Top 15 Matches of 2008

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

WWE/TNA Top Ten Matches of 2008

15) John Cena vs. Batista (SummerSlam)

14) Kurt Angle vs Abyss (Falls Count Anywhere, Turning Point)

13) CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio (Armageddon)

12) Joe vs. Kurt Angle (Lockdown)

11) Raw ELimination Chamber (No way Out)

10) HBK vs. Chris Jericho (Ladder Match , NO Mercy)

9) Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt (Ladder Match No Surrender)

8) Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett (Bound for Glory)

7) Jeff Hardy vs. HHH ( No Mercy )

6) HBK vs. Chris Jericho (Judgement Day)

5) World X Cup (Victory Road)

4) Edge vs. Jeff Hardy vs. HHH (Armeggeddon)

3) Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles (Last man Standing, Hard Justice)

2) HBK vs Ric Flair ( Wrestlemania)

1) Undertaker vs. Edge (Hell in a Cell, SummerSlam)

Top 15 Indy Matches (ROH, PWG, NOAH, FIP)

15) Marifuji Vs. Go Shoizaki ( Death before Dishonor, ROH)

14) Bryan Danielson vs. Cluadio Castagnoli (Northern Navigation, ROH)

13) BxB Hulk + Shingo vs. Steenerico (Supercard of Honor 3, ROH)

12) Nigel Mcguiness vs. Roderick Strong ( Without Remorse, ROH)

11) Erick Stevens vs. Roderick Strong ( Redefined, FIP)

10) Age of the Fall vs. Motor City Machine Guns ( Tag Wars, ROH)

9) Austin Aries vs. Jimmy Jacobs (Vendetta II, ROH)

8) Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel Mcguiness ( 6th Anniversary, ROH)

7) Brent Albright vs. Adam Pearce (NWA championship, DBD, ROH)

6) Human Tornado vs. Chris Hero ( Guerilla Warefare, PWG)

5) Kenta + Ibushi vs. Marifuji + Nakajima (Toyko Summit, ROH)

4) Steenerico vs. Age of the Fall ( Driven, ROH)

3) Nigel Mcguiness vs. Tyler Black ( Take no prisoners, ROH)

2) Nigel Mcguiness vs. El Generico ( Age of Insanity, ROH)

1) Kenta vs. Marifuji ( 60 mins, NOAH )​

Beer

Interesting choices. I loved Jericho and HBK at No Mercy, should be higher up, imo. Mind if I make my own list?

Axis

A bit too much love for Nigel, but that's just me. My only other big changes would be to move Flair/Michaels up to #1 and drop the HBK/Jericho off the list all together. Other than that, great picks. 2008 has really been a solid year, especially for the WWE.

Reaction score
Pretty good list. I agree for the most part with these picks. Flair's retirement match would be lower on my list, i recognize it's importance and all, but as for a match it wasn't one of my top five choices. HBK vs. Jericho would also be a little lower on my list as I felt it dragged a bit too much. Over all, though, well done. I'd comment on the Indy stuff, but really didn't see hardly any of it.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
nice list, I agree with most of the stuff you had on there. I'm a little surprised that there was only one WM match on the list, I was thinking that one of the Main Events would make it.

Indy list is good too, I'm surprised I haven't seen Marufuji vs KENTA yet. It's good to see you don't have the 4 way from DBD there, it's ridiculously overrated. There's lots of Nigel matches on the list, and that's a good thing.

Montana

Sure, anyone can post a list if they want.

Yeah, the reason Nigel gets the love, is because he's been the champ, and when he wrestles, the match has a "big time" feel to the match. Plus he's a master of pyschology and playing to the crowd. There was tons of great ROH matches, but these stood out to me, in one way or another.

I also wasn't a big fan of HBK/Jericho ladder match. I thought their Judgement Day match was better, and really the match didnt live up to ALL the hype. Plus it started off a little slow, for such a heated fued. I'm sure many would rate that match higher than i did.

Soda Popinski

Reaction score
Nice job man with both lists.

I especially like your Indy list. For my number one I'd either go with what you have or the main event 4 way from Death Before Dishonor.

Soda Popinski

Reaction score
nice list, I agree with most of the stuff you had on there. I'm a little surprised that there was only one WM match on the list, I was thinking that one of the Main Events would make it.

Indy list is good too, I'm surprised I haven't seen Marufuji vs KENTA yet. It's good to see you don't have the 4 way from DBD there, it's ridiculously overrated. There's lots of Nigel matches on the list, and that's a good thing.

It's hard for me to say the 4way is overrated because I was there live and have yet to see it on DVD. The closing moments of Tyler/Nigel was some of the best stuff I've ever seen live. Going into this match no one thought Tyler had a chance but somehow as the match progressed almost everyone thought he was gonna win. The match was well done.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
It's hard for me to say the 4way is overrated because I was there live and have yet to see it on DVD. The closing moments of Tyler/Nigel was some of the best stuff I've ever seen live. Going into this match no one thought Tyler had a chance but somehow as the match progressed almost everyone thought he was gonna win. The match was well done.

I was there live too, and I got so bored with it. Even when I saw it on DVD, I still had the same opinion on it. They could done something else instead of just lariat by Nigel, kickout, no sell by Tyler and then finisher, kickout for about 8-10 straight minutes. It was really exciting at first, but by the 3rd Lariat, it was already overkill. They should've just had a slow build instead of spots for a long time. But the parts before the one on one were well done.

The Rated R CMStar

I am doing a WWE list:

WWE Top 15 matches, imo

15. Smackdown's Scramble Match -Unforgiven
14. Chris Jericho vs Jeff Hardy -IC Title match on Raw
13. Raw's Elimination Chamber Match
12. John Cena vs Batista - Summerslam
11. Batista vs HBK -Stretcher Match, One Night Stand
10. Steel Cage Match, Edge, Edgeheads and Chavo vs Ric Flair and HBK -Smackdown
9. HHH vs Jeff Hardy - No Mercy
8. Edge vs The Undertaker-Wrestlemania 24
7. HHH vs Edge vs Jeff Hardy - Armageddon
6. CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio - Armageddon
5. The Royal Rumble Match - Royal Rumble
4. Edge vs The Undertaker -TLC, One Night Stand
3. TIE= HBK vs Chris Jericho Unsanctioned - Unforgiven and HBK vs Jericho Ladder Match
2. Ric Flair vs HBK - Wrestlemania 24
1. Edge vs The Undertaker -HIAC Summerslam

Reaction score
Good list CMStar, I like it for the most part! Now, I have one match that could and should probably fit in there, that is the ECW scramble match where Matt Hardy finally won the ECW belt. It was a hard fought victory and you didn't know who was going to win which is always good for a match. Matt also won with 3 seconds left, the match was a crazy one and it should definitely make the top 10! I don't blame you for not ptting it in though, I doubt anyone actually saw it! I'm actually gonna post a list of my top 10 ECW matches:

1) ECW Championship Scramble
2) Angle vs. Orton At The ECW One Night Stand
3) Matt Hardy vs. Evan Bourne At Cyber Sunday
4) Mark Henry vs. Big Show vs. Kane At The "Night Of Champions"
5) Jack Swagger vs. Ricky Ortiz (Swagger Handed Him His 1st Pinfall Loss)
6) Mark Henry vs. Finlay In A Belfast Brawl At Armageddon
7) Chavo vs. CM Punk To Win ECW Title
8) Big Daddy V vs. Tommy Dreamer In A ECW Extreme Rules match
9) Kane vs. Big Daddy V In A ECW Extreme Rules Match
10) Evan Bourne vs. Nunzio