The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

good-bad-ugly-quadposter.jpg

A gunslinger who poses as a bounty hunter joins forces with his former “victim”, a no nonsense lunatic to recover a fortune in buried gold. The problem is that there is a third looking for the money, one of the most evil men of the old west. Now their paths are about to cross, right in the middle of the American Civil War, and not all of them will get out alive.

title-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly1.jpg

The final chapter in the “Dollars Trilogy”, 1966’s “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” may just be the greatest Western film ever made. The fact that it was made by an Italian is even more incredible, as one would instantly think of America when the Western genre is brought up. However, Sergio Leone was never a normal guy, so it’s only fitting that the crown jewel of the Western film genre was directed by him. With an incredible script, wonderful performances, beautiful cinematography and an absolutely epic score, “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” is nothing short of a masterpiece of cinema. It completely goes beyond the realm of one genre, transcending all of them to create a near perfect film. A truly remarkable experience, there was never anything quite like this film before and there has never been anything like it since.

RGA_goodbad460.jpg

"There are two kinds of people my friend, me and everyone else."

Sergio Leone returns to write and direct, along with his partner from the last film, “For a Few Dollars More”, Luciano Vincenzoni. They worked in tandem with Age & Scarpelli (the stage name of writers Agenore Incrocci and Furio Scarpelli) a duo best known for satirical comedy. In fact, their particular brand of wit served this film well, as they injected the final piece of the puzzle into Leone and Vincenzoni’s script. With the epic script in place they again turned to Ennio Morricone to score the film and also secured the services of Tonino Delli Colli to photograph the film. After putting all these pieces in place, Leone turned to the two stars of his last film, Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef and asked them to play the roles of the Good character, Blondie (Eastwood) and the Bad character, Angel Eyes (Van Cleef). After they agreed he needed someone to play his Ugly character, and to that end he sought out noted method actor Eli Wallach, who had previously played the main bad guy, Calvera, in the classic John Sturgess film “The Magnificent Seven”, itself an inspiration for Leone. He also cast good supporting actors Luigi Pistilli and Aldo Giuffre to fill out the meatier support roles in the film.

GoodBlondie1.jpg

"The Good...."

To begin with, the three main characters are all incredibly well thought out and written. Eastwood’s Blondie is his typical “man with no name” all business and quiet in delivery. Obviously Eastwood was very familiar with this character by now, having played him twice in the past two years, and of course was also comfortable working with Leone. It certainly shows, as he gives his best performance to date and handles each of his scenes well, particularly when interacting with Wallach at the beginning. He carries a calm and quiet demeanour throughout the film, something that serves his character very well. Blondie has a remarkable intelligence to him, and seems to be a man who is able to see three or four steps ahead of his foes, particularly Wallach. While he is the hero of this film and the prototypical good guy, he never seems to be clichéd, which is remarkable considering the ease with which this could have happened. It helped to be working with such a great director and supporting cast, but Eastwood was already showing the flashes of brilliance that he would carry with him into his later career as both an actor and a director. His classic line, “such ingratitude after all the times I’ve saved your life” when abandoning Wallach is wonderful in its delivery and really sums up his character well here.

angeleyescleef.jpg

"The Bad...."

Of course you can’t have the Good without the Bad, and man is the Bad here as bad as can be. Lee Van Cleef had already made a name for himself playing villains (again I’d like to point out that it’s the eyes) and it came as something of a shock to see him playing a hero in the previous year’s “For a Few Dollars More”. Of course that all changed when Leone cast him as Angel Eyes (SEE, I told you it was the eyes) and the performance he gives in this film is easily his best. Van Cleef plays Angel Eyes as the ultimate opportunistic bad guy, always willing to profit off of the misfortunes of others. Again he, like Eastwood, doesn’t feel the need to speak loudly, preferring to be very quiet in his delivery. This is particularly effective in his introductory scene, where he shakes information out of a man simply by mentioning that he has a nice family. He doesn’t have to tell the man that he intends to kill his family if he doesn’t tell him what he wants to know, it is simply implied. That is real power, and Van Cleef pulls it off perfectly. His rule about always following his job through to the letter is another thing that is really awesome about this bad guy. He will stop at nothing to succeed, because that is what he is being paid for. His defining moment comes early when he executes his former employer simply because his previous victim paid him to do so. His line about it being a pity is an all-time classic, as is his incredibly evil laugh after doing so and before blowing out a candle. Van Cleef as Angel Eyes could quite possibly be the greatest villain of all time and certainly is the best one in any Western film ever.

