The WWE Hype Machine will make Sheamus draw?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Okay, seeing alot of People last night was making so many 'dumb' posts about Jericho being a better and bigger draw than Sheamus kinda dumb, so I figured I do this in two parts... One explaining how good the WWE Hype machine is, and another explaining that Sheamus isn't a dead horse, to many of you marks surprise.

One of the prime arguments against Sheamus is the same old bullshit we always see and hear "He's Triple H's Buttbuddy!" "Omg, he's just being feuding with some guy..." So what? The point is Sheamus is around the same age as John Cena and CM Punk, so he's got the years in him yet and he's continually improved through out 2010 & 2011, where he's teased gold constantly and he's had two short runs with the WWE title, so why is there sudden turn on him? Because it wasn't Jericho? Blah, Jericho's feuds don't need the Royal Rumble win to them up, infact that puts WWE creative in a very tough position if they indeed decide to change it to Jericho/ Taker...

So now we got the issue, Sheamus doesn't sell or draw? Well, this where my main reason posting comes into play, they have to months to make Sheamus sell, well with the current Mania card, this won't be an issue because we still have the Rock/ Cena draw, Taker's Draw and the WWE Title draw, so there is space and time to make Sheamus a draw and WWE can do that in a short amount of time, thanks to their best tool, the WWE hype machine!

The WWE Hype Machine I've seen been used alot on other site and generally means WWE's marketing and promoting abilities; through the way they sell guys, their matches, etc... See Jim Ross for example, Jim Ross was pretty darn good at hyping up big time matches and characters with his charisma, and it really made people buyable, but that's only one example of the Hype Machine working.

Now onto the effects of the WWE Hype Machine; One really obvious one is the Brock Lesnar effect, WWE took Brock Lesnar, who debut the night after wrestlemania(?) and by Summerslam he was Main Eventing and went onto the Headline the next Wrestlemania, that inself is proof that the WWE Hype Machine can turn anyone into a top draw in a matter of Months, will that do that with Sheamus? Maybe, but they certainly will push into the Main Event fold and possibly turn him into an above average draw, as I've seen mentioned, he's a great worker, he's good with media-outlets and he's got charisma, all the important tools to be a big time player in WWE.

Probably the best of example of WWE Hype Machine, even Smarks fall for, especially on this forum is the idea Shawn Michaels is the best of all time, when in reality he's not even in the top one hundred of all time... JR & The WWE HM have done a fantastic job of selling Shawn Michaels as this top guy, the best guy ever when their top draw in their lost drawing period ever? What does that say about how strong the hype machine is?

Now here's two examples of how effective the WWE Hype Machine is, so why don't we quit bitching about Sheamus and the entire idea he's not fit to be in a WHC match at Wrestlemania nor did he deserve the Royal Rumble win when there's a lot of proof that WWE can turn him into a top star of this company incredibly quickly if they want; not saying they will but they will make him into a credible threat for the title and solidify him as a Smackdown/ Raw Main Eventer for years to come.

Long live the WWE Hype Machine, even smarks get lurked into it's hype :D!

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
The only real issue I have with this post is that you are kind of seemingly saying you're not allowed to think highly of HBK for example because of the WWE hype machine which is silly to me. The same people who will think HBK is the best of all time can easily not by into the Cena hype of him being one of the best of modern day superstars. If somebody has enjoyed the hell out of HBK's promos or in ring matches enough to think he's one of the best ever then so be it. You're allowed to think what you wanna think and it would be stupid for someone to be like well WWE hyped this guy to be the best ever so I'm not allowed to think he is cause it's the same dumb shit people do with Cena and disregard everything that man has done.

If you don't think HBK is top 100 or whatever that's fine and I respect you're opinion and not gonna just label you a indy/japanese mark just because of that. Not to mention when you take into account that not everyone has seen every single wrestler that has ever lived wrestle so it maybe the best wrestler they have ever seen because they haven't seen this guy or that guy wrestle.

But besides that part I don't really got a problem with what you're saying here.

SAL

Reaction score
Nobody can ever look good unless the promotion allows them to look good. That said, you're oversimplifying it. There are two separate steps. One step: WWE gets behind someone and gives them the full push. The other: the fans accept the guy as a superstar. You assume that WWE can make us love anybody, when history basically proves that untrue. When fans get someone forced down their throat, they turn on that guy. Cena today. Rocky in 1997. HBK in 1996. I mean, even Hogan started getting booed in WCW before he turned heel.

When the flowchart goes: (WWE supports someone -------> Hopefully the fans do!), that's a problem.

When it's (The fans get behind someone ------> WWE recognizes and pushes him appropriately), you have a healthier, more fan-friendly product.

That structure was the entire basis for the Attitude Era. And, I would argue, it's how Sheamus became popular. The "hype machine" had very little to do with it.

Edit: I want to add that you used Brock Lesnar, one of the greatest freaks of nature in the history of pro wrestling, to argue that WWE can turn any old guy into a main-eventer. WWE didn't make us want to watch him kill people. We were eager to see it.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Probably the best of example of WWE Hype Machine, even Smarks fall for, especially on this forum is the idea Shawn Michaels is the best of all time, when in reality he's not even in the top one hundred of all time...

k

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
There's a lot of things wrong with your post actually.

Number one, you say it's stupid that people think Jericho is a bigger draw than Sheamus. Well... he is. Jericho has never been a humongous draw in WWE compared to other stars of his era, but he is most certainly more popular and more over than Sheamus. Despite your obvious dislike for the guy.

