sick and unstable, and so a local doctor came in to check him out to see what exactly was going on.

The doctor gave Johnson fluids to see if it would improve his condition, and within a couple of hours, the Blackzilian fighter started to come back to life. Unfortunately, at this point it was too late to cut the weight back down to 186lbs.

"It was medical reasons, it wasn't for lack of effort," Robinson said. "The UFC was extremely supportive and said health comes first."

Now, Rumble has hit up Facebook and doesn't exactly sound apologetic:

I'm already laughing at what ppl are saying. Yeah it was for medical reason and I did what the UFC Dr Told me to do. Believe it or don't I give a f**k cuz the ppl close to me were freaking out but I'm still alive and something like this has never happen before. Say what you want I'm still gonna do my thang. You try not having feeling in your legs and can't move then and see how you look at life after that

I can't imagine any doctor letting him fight if he couldn't feel his legs 24-36 hours before a fight....So I'm not sure how true that part is.

But Anyways, if this was a one time thing, most people probably wouldn't care at all and it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but this is multiple times now. He might be getting cut from the UFC over it this time though.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Poor effort by Johnson to fail to hit the right weight especially since he moved up an entire division to stop it from happening. If his illness story is true then I can't see him being cleared to fight tomorrow.

Can't believe that the PPV is tomorrow, time has flown and it didn't feel like it has been that long since the last UFC PPV.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
What's insane is, there's a UFC show this weekend, UFC On Fx1 next weekend, UFC on Fox 2 the weekend after that and then 7 days later UFC 143 on Feb 4th. I can't wait hah

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Well Johnson ended up making weight at 204.2. And for anybody wondering about the size advantage over Belfort, don't even worry about it because HE ALSO put on weight over night and came in at 205. So He'll be around 208 or so for fight time, and Johnson will probably be around the same.

Ben

Reaction score
Dana just tweeted the Rumble weighed in again before the fight at 211 and Vitor at 206, so really not that much of weight difference, as opposed to the 20lb difference everyone thought would happen.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
This is going to be a good fight, two guys who have great stand up. And know how to win on the ground.

Ben

Reaction score
Not really feeling this match, though there be a lot more action.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Gotta love 30 second TKO's.

Eric Silva is a pretty good fighter, i like what he's done in the UFC

Status
Not open for further replies.