GoodTucoBegraafplaats.jpg

"and the Ugly...."

Finally, the Ugly, the character that really helps to keep the entire film together, is played with gusto by Eli Wallach, who clearly was having a great time with the part. His character, full name Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez (no, I did not make that up!) is obviously inserted into the film for comic relief, yet Wallach plays the part so well that he transcends that typical sidekick role and becomes a completely memorable character in his own right. From his opening moments, crashing through a window while still eating a turkey leg to his incredible display of fake emotions when attempting to get some information out of a sick Eastwood, Wallach absolutely steals every scene he is in. It’s not always comedy with him either, he does bear an emotion about him that gives us a lot of insight into his character, particularly in a challenging scene where he confronts his brother, a priest (played by Pistilli) about their past history. Of course he also gets a lot of comedic time and pretty much has the majority of the great lines in the script, including the brilliant line “if you have to shoot, shoot don’t talk” after gunning down a man who had been telling him the story of his ordeal in finding him. He also frequently makes mention of the two different kinds of people that there are in the world, basically him and the rest of society. The “ugly” definition attached to him has nothing to do with his looks, more his style and the way that he carries himself. He cannot be defined by such simple terms as good and bad, he simply is himself, and that makes him one of the all-time great characters in any film.

good-bad-ugly-showdown-standoff-sad-hill-news.jpg

"The ultimate showdown."

As far as the film itself goes, it is a sweeping and majestic spectacle in every sense of the word. From the opening title credits featuring a cannon firing the names of the cast and crew onto the screen and the first notes of perhaps Morricone’s most famous soundtrack, it is clear that we are in for a real treat. That is just the beginning, as we are instantly drawn into the film with some wonderfully inventive cinematography right from the start. The pacing here is brilliant and Leone easily could have lost control of the film, considering all that is going on. He deftly handles the adventures of the three characters with the ease of a professional and also manages to throw the Civil War into the mix perfectly. The sub-plot about the destruction of the bridge (which is sometimes edited out of television releases) is extremely well done and just another great moment in a film full of them. In fact, the entire Civil War atmosphere also provides us with another great comedic moment involving Blondie and Tuco thinking they have come across allies simply because of the colour of their clothing. I cannot say any more because if you haven’t seen it you really haven’t lived, and I just don’t want to disappoint you by giving away all the great things in this film. I do want to mention that the final showdown scene, set to Morricone’s classic “The Ecstasy of Gold” *(which if I am not mistaken still opens every Metallica show) is the single best scene in any Western ever and I am not exaggerating when I say that it alone should be required viewing for film students everywhere.

images-2.jpg

"Oh no, not THIS again!"

The film was initially released to critical indifference, and many called it out for being too violent (though it is really not) though it did well at the box office, earning over $19 million on a small $1.2 million budget. It wasn’t until years later that the film became widely regarded as perhaps one of the best ever made, and many critics have re-assessed their original opinions of it over the years. None other than Quentin Tarantino himself stated in a 2002 issue of Sight & Sound magazine that it was the best-directed film of all time. As I said before it is simply a masterpiece that deserves to be seen by anyone who even remotely considers themselves a film fan. I am not overstating the importance of this film enough; it is that good and that inspiring. Never before have 161 minutes seemed so perfect and I doubt they ever will. For this, and all of the things mentioned above, I can do nothing more than give this film my highest possible score, as it is so richly deserved. 10/10.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Spot on. I love the movie. Been forever since I seen it though. You pretty much hit everything great about the movie. Great review as usual.

