TNA getting fat/lazy?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
So during the previous ppv I noticed that more than a few of there guys have gotten "pudgier" or just lazier seeming in the ring. ex. AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, RVD and just about any "Legend" thats walked through the doors in Orlando. Most legends will blatantly admit the reason they choose to go to TNA is because they don't have to do as much. There isn't any travel and if they live in the area (TNA workers do) they can just go home after the taping is over.

I've heard complaints about RVD just going through the motions and it's growing apparent to me that the rest of the roster is starting to follow suit. Could it be just the fact that TNA originals are getting old and they haven't infused with enough younger talent? Perhaps. But TNA is quickly becoming a company where you can go to phone in a performance. You'll always have the guys that put on good matches in hopes of moving up or going to WWE but most of the guys that have been there awhile or have no intentions of leaving are starting to become sub par.

Last edited:

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
How is Joe getting lazy? He's currently getting pushed and looking amazing doing it. He's finally doing the stuff we wanted him to do in a long time. He's got an edge to him now. I'm assuming Joey Styles was meant to be AJ. I'll admit he's seemingly getting lazy in the ring, but I think that could be due to injuries sustained over the years. I could be wrong though. And RVD, I heard he moved to Colorado.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I thought the Joe match at the last ppv looked horrible he moved very slow it looked like he was actually fatigued. Magnus was carrying that match in my eyes. I'm also positive it's not isolated to those three guys but those three are ones that have stood out recently.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Joe's getting fat but not lazy, he's still doing great in the ring in my opinion. AJ is getting lazy, but not fat, still doing just fine, but boring the hell out of me currently. RVD is a mixture of both, but more lazy even thought this past couple months he's done a good bit better.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I haven't seen the PPV yet. Joe has always been one of my favourite guys in TNA. So it would bum me out if he was losing steam now.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I've noticed ever since TNA have been LIVE that some of the wrestlers have been sloppy and don't seem to care that much. Styles most of the time seems like he just doesn't care anymore, RVD is clearly just in it for the paycheck As for JOE he's always been a big tubby guy and i know he has really bad knees so i think that has something to do with how he works out and what he can do in the gym.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I actually think they'll use this as a storyline for AJ and explain that for his loss in a way.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
As long as Daniels and Kaz have nothing to do with it.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Well it is TNA. You have the "WCW 2000" crew running things, so what do you expect? As for RVD, he's always going through the motions.

Undertaker

Reaction score
What do you expect from a promotion that is still stuck in the same position as it was 3 years ago? Most of TNA's big names have been on the podgier side. Samoa Joe has always been fat but surprisingly he has the ability to put on some fantastic matches. His match against Magnus at Turning Point was excellent. No way did Magnus carry Joe, if anything Joe out done Magnus but both guys made the match epic. As much as most of what TNA produce is generally poop we must remember to give them credit every now and again for the decent stuff.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Magnus carrying Joe, wow thats laughable. I'm a Magnus fan and really starting to get behind him but Joe was working hard in that match. People confuse selling and being tired too much. Joe was moving slow because he was selling Magnus and making him look good even if it meant Joe was going over.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I'm not confused he was moving slow way before it was called for. I used that one match as an example guess he sells so good he's slow in the rest of them too.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I dunno if it's TNA being lazy, but I just get the impression that TNA is more a relaxed company whether that be for better or worse. Nobody knows what their drug testing involves, although quite frankly i've never heard of one at all and when you have guys like RVD who all but said that TNA allows them to smoke weed, you gotta think they don't have one at all. They also seem to let their talent dabble in outside interests which i'm sure is a huge incentive for people, something the WWE doesn't really allow unless their involved in it.

As far as talent goes being lazy and all the rest, then i'd say (I haven't watched TNA properly for a while now) it's probably no different to the WWE really. There's gonna be the guys going through the motions picking up their salaries, guys doing their upmost to try and get noticed and move up the card and then those who are just generally unhappy with their lack of tv time, character development etc.

I tried looking for a rough number of house shows TNA does each year but I couldn't really find anything substantial and while they will obviously do significantly less house shows than the WWE does, I still imagine they will do a quite a large amount although that's purely just a guess.