TNA Destination X - July 8th, 2012 - Preview and Live Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
001.jpg

ppv1-3.jpg

ppv3-3.jpg

ppv4-3.jpg

Card subject to change

Well, TNA hasn't bothered to toss up a preview yet, showing once again how much they care about the X-Division. Oh well, I don't care how they feel about it, I love it and am very much looking forward to this show. Let's hear your thoughts on what matches you'd be interested in seeing. Ultimate X perhaps? Maybe another contract match? How about a Joey Ryan appearance? Any and all thoughts are welcome as we make our way to July 8th and some rocking X-Division action!

Last edited by a moderator:

Castiel

Reaction score
I would love to keep Destination X like it was last year but I don't see it happening. Will we get Aries vs Roode or will we get Aries vs one of the all time X Division greats like AJ? Either way I'm down.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I would love to keep Destination X like it was last year but I don't see it happening. Will we get Aries vs Roode or will we get Aries vs one of the all time X Division greats like AJ? Either way I'm down.

Aries/Roode makes sense given the Aries promo during Slammiversary, but I don't think they'd do Title vs. Title and I'd hate to see the X-Division Championship not defended on the show.

I was just saying somewhere else that there are four Impact broadcasts before this show, which are just enough to hold four three-way qualifiers for a contract match (like last year's show). I would absolutely love if they did that again, and even better, have Joey Ryan be one of the guys in the qualifier who eventually makes it to Destination X, wins the contract and then laughs in Taz's face afterwards. It would be an amazing moment for sure and Ryan would definitely be the guy to pull it off.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Aries/Roode makes sense given the Aries promo during Slammiversary, but I don't think they'd do Title vs. Title and I'd hate to see the X-Division Championship not defended on the show.

I was just saying somewhere else that there are four Impact broadcasts before this show, which are just enough to hold four three-way qualifiers for a contract match (like last year's show). I would absolutely love if they did that again, and even better, have Joey Ryan be one of the guys in the qualifier who eventually makes it to Destination X, wins the contract and then laughs in Taz's face afterwards. It would be an amazing moment for sure and Ryan would definitely be the guy to pull it off.

:this:

If TNA makes that happen, I'll tots forget how awful I thought Slammiversary was.

Honestly it's the only thing that would make sense after how they've handled the angle with Ryan and all of Ryan's tweets.

Can you imagine Taz's reaction as Ryan is first seen out in the IZ again? And then when he WINS?!

Plus Teney could rub it in if he wanted to be an asshole...

asshole! :lol:

Castiel

Reaction score

I would absolutely love for them to the contract match again, and better yet for Joey to take that route!

Aries said he wants to be the main event, that could easily mean he wants to be world champ but he could become the main event by facing someone like AJ in a battle of the X Divisions greatest past and present. He's beaten Joe, he talked about how he's already beaten all the others the X Division has to offer. I think it would work.

Roode's got a title match coming up this week, he can stay on Impact and off the PPV and I'd be fine with it. It worked last year.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Aries had defeated the entire X Division. AJ Styles is the only one left

Postman Dave

Reaction score
So it's looking like Aries/Roode. I like, especially the stip that Aries has to give up the belt to move up a division. It creates two things:

1. A tournament or something to build the PPV around.

2. An insta-feud should Aries fail to win the World title. I can easily see Aries vs. the new champ at BFG, simple but good booking that puts over all involved.

My only concern is whether TNA has a deep enough division to run a tournament, off the top of my head I got:

Zema Ion
Robbie E
Kid Kash
Alex Silva

And at a push (but are in the BFG series and therefore unlikely to be involved):

AJ Styles
Christopher Daniels

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I think Aries might have devalued the X Division title. He's basically become too good for it. When he came to TNA, he won the title in about three months. After that he plowed through the entire X Division. Now he hardly defends the title anymore. He's always in matches with heavyweights. It kind of shows that the X title is only good enough for non world title contenders

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I think Aries might have devalued the X Division title. He's basically become too good for it. When he came to TNA, he won the title in about three months. After that he plowed through the entire X Division. Now he hardly defends the title anymore. He's always in matches with heavyweights. It kind of shows that the X title is only good enough for non world title contenders

Re: the comment in bold, he's defended it three times in the last month.

I sorta agree with the booking though. Only Alex Shelley walked into a feud with Aries over the belt looking like he actually belonged at his level. I'd say it's less Aries fault and more TNA's for not keeping everyone else around him strong though.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'd say it's less Aries fault and more TNA's for not keeping everyone else around him strong though.

Yes, its not Aries who devalued the title, its TNA who did it by showing a lack of commitment to the division itself. You can't blame Aries for that.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Yeah TNA's fault. The point is the title is devalued

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The Linebacker said:
My only concern is whether TNA has a deep enough division to run a tournament, off the top of my head I got:

Zema Ion
Robbie E
Kid Kash
Alex Silva
You can add the following since they're still contracted even though we never see them...

Doug Williams
Mark Haskins

Chris Sabin could always enter, depending on the extent of his most recent injury. That makes seven and since we all know you need 8 to make a tournament, why not use that last spot to get Joey Ryan into the mix somehow? I'd mark for a Ryan/Williams finals.

Plus that gives you seven matches for Destination X and when you add in Aries/Roode plus the inevitable Styles/Angle vs. Kazarian/Daniels match, the whole thing rounds out nicely. They'd even most likely have time for an "X-Division Alumni Gauntlet Match" or something similar, since I need more Shark Boy in my life.

EDIT: Never mind Sabin, he tore his ACL so there's no way he's back in time. I'm at a loss for the last man in the tournament. Any suggestions?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
OP updated with the announced matches (thanks LB) and they've also announced an Ultimate X Match to crown the new X-Division champ. At this point, I'm sure Kid Kash and Zema Ion will be in it. I really hope Doug Williams gets in and gets a chance to run with the title for a bit.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
not entirely sure why Joe/Angle is taking place at DX, but I'm certainly not going to complain! The card is looking stacked already, just as good as last year!

That graphic for AJ/Daniels is sick btw, kudos to TNA's graphics man.

Some info on the X-Tournament.

Three weeks ago on IMPACT WRESTLING, Hulk Hogan gave Austin Aries a choice: To receive a World Title Match at Destination X on July 8, he must relinquish the X-Division Championship. Austin Aries’ counter-proposal to Hogan was “Option C”; that every year at Destination X, the X-Division Champion be given the same World Title Match option. With Austin Aries deciding to take the gamble, a new X-Division champion must be crowned.

Announced this week, the new X-Division Champion will be determined in a one-night tournament at Destination X. This tournament will feature current X-Division stars battling wrestlers from outside IMPACT WRESTLING. Qualifying matches for the outside wrestlers started this past Thursday on IMPACT WRESTLING on Spike TV and continue on the July 5th edition.

At Destination X, eight wrestlers will battle in four single matches in the opening round of the tournament. The four winners will advance to the championship match that evening where the X-Division title will hang in the balance in ULTIMATE X!

Ultimate X is a match unique to the X-Division and features the most death defying moves and moments ever captured inside and above a wrestling ring. Now, with the added value to the X-Division Championship, these brave athletes will do whatever it takes to start their road to destiny; a potential World Championship match at next year’s Destination X!

Current X-Division Stars Entered for Destination X
Zema Ion
Kid Kash
Doug Williams

Outside Wrestlers Qualified for Destination X
Sonjay Dutt
Rashad Cameron

IMPACT WRESTLING

So five matches for the tournament, plus the three already announced matches. One more match and that'll be it IMO.