Sorry, that was the short version of my comments. My head is still swimming.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Thanks man, the comments are appreciated as always. Is your head swimming because of the awesomeness of the review or because of some other reason?

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Other reasons. From being happy I got a job, to now worrying about daycare lol

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Ahh, I see, well congratulations again but it doesn't get you off the hook for your comments! Be sure to watch for tomorrow's review...a Western from the 80's that is winning in more ways than one.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Young Guns

l_137917_0096487_714b13ea.jpg

John Tunstall is a frontier cattle merchant who chooses to hire vagrants and vagabonds in the hopes that he will be able to educate and culture them. Into his world comes one William H. Bonney, better known as Billy the Kid. After Tunstall is murdered by members of a rival faction, Bonney takes it upon himself to lead the other boys in Tunstall’s crew, known as the “regulators†on a mission for revenge. However will they be able to stop those responsible before they themselves are killed?

Still-from-Young-Guns-198-001.jpg

"Them brat packers are a bunch of young guns."

1988’s Young Guns is a historical, fact-based Western with an edge all its own. Telling the tale of Billy the Kid is no easy task, and indeed this film stands as the best version of his story and the most accurate. Director Christopher Cain chose a veritable who’s who of young and old talent for this film, and all of the performances come across great. In a decade not known for its great Western’s, Young Guns certainly stands out among the crowd. That is not to say it is simply good because it has little to no competition, it is simply good because everyone involved worked to make it so. While it may not be up there in the pantheon of all-time great Western films, it nevertheless has a lot to offer even the casual filmgoer and certainly serves as a good introduction to the genre.

Yong-Guns-young-guns-2403230-800-450.jpg

"Emilio Estevez, brother of a madman."

Directed by Christopher Cain (who also helmed the under-rated Jim Belushi film “The Principal†but is perhaps best known for fathering former Superman actor Dean Cain) and written by John Fusco (wrote the awesome Ralph Macchio film “Crossroads†as well as the criminally under-seen Val Kilmer film “Thunderheart), the plan here was to use the hot young actors of the day to introduce the Western genre to a whole new audience. To this end it was a rousing success, as the film did quite well at the box office and a lot of that has to be due to the inspired casting choices. Starting with the “Tiger Blood†brothers, Emilio Estevez (responsible one with normal DNA) and Charlie Sheen (psychotic one with Adonis DNA), they then added hot properties Kiefer Sutherland (son of Donald and the real star of “Stand by Meâ€) and Lou Diamond Phillips (fresh off his star-making performance in La Bamba and way before he joined the “Whatever Happened To?†club). Rounding out the cast of the Regulators were Casey Siemaszko played 3D in “Back to the Futureâ€) and Dermot Mulroney (under-rated actor from films like “Survival Questâ€), who bring a special charm to their roles as support to the big stars. Some more established actors were needed to lend credibility to the project, so the filmmakers went out and secured the services of Terrence Stamp, Jack Palance and Terry O’Quinn, three actors who were well known for making the most out of any parts they took.

YoungGuns36.jpg

"Jack Bauer's old west relative, Doc Bauer."

The dynamic between the Regulators is great, and all of the characters seem to have great chemistry with each other. Pretty much every type of personality is represented here and represented well. We have the reckless Bonney, played with gusto by Estevez, the introspective Doc (Sutherland), the wild Indian Chavez (Phillips), the leader Richard (Sheen), the cowardly Charley (Siemaszko) and the wild and crazy Dirty Steve (Mulroney). While each character has a distinct and unique personality, none ever seem to come into conflict with each other from an acting standpoint. Indeed all the parties above seemed to gel together to form a cohesive unit, remarkable considering the age of those involved. They could very easily have let things get out of hand, all trying to out-do each other, yet that does not happen. Of particular note is the great relationship between Dirty Steve and Chavez and how it grows throughout the film. I also found the relationship between Sheen and Estevez to be quite good. Something else interesting here is how almost all of the characters experience some form of growth in the film, from Bonney learning that actions come with responsibility to Charley learning courage in the face of certain death, it really is a sight to see. In fact, I can’t praise the work of these actors enough, as they all do a really great and convincing job.

b309ec5e0e6702602e9d441ad3d5b196.png

"You can tell I'm an a$$hole just by looking at me but I wear all black to make it official."