Secondly, you claim this "WWE Hype Machine" (whatever that is) can get anyone over but just pushing them hard enough. Pretty certain they already tried this with Sheamus a couple years ago and it didn't end very well for Sheamus. Most of 2011, he really wasn't doing anything. WWE had to back away, repackage him slightly, and now they are trying to give another run at it because clearly WWE thinks very highly of him. WWE also tried to do this with Bobby Lashley, and that guy couldn't get a pop to save his life. WWE can hype whoever they want, if the fans don't like the guy, they aren't going to like the guy. And I'm not sure Sheamus is any different yet.

You also claim that WWE can get anyone over the same way they did Brock just by pushing them..... lol. Have you even seen Brock Lesnar? I'm sure you have. No man that size should be able to do what he does. It was not hard at all to believe that guy could run through the WWE roster. The guy is a drop dead freak of fucking nature. That most certainly does not apply to all superstars, definitely not Sheamus. Sheamus is a big guy, but not even close to a Brock Lesnar.

And finally, you cap off your post with a dig on Shawn Michaels, just blindly insisting the guy has no talent which is laughable. I get the hate for Michaels for all the crap he stirred up backstage in the 90's, but saying he wasn't even a good wrestler is ridiculous. I'll admit he wasn't the greatest draw ever, but please.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Gonna get to the rest of this since I already explained my main issue with the post. While I see what you're saying overall that if they want Sheamus to appear credible they can easily do it with the right booking I will say the idea of it automatically working to make someone a draw is wrong and we have proof in a guy named Alberto Del Rio. They pushed the fuck out of this guy quick to try and make him a big draw to the Latin people and basically wanted him to be the Latin JBL right off the bat. But as we have seen the results didn't pay off because he is one of the worst reactions or lack there of I've ever seen for someone pushed that hard. He alone pretty much kills your theory that pushing them to the moon automatically makes them draws and makes the crowd believe it.

I only agree with the correct thought process that people are wrong in saying that Sheamus can't become a draw and won't be bought into because he is already bought into considering how over he is and his ability.

Deuce

Reaction score
Probably the best of example of WWE Hype Machine, even Smarks fall for, especially on this forum is the idea Shawn Michaels is the best of all time, when in reality he's not even in the top one hundred of all time...

Funny joke EoR.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Ahhh, really one is focusing on the Shawn Michael comment!!! Not what I intended for once -_-.

I really can't be arsed to going into explaining the Shawn Michaels top 100 when it's a legit claim, especially when you consider the wrestling elite, but anyways - the whole point of the thread was to prove that WWE can pretty much make anything happen with their "hype machine" as a few people have pointed out, I simplified to a point but it doesn't take a factors.

Lesnar was a one a life time kinda deal, but people originally paid to see if someone could beat him, that was one of the reasons I watched him originally and it sorta grew... But Sheamus has always seemed to have his foot in the door, so it's still possible for WWE to turn him around as quick as Lesnar, because he is over and does have all the tools Lesnar did, so why make these claims he's not got a chance of drawing or it was a bad decision when WWE have 2 months to build him up, kinda silly.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I only focus mainly on it cause I totally disagree with your point there. You could have said any wrestler from Triple H, AJ Styles whoever. HBK just happens to be a favorite of mine but it's not really about that it just about the fact that you're saying just because the WWE hypes the guy to be this way means you're supposed to not buy into it and there is supposed to be this universal list of guys that you HAVE to think are the best ever which is silly to me. We can disagree and agree all day but in the end it's all opinions and preference. One guy might love this guy cause of his mat wrestling and another might not give a fuck about it. So I'll never agree that you have to universally think this way about a wrestler or that just because WWE says to think this way about this man that means it always works. If that was true we'd all be sitting on the cpu typing in John Cena gear.

On to the other point that I do agree with as I said is the belief that WWE can't build Sheamus up to put him in the position to become a household name in WWE. If done right of course they could. It's possible he could flop but you never know until you give a guy a chance like they have given others chances.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Typical EOR bullshit and indy favoritism. Nothing that needs to be taken seriously. HBK not in the top 100 yeah that's a joke.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The WWE hype machine is the only reason why people even watch pro-wrestling, to think that noone ever needed it is saying that the Babe Ruths of this world didn't need MLB or Jordan didn't need the NBA. Stop the chicanery.

And HBK not being in the top 100 is just plain ludicrous, even with my Hitman bias, I would freely admit that Shawn Michaels is one of the greatest of all time.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Everyone has their own SUBJECTIVE opinion... Some are dumber than others...

Seriously though, what makes HBK so great? That is the question that I've never seen answers... HBK was possibly the most well protected wrestler of all time in WWE ¬_¬... Man you guys rage hard when you read something you don't like.

Hell, I don't even need to name Indy stars to prove the point, "OMG... JAPAN MARK!" seriously, just because some of you don't know your japanese wrestling, doesn't make your opinion right? Just look through history of the entire world of wrestling, compile the names and then see if HBK can fit in.

This is supposed to be about Sheamus becoming a Main Eventer but I bawls that up by upsetting 90% of the Marks.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Shawn Michaels is a legend and one of the greatest ever. It's very clear that he is amazing and can put on the best matches with anyone. I was watching a match with Shawn against Shelton Benjamin and it was down right amazing. Shelton is very underrated and talented, but Shawn was just as good. You can't say that and you said it, so it will cost you. You are the first person ever to say something like that which is just head scratching.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
HBK is a very easy guy to hate on. WWE is certainly guilty of over-praising the guy from time to time, but saying he isn't one of the Top 100 wrestlers ever is just flat out wrong.