Top 15 Matches of 2008

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

It was no wrestling spectacular - but come on: Ric Flair stands up but his back is still arched, he is spent. His fists are raised not for continued combat, but to demand HBK finish the job. He was emotionally breaking down, brave enough to sacrifice himself for the final finisher. HBK notices, you can see him breaking down as well. Then he says: "I'm sorry ... I love you."

It's a minute or two in wrestling you will never, ever forget. Easily the best match of the year for its emotional status.

Ok, I know everyone loves the match, and it was all emotional....and I'm one of the biggest Flair fans. My problem with the match, was HBK was carrying the whole thing. The match was super slow, and the pyschology was great, but take away the fact it was Ric Flair's last match, No one would even remember it. To me, it was a great moment, not so much a great match.

Plus ALOT of it was the great buildup to the match. I think had Ric Flair won, I might have given it the #1 spot, but I'm not fan a wrestler losing his last match.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Am I like the only one who didn't think the UT/Edge cell match was all that hot shit?

I recall watching the PPV and being like, 'this isn't crap, but I expected a lot more from these two.'

Could also be the post-match antics pissed me off. Ruined a perfectly serviceable match with more of Taker's supernatural, nobody buys this shit anymore garbage.

Nah, its that you have bad taste. :brows: I thought it was a top 5 contender for moty tbh imo and other abbreviations as well.

Axis

What I loved about the HIAC match was all of the revenge spots, as somebody else pointed out. Undertaker FINALLY had the opportunity to get Edge back for all of his wrongdoings, and he did so just the way that Edge did to him.

As for Flair/Michaels, I think that build-up matters in a match rating. Think about it; the build-up to Edge/Undertaker made that match great too. Without the history, it would have just been a random cluster of high spots. Emotion is what is the ultimate determinant in whether or not a match is great, in my opinion. That's what turned Guerrero/Lesnar and HHH/HBK/Benoit from good-great matches to modern classics.

teamfujiwara

Reaction score
I got HBK vs Jericho ladder match as match of the year.

Jaybsty

Reaction score
I think Edge vs. Undetaker at WM should be on the list somewhere. Edge really showed me how damn tough he is in that match. About all I have to add.

Jayfunk

Reaction score
1) Jeff Jarrent Vs Kurt Angle
2) Joe vs Sting
3) The Monster's Ball Match
4) Kurt Angle vs Abyss
5) Mschif vs Sal del Ray
6) Aj Styles vs Kurt Angle
7) Joe Vs Kurt Angle
8) Gail Kim vs Amesome Kong
9) Dutt vs Lethel in the ladder match.

that is all i can be bothered with. but to say TNA hasn't had any good matches is silly talk

Airfixx

10 faves from WWE 2008 (no particular order)....

Taker v Edge (HIAC) - Summerslam 08
Flair v HBK - Wrestlemania 24
HBK v Jericho - Take your pick.... A joy any time these guys work together. Just a shame that the ladder match wasn't quite the epic finish to the fued I'd hoped it would be. (Can't remember when their first match was, but that was probably my fave.)
HBK v Batista (Stretcher match) - ONS 08
HHH v Edge v J.Hardy - Armageddon 08
Mysterio v Punk - Armageddon 08
HHH v J.Hardy - ??? - The one where HHH won with the cradle-like pin, not the one where Jeff missed the second swanton.... Anyone remember which event that was?
Mizzorison v Punk & Kofi - Raw Dec 08
Cena v Batista - Summerslam 08
Royal Rumble match - RR08

Special props for:

Kane v Chavo - Wrestlemania 24 ;o]

Soulpower

What I loved about the HIAC match was all of the revenge spots, as somebody else pointed out. Undertaker FINALLY had the opportunity to get Edge back for all of his wrongdoings, and he did so just the way that Edge did to him.

This. It showed a lot of continuity, and felt like a fitting end to their feud. We had Taker using the camera (Much like Edge did last year in the Batista-Taker HIAC), we had Taker putting Edge through the tables (Payback for what happened in their TLC match). It had good storytelling, some awesome spots, and it was a great match.

I do admit that the post-match shenanigans were hokey, but it needed to be done to fully end the feud.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
WWE/TNA Top Ten Matches of 2008

15) John Cena vs. Batista (SummerSlam)

14) Kurt Angle vs Abyss (Falls Count Anywhere, Turning Point)

13) CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio (Armageddon)

12) Joe vs. Kurt Angle (Lockdown)

11) Raw ELimination Chamber (No way Out)

10) HBK vs. Chris Jericho (Ladder Match , NO Mercy)

9) Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt (Ladder Match No Surrender)

8) Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett (Bound for Glory)

7) Jeff Hardy vs. HHH ( No Mercy )

6) HBK vs. Chris Jericho (Judgement Day)

5) World X Cup (Victory Road)

4) Edge vs. Jeff Hardy vs. HHH (Armeggeddon)

3) Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles (Last man Standing, Hard Justice)

2) HBK vs Ric Flair ( Wrestlemania)

1) Undertaker vs. Edge (Hell in a Cell, SummerSlam)
I'm pretty lukewarm to your list (although, Cena vs. Batista should be higher and Triple H vs. Cena should be on there)...but your number 1 and number 2 are just AWFUL.

How can people think those matches are anything other than crap matches? They were terrible. HBK vs. Flair is ONLY considered important because it ended Flair's career. If it wasn't for that, the match would have been considered the worst Wrestlemania match in HBK's career. That match was awful.

And the Taker vs. Edge match was terrible as well. When people try to define a "spotfest", this match would be it. The two guys just went from one illogical spot to another. If you think this match is good, you must place Undertaker vs. Mankind HIAC match as the greatest match of all-time.

The rest of your list I'm pretty "meh" to, but those top two shouldn't even been in the Top 15.

C4

I'm going to go with top five, nothing was too special for me other than these five matches:

5) John Morrison vs. CM Punk (RAW) I know it wasn't anything special but there was something in this match that made be say, wow :shifty:

4) Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels - all of them were equally good and Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair - WrestleMania 24

3) Triple H vs. Edge vs. Jeff Hardy - Armageddon

2) RAW Elimination Chamber - No Way Out

1) Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarret

Slyfox696

Reaction score
How about you post us YOUR list then? --->
It wouldn't be a fair list. I haven't seen all the matches that I need to in order to make such a list.

But, I have seen those two matches, and they were awful. That I do know.

Airfixx

How about a some picks of those you did see then....?

Not trying to bait you.... Just curious.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
Hmm, ok. I can't do it now with work and all, but when I get some free time, I'll do it. I'll have to go back through the shows I've seen and remember the matches that I watched.

I will say that Cena vs. Batista will rank high on the list, as will the Cena vs. Michaels match from last night on Raw.

Montana

Technically HBK/Cena was in 2009. But i am also intrigued to see this list.