The supporting cast is stellar as well, led of course by a wonderfully vicious Jack Palance (who also ordered Jack Napier to break into Axis Chemicals a year later, therby creating The Joker V1) as Lawrence Murphy. Palance has that swagger that just pisses you off and you totally want to see him get blown away by the end of the film. Terrence Stamp (don’t screw with this guy, if you’ve seen “The Limey†you know what I’m talking about) brings his talents to the screen as Tunstall, the ill-fated mentor of the boys. Stamp does a great job in the limited screen time he has and really comes across as a likeable father figure. We care about him and about his boys; because he was able to make us do so in about 15 minutes, all the more reason that his early death becomes very difficult to bear. This is the mark of an excellent actor working at the top of his game, and Stamp should be commended on his brief yet memorable performance here. Terry O’Quinn (sometimes a killer step-father, sometimes a tough as nails man of faith marooned on an island but ALWAYS a freaking bad-ass actor) lends some more support as Alex McSween, a friend and partner of Tunstall’s who the boys turn to for help when the going gets really rough.

images-3.jpg

"Terrence Stamp may look nice, but he can f*ck your sh*t up!"

As far as the action goes, there is a lot, but it all serves its purpose and the film just runs through its 107 minutes at an incredibly brisk pace. In researching the history of Billy the Kid I find that the majority of the events that take place in this film are grounded in reality, though many of them are obviously sensationalized for the big screen. That doesn’t detract from the film for a moment though, and even noted Western Historian Dr. Paul Hutton has called it the most historically accurate of all Billy the Kid films. There is a lot here to take in and most of it is great but some of the best moments include Billy’s introduction, the shootout with Buckshot Roberts (including a great death scene from one of the characters…see, no spoilers here) and of course the finale, which I consider to be one of the best action sequences in any Western, even with the partial overuse of slow-motion in it. There are a lot of other wonderful moments as well; including a great scene where Bonney reads a newspaper and shows that he is not just a killer, but an intellect as well. The only real issue I had with the film was the subplot involving Sutherland’s character Doc and Murphy’s Chinese “doll†or “China†as Murphy refers to her as. I felt that it was unnecessary yet completely understood the reason why it was included; you have to try and appeal to everyone after all. Finally, I thought the closing moments of the film were fantastic, particularly Sutherland’s final narration about the future events and the story of the inscription chiseled into Bonney’s grave, which is a true one by the way.

young_guns_1988_600x400_606260.jpg

"Pop goes the Estevez?"

The film opened at number one at the box office, eventually earning over $44 million on a budget of about $13 million, no small feat for a Western film in the 1980’s. Of course as I mentioned above, the star power attached had a lot to do with that, though the critics were fairly kind to it as well. At the end of the day it is a decent Western with some great performances, some scenes that will stick with you long after you watch it and a very historically accurate film as well. All of these things should be enough for you to go check it out, it’s no “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly†but then again what Western could ever possibly hope to be that? Regardless of its place in the overall mosaic of Western films, it is a great movie in its own right and well worth a watch or two. 7.5/10.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

l_241527_fc33a736.jpg

Young Harry Potter lives a horrible life as basically nothing more than a slave to his overbearing Aunt and Uncle. However, he is destined for much greater things, as he soon discovers that he is a wizard, one with a famous family no less. Swept away from his mundane life and taken to Hogwart’s School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry discovers a world completely foreign to him. While he is able to make friends easily due to the reputation of the Potter name, some are only too quick to look at him as an enemy, and Harry will soon come to the realization that not everyone in the school can be trusted.

