TNA's deal with Bellator

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
King Mo signed with Bellator and TNA in May 2012

Rampage Jackson signed with Bellator and TNA in June 2013

Tito Ortiz signed with Bellator and TNA in July 2013

Ever since Spike purchased Bellator they have been pushing for more cross promotion between the two companies since they are the two highest drawing shows on Spike. So far what has occured is Bellator have signed three MMA fighters that have appeared on TNA and at least two have started wrestling training. Their focus though is quite clearly fighting, at least in the short term, and so I wonder if there actually is any benefit to TNA to have three of these MMA fighters on their roster. Spike's parent company Viacom purchased Bellator in February this year and Bellator has been running on Spike since then so presumably any Bellator fan that was interested in wrestling would have already tuned in to Impact each week.

It is one thing to have one MMA fighter on the roster as it is quite unique but now that they have added the third it is getting a bit over the top. Add to that King Mo has yet to wrestle for TNA in the year and a half he has been signed and has barely made any appearances on television. Rampage has so far made a few appearances yet still hasn't been in the ring yet and granted Ortiz just appeared yesterday. The first signing they have had zero gain from it so far and it remains to be seen how much they will get out of the other two. Ortiz and Rampage's main focus is the first ever Bellator PPV that they are headlining in November. This cross promotion is just a deal to get more hype for that first ever Bellator PPV and helping TNA seems to be secondary.

Do you think that TNA have over done it with this partnership with Bellator by having three guys signed to them? Can you see them getting any gain out of this deal or will Bellator be the main winner from this deal?

Weez

Reaction score
I want to see this backfire so bad it's not even funny. I'd love to see them "Wrestle" on Impact and one of them legit get hurt and have to pull out of the main event. I'm not a bloodhound, I don't want them to break their neck or some shit, just an Ab strain or a pulled groin could keep them out at this point, especially if it's close. It'll be interesting to see if the cross promotion does anything for either company, honestly.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I've never been a fan of MMA stars in wrestling. Its seriously getting to the point now with all this cross brand crap that I just don't want to watch TNA anymore. I'm not an MMA fan. I want to watch wrestling for wrestling. Not to see MMA stars who have no idea what they're doing in the ring talking on the mic giving the same promo every week "I'm going to knock everyone out because I'm a fighter and I hurt people for a living."

People with good, or average wrestling skills, and semi big names like Morrison and Masters are getting over looked for washed up MMA guys? Makes sense. Oh, and the ratings prove that they don't do shit for the company. I hope Spike is paying their checks because TNA doesn't need to be wasting more money on worthless pick ups like these.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
TNA thinking "Brock Lesnar got WWE tons of buzz....I know! we need MMA guys too!". WWF had Shamrock and Severn, WCW had Tank Abbott. This is not a new concept, worked well for New Japan for awhile when wrestling and MMA were at their peak in Japan. Does this mean it will work for TNA.....Safe to say no. Find it odd that they got rid of cheaper talent only to bring in guys who will command atleast high 5 figures to show up and do nothing for one segment.

All I got to say is this, do you think Spike TV would ever dictate that UFC plug TNA during their run there? I remember once, but it never happened again after that. Which is why UFC makes money and Bellator doesn't atm. And why WWE makes money and TNA doesn't.

Bellator and tNA two peas in a pod imo.

Killz

Reaction score
NOTHING has spiked ratings properly for years so why isn't every creative member/board member/on-screen management personality taking courses in what sells wrestling shows? Oh wait, because they think they know better. 1 MMA star not do the job? 2 will. 2 not cut it? Cut some talent and bring in a 3rd. Why not make an MMA fight away from TNA and promote it even though it will make us no money? Sure Dixie, why not?

I mean come on. July 4th 2011/12 or whenever it was (big even obviously) when they got their biggest rating was why? LIVE TV with a hook. I'm not saying they can get that every week but seriously, good writing and good wrestling sells shows. When people on here try to outbook WWE I sort of thing "ehh, WWE are the ones making money though aren't they?". When members here try to outbook TNA I think "hey, you guys should have a run at it because you can't do any worse than than TNA right now".

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Predicted this would happen longass time ago.

Viacom get a new playtoy and TNA is put on the shelf to gather dust.

Also 'cross promotion' is overselling the deal, like Rated R said, TNA aren't getting any plugs from Bellator.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Pretty sure Bellator is plugging TNA right in the ass.

Reaction score
Ehhh, the only way this deal would work if they actually signed Batista imo if we're talking about getting actual ratings for both companies. Watched Bellator XCVII on Friday Night and I didn't see King Mo or Rampage Jackson plug TNA once o_O.

It's just a bad deal and poorly executed by management just like both companies from what I gather.

Reaction score
If we go by wwe history every mma wrestler has been pretty good in wrestling. So I could see this being good. Both of these guys are on the end of there mma career especially Tito. So this sets up a retirement plan for MMA fighters with charisma. Wouldn't that be the best type of wrestlers. The only issue is not giving them enough time to learn pro wrestling before there on tv.