UFC 141: Lesnar VS Overeem

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Nam Phan (17-9 MMA, 1-2 UFC) will fight for the third time in fewer than five months when he takes on fellow featherweight Jim Hettes (9-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 141.

Verbal agreements are in place for the fight, according to UFC officials.

Featuring a heavyweight headliner between former UFC champ Brock Lesnar and recent Strikeforce titleholder Alistair Overeem, UFC 141 takes place Dec. 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The main card of the Friday-night event airs on pay-per-view, though Phan vs. Hettes likely will be part of the preliminary card.

Phan, a cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 12," likely saved his UFC job with a unanimous-decision victory Leonard Garcia at UFC 136. The victory served as redemption after a December 2010 split-decision loss to Garcia, a decision widely panned by MMA fans. The questionable defeat was part of an overall 1-4 skid for the Strikeforce and World Victory Road vet.

The Brazilian jiu-jitsu and karate black belt now meets the Pennsylvania-based Hettes, who recently made his octagon debut and submitted Alex "Bruce Leroy" Caceres at UFC on Versus 5. Hettes, an accomplished judoka, now is 9-0 with nine submission victories, which included domination on the Pennsylvania regional circuit before signing with the UFC.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;4Y8prwdviyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Y8prwdviyg[/video]

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Just watching that was intense, i can't wait for this fight. Both are fucking monsters.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Mannn... that is how you make a hype video. That is how you really hype a fight. Mannnn that was intense. That was awesome.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I’m just trying to build my confidence in my stand-up and be a well-rounded fighter. To come back and win this fight and to win the UFC heavyweight championship back, that’s my dream,” Lesnar said during a press conference promoting the event.

Lesnar doesn’t’ have the experience of Overeem, but facing a more experienced opponent has been the case in every fight Lesnar’s had in his mixed martial arts career.

“Alistair’s done a lot of good things overseas, and I think he’s got a lot of fights. It’s an honor for me to get in the Octagon to kick his ass,” Lesnar declared when asked about Overeem’s more decorated resume.

Since signing with the UFC, Overeem has left Holland and Team Golden Glory to train in the U.S. at the Xtreme Couture Gym in Las Vegas. Lesnar briefly trained with Xtreme Couture founder Randy Couture after defeating the UFC Hall of Famer to win the title at UFC 91 in November of 2008.

“It’s a free country,” said Lesnar about Overeem’s training with Couture. ” He can train where he wants. It ain’t going to really matter I don’t think.”

MMAJunkie.com

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
That hype video is great. Most anticipated fight in a long time for me and it is on at a great time since it will be on new years eve in Australia.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I think I have earned a UFC world title fight, by winning every major title outside the UFC, but I am here to prove that I am – without question

– the best heavyweight on the planet. You don’t do that sitting on the sidelines or working out in the gym, you do that by fighting and beating the best available opposition in the biggest fights that can be made.

Myself vs. Lesnar is a huge fight and I jumped at the chance to fight him.
He is great at takedowns and controlling people on the ground, but he I can stop his takedowns and he is no match for me on the feet.

But I don’t underestimate this man. Winning UFC belt from Randy Couture in his fourth pro MMA fight and defending it against Frank Mir and

Shane Carwin was very impressive. I am also impressed by Lesnar’s fighting spirit; he has twice come back from a very serious illness and fought very tough opposition right away. He obviously has a lot of confidence in himself in fighting me after more than a year out and surgery on his stomach, and I admire that about him, but I am even more confident in myself. I will knock this guy out.

I am going to rip Brock Lesnar apart, piece by piece.”

Newly signed UFC heavyweight fighter, Alistair Overeem, was recently interviewed by Yahoo Sports and the above quote is the result.
Staying with his catch phrase for his UFC 141 main event against former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, Overeem once again proclaims that he is going to rip Brock apart “piece by piece.”

Can he keep it standing long enough to back up the talk or will Lesnar’s wrestling game takeover
If Brock can establish a ground game quick, Overreem is fucked. From what lesnar's said his stand up is better than ever also. But Brock's going to want to take this fight to the ground, and try to win it that way.

Dademo

Reaction score

If Brock can establish a ground game quick, Overreem is fucked. From what lesnar's said his stand up is better than ever also. But Brock's going to want to take this fight to the ground, and try to win it that way.

Lesnar saying his striking is better than ever doesn't warrant that he should stand with arguably the best striker in MMA at the moment. Don't stand with Overeem, that's it. If Brock can take him down, he's going to win. I think Overeem is going to murk Brock though.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Oh i agree, that's why i said the only way he's going to win is to establish a ground game in the opening round and work with it the whole fight.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
the main thing that impresses me about Brock... he has only had one "easy" fight in his career and that was his initial debut MMA fight where he won in like 30 seconds. After that Mir, Herring, Couture, Mir, Carwin, Cain, and now Overeem. The guy win or lose has proven to be a guy that ill take the toughest fights out there despite not being a guy to have fought for years upon years. But he has the freakish abilities to be in there with them.

As far as his striking goes... any improvements he's made won't be enough to stand with Overeem. And that coupled with the fact that he should not trade shots since he isn't really good at taking shots. So he should really look to take it down when the time is right otherwise he could wind up eating a vicious knee and then it'd be lights out.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah Brock's face tends to get fucked up when he stands up in fights, as you can see from this lmao.

15147241c9806702c11e319ed4b23cf99ef4c6a5.jpeg

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Taking the fifth and final spot on the pay-per-view card is a previously announced fight between featherweights Nam Phan (17-9 MMA, 1-2 UFC) and Jim Hettes (9-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC).

UFC 141 takes place Dec. 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and heavyweights Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem clash in the headliner.

In addition to the main card, two bouts air as part of a "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV, and additional prelims are expected to stream on Facebook. UFC 141 is the final event of the UFC's 2011 season and takes place on a rare Friday night.

Phan, a cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 12," fights for the third time in fewer than five months. He's coming off a unanimous-decision victory over Leonard Garcia at UFC 136. Hettes, who recently made his octagon debut and submitted Alex "Bruce Leroy" Caceres at UFC on Versus 5, owns nine submission victories in nine career wins.

Fightline.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;gv_WOcgNqdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gv_WOcgNqdU[/video]

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I liked the other video a lot more. Generated a whole lot more hype for the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.