HP1.jpg

In each of us, there exists a small part that loves magic. In fact, anyone who says they don't like magic is a liar and they're boring. One person who definitely likes magic is J.K. Rowling, the British author who wrote the best selling series of Harry Potter novels on which the films we are about to begin reviewing are based. Yes indeed, magic would prove to be quite a good thing for her, as she took this awkward wizard character and turned him into millions of dollars in publishing deals and merchandise money. Of course once the series became popular it was inevitable that it would be turned into a film franchise, and sure enough the good folks at Warner Brothers quickly snatched up the rights. Turning to a well known director of children’s films and an extremely strong screenwriter, they hoped to quickly draw interest into the film version in order to create what is known as a “tent pole†franchise. While it may have started out, much like Harry Potter himself, with humble beginnings, when all was said and done the franchise would stand as the highest grossing in the history of cinema. More than that, it would prove that the concept of magic will always be one that fascinates and interests millions of people all over the world. Starting out as children’s fare, the story would eventually progress into more adult-oriented themes, just as the characters within progressed from children to young adults. Quite simply put, the template for a modern film franchise is found within the Harry Potter films, and I firmly believe they will stand the test of time as classic tales for people of all ages to enjoy for years to come.

HP5.jpg

"Wow, the cast is REALLY young!"

Directed by Chris Columbus (who previously directed 80’s classic Adventures in Babysitting and wrote Gremlins AND The Goonies) and written by Steve Kloves (who had written The Fabulous Baker Boys and Wonder Boys), the film is designed to set up the ones that would follow it, and so cannot be looked at in the same light as the rest. Obviously there is a feeling out process of sorts in any new franchise and while that generally tends to be an issue when comparing them to the films that follow it, that is not the case here. Right from the beginning, Columbus and Kloves manage to craft an incredibly rich and detailed world, paying attention to every possible detail. Columbus has always been a serviceable director who understands how to pace a film in order to keep younger audiences interested, so clearly he was an inspired choice to help start the franchise off on the right foot. Here he deftly handles all the source material given to him with relative ease and never allows the film to feel like its dragging despite its longer than usual runtime (for a kids movie that is). Kloves takes hardly any liberties with Rowling’s original story (yep, I’ve read it) and manages to jam as much into his script as possible while still allowing it to remain completely and totally coherent. He writes the characters well and certainly manages to give as many of them as possible ample opportunity to shine. Beyond the importance of the director and writer however, was the cast, as it had to be pitch perfect considering they were planning on parlaying this one film into several profitable sequels. Luckily this wasn’t an issue, as a near flawless group of actors and actresses were assembled for the various roles that this film required.

HP3.jpg

"Attack of the GINGER!!!!"

Young Daniel Radcliffe was cast as Harry Potter and quickly became the envy of every young boy in the world (by this point the books had already become a phenomenon). Radcliffe isn’t the worlds greatest child actor, but he certainly does a great job with the role here, carrying just the right amount of fascination and wonder that one in his position should have. Rupert Grint was cast as Ronald Weasley, the boy who quickly becomes Potter’s best friend, and is also serviceable if not spectacular. Emma Watson portrays Hermione Granger, another friend and ally of Potter and Weasley, and actually shows a little more poise in her acting than both Radcliffe and Grint combined. Another young actor who impresses in this film is Tom Felton, as Draco Malfoy, a character you can just tell you’re going to develop an intense hatred for rather quickly. The bad guy is always more interesting, so Felton lucked out, but he shows a particular talent for delivery that serves him well both here and in future instalments of the series. As the subject matter was a little offbeat, the producers also realize that some well known and highly regarded actors would be required to draw in the audience. Casting Richard Harris, John Hurt and Alan Rickman would prove to be an inspired choice, as not only did each bring a lot to their roles but also managed to lend the film a certain air of legitimacy right off the bat. Rickman in particular is fantastic as Severus Snape and really manages to steal every scene he's in. Robbie Coltrane is perfect as Hagrid and there's even cameo appearances from Verne Troyer (Mini Me) and Warwick Davis (Leprechaun, "Wicket" the Ewok) as a pair of goblins, which instantly makes the film better because hey, little people rule, whether they're goblins or whether they're getting squashed by King Kong Bundy!

HP4.jpg

"I liked this scene better when it was in Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Initially I remembered this film as being a little childish and juvenile, but of course its all different once you look at it as the first part in a series. A lot of things are set up for later films here, and though they aren't always overt, they are there nonetheless. While that may have turned me off in the past, I now find myself enjoying it a whole lot more. There's a lot to love here, particularly if you're a kid, but I honestly believe that even the elderly could find themselves having a good time watching the film. There's fun (The Sorting Hat), excitement (Quidditch), fighting (Troll in the bathroom) and one hell of an awesome game of chess. More than just the visual aspect works in this film though, the dialogue is fantastic. I thought it would have been difficult to create realistic sounding conversations in a world dominated by words like "muggles" but at no time did I notice it becoming a distraction in the film. While the topics of conversation do tend to stray towards the outrageous, the dialogue itself is incredibly grounded. That makes for a wonderful experience, particularly for those who pay close attention to things like that.

HP6.jpg

"Tell me you wouldn't want to do this?"

If I had any real complaints at all about this film it would be that they didn't do as good a job portraying the anxiety that the Harry Potter character feels in the novel. Radcliffe is remarkably subdued in his performance, but I would have enjoyed just a touch of the serious to him, though to be fair he certainly develops it over the course of the films. That, and a weak middle act are the only things that are bothering. Luckily the middle act is overshadowed by both the first and final ones, so it doesn't come across as annoying in the slightest. I realize that the filmmakers were trying to cram as much in as possible while still staying coherent, so I am willing to forgive some of the obvious exposition that happens. The first time I saw this film, I thought it was decent as an escape, but nothing that I really planned on going back to. In fact, I hadn't gone back to it until now, but having seen the rest of the series I can honestly say that this film was a lot better than I thought it was initially. It does a splendid job entertaining its audience while creating an entire world and sowing the seeds for the future movies. It's not perfect, but hey, nobody expected it to be, and while it has flaws, none of them affect your enjoyment of the film in the slightest.

HP2.jpg

"The fan mail just keeps on coming!"

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (later re-titled The Sorcerer's Stone) was shot on a budget of $125 million and grossed over $974 million at the box office, staggering numbers to be sure. It seems Potter Mania was running wild, and everybody wanted to get in on the action. While its not as strong as some of the later films, it is a real fun time and well worth watching again. If they wanted to begin the franchise with a bang, they succeeded, and I couldn't imagine a better beginning than this one. So if you still haven't gotten into Harry Potter for whatever reason, do yourself a favour and check this movie out. I used to laugh at people who liked it, but I soon understood why they did, and I will happily admit that I was wrong in that opinion. Once you allow yourself to be immersed into the world of Potter, you'll have a hard time understanding how you got along without it, and that's saying something considering its supposed to be harmless entertainment for children. 7.5/10.

HP7.jpg

"They're all waiting patiently for my Chamber of Secrets review tomorrow."

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

l_295297_6be2c5d1.jpg

After spending an awful summer with his overbearing muggle relatives, Harry Potter is warned by Dobbie the House Elf not to return to Hogwarts. Harry ignores this warning and soon finds himself back at the school, along with his friends Ron Weasely and Hermione Granger. However there is sinister business afoot, as several students begin turning up petrified. When Hermione suffers a similar fate, Ron and Harry take it upon themselves to discover the mystery of the Chamber of Secrets in an attempt to save her and the others.

HP21.jpg

After Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone proved to be a massive hit, Warner Brothers immediately set to work creating the next chapter in the franchise. They also turned to the same filmmaking team that had headed up the first one in an attempt to establish some form of continuity. This time around, the seeds would be sown for future stories and new characters both good and bad would be introduced. At the same time, the film still attempted to focus on the growth of the three central characters and their interpersonal relationships. Unfortunately, while this does lead to a lot of good things happening in the film, it also leads to a lot of times where one feels they are being inundated with way too much information. It also seems that the pacing, which was perfectly deliberate in the previous film, has become slightly cluttered. This leads to the film feeling disjointed at times and though the particular seeds sown here are important for the future films, this film itself feels more like filler than an actual Harry Potter movie. That's not always a bad thing, because even in the filler there's a lot of cool stuff. However the cool stuff isn't enough to change my earlier thoughts that the Chamber of Secrets, while good, is the weakest entry in the franchise.

HP22.jpg

"You don't stand a ghost of a chance Potter...get it?"

Once again directed by Chris Columbus and written by Steve Kloves, the film really feels like it wants to be over indulgent at all times. Columbus deftly handled multiple story arcs in the first film but here he seems to want to spend more time on things that aren't really worth the effort. He also seems to enjoy shooting long special effects sequences, which don't always work well as we'll talk about in a moment. As I mentioned above, his pacing is all over the place with this film, and at times I felt it was edited by a spastic baby. There's several scenes that don't really go anywhere, odd choices for cuts and the middle act is noticeably weak here, even more so than in the first film. Kloves script is strong when it has to be (foreshadowing future events), cute when it wants to be (Dobbie makes for a nice kid-friendly character) and tough when it needs to be (confrontation between Potter and Riddle). However, he too feels the need to indulge himself a little bit, and in doing so manages to come up with some completely inane sequences. I get that he's basing his screenplay on a novel, but I think eliminating some things (Hermione turning into a cat and the screaming Mandrake roots quickly come to mind) would have served the film well. I still enjoyed them, but unfortunately I also found a lot of them to be completely and totally designed to entertain small children. That's not always a plus for me, but its something I'm willing to live with simply due to the incredible work from the actors in this film.

HP26.jpg

"Excuse me. Have you seen my douche?"

The trio of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson have settled nicely into their characters, and here they all do a great job portraying their individual personas. Grint in particular seems to have really stepped up his game from the first film and brings a lot to the table in the role of bumbling but well intentioned Ron Weasely. Richard Harris and Robbie Coltrane are great as Dumbledore and Hagrid while veteran Maggie Smith also has a chance to shine as Minerva McGonagall. Once again Alan Rickman manages to steal the show as Severus Snape and its a real treat to watch him ply his craft the way that only he can. Seriously, how many other actors could deliver a line like ""You were seen by no less than seven Muggles" and make it sound totally serious and completely believable? Besides Rickman's strong performance, we also get a couple of standout efforts from Kenneth Branagh (as a not so reliable celebrity magician) and Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy (Draco's father and hey, Tom Felton is nice and hateable in this film as well). In fact, Lucius has one of my favourite moments in the film where he describes the Weasely's as having "vacant expressions". As with the first film, the cast is so top notch that it really manages to distract you from a lot of the weaker elements of the film, and that's definitely a good thing.

HP24.jpg

"We'll be having this little fellow for dinner."

As far as what I think those weak elements are, I can quickly sum them up as being an over-reliance on grandiose special effects sequences and a middle act that's agonizingly long at times. While I appreciate the effort that went into creating a CGI flying car, I really didn't need to see it featured in more than one scene and certainly in no more than two. What I got instead was a constant reminder of why CGI wasn't that good in 2002, because that car looks totally awful! While I do complain about the overuse of the car, I did enjoy the spiders, the animation of the ghosts throughout Hogwarts (particularly Moaning Myrtle) and the monster at the end (I'll save it for those who haven't seen the film yet). As far as the meandering middle act goes, it was a little annoying to say the least. There were at least two times during this portion of the film that I wanted to fast forward, because I can only handle so much pointless exposition. Telling the story and setting up future events does not require every character to constantly be long winded and also talk so slowly. I really think Columbus should have told his actors to perk themselves up a bit and not be so dramatic. It's not like they're attempting to do Shakespeare, the film is simply supposed to entertain, and at times it seems like its trying to avoid that and become some high drama piece instead. To be honest, it doesn't work a lot of the time and I feel the film suffers a little for it.

HP25.jpg

"Legolas got all the looks in the family."

However, outside of those issues (and also a complaint I had about the Quidditch scene being a little too long) there certainly is a lot to love here. First and foremost, I hated that annoying Colin character the second that he snapped Harry's picture with his annoyingly "retro" camera. In fact, I hated him so much that I cackled with glee when he was petrified. Yes folks, one of my favourite moments in this film comes from seeing an annoying character turned to stone. Got a problem with that? Didn't think so. Next up, I have to say I loved the screaming letter that Ron's mom sent to him. Tell me you wouldn't be sending those to every single person you know just to **** them off! I know I would, but then again I'm a little insane so maybe its just me? As with the first film, the opening act is great, particularly Harry's annoying relatives, and the final act somewhat redeems the slow and tedious middle portion. As I said earlier, Harry's confrontation with Tom Riddle is a fantastic moment of writing and acting, while I also appreciated the subtle little nods to things like Azkaban prison and the fact that the class was working on a cure for petrification before people started being petrified. So even though the middle of the film did have a tendency to drag on, it didn't turn out all bad in the slightest. However as I say, its clear to me that this film is just a little weaker than its predecessor, and once we begin getting into the great ones its easy to make the claim that its the weakest of them all.

HP23.jpg

"I remember my first centerfold too."

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was shot on a budget of $100 million and pulled in nearly $879 million in worldwide box office receipts. Never mind my cackling when Colin was petrified, the executives at Warner Brothers must have been laughing all the way to the bank. While it didn't gross quite as much as its predecessor, the numbers were staggering enough to ensure that there would indeed be more Harry Potter coming along in short order. With the seeds for most of the main story now set, the prospect of each film becoming better than the next seemed likely. We'll wait to see how that turns out starting tomorrow but for now I'd like to give Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets a 6.5/10 and mention that even though the score is low, its still important to watch the film as there is a lot of information in it that will become important later on. So yeah, even though I consider it the worst one in the series, its not bad enough to warrant any real hate from me. See you all tomorrow when we add yet another incredible actor to the mix!

HP27.jpg

​"Gotta' fly now, be back tomorrow for The Prisoner of Azkaban."

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

l_304141_ff8d12f5.jpg

After inflating his Uncle's sister, Harry Potter is quickly whisked back to Hogwarts to begin his third year at the school. However, he soon learns that a dangerous criminal and Voldemort's trusted aide Sirius Black has escaped from the Azkaban prison and wants to kill Harry to avenge the Dark Lord. To worsen the conditions for Harry, vile creatures called Dementors are appointed to guard the school gates and inexplicably happen to have the most horrible effect on him. With danger coming at him from all sides, will Harry be able to outwit Black and the Dementors or will he suffer a similar fate to that of his parents?

HP31.jpg

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets had done a decent job continuing the franchise, but the producers and executives at Warner Brothers believed that the time was ripe to take the series out a new door. While they were certainly happy with the somewhat whimsical nature of the first two films, they realized that their story was about to take a dark twist. To this end they decided to bring a new director on board, one who would prove to be more than capable of handling the more adult oriented subject matter. The result was a marked improvement over the previous two films, and in fact one can say that The Prisoner of Azkaban is the first truly great Harry Potter film. Perhaps it was the darkening themes or the performances from everyone involved, or maybe it was just good old fashioned luck. Either way, this film does a lot to reinvigorate interest in the franchise that may have been slightly waning after the plodding Chamber of Secrets. One thing's for sure, once you see The Prisoner of Azkaban, you'll soon realize that all bets are off when it comes to the franchise...and that is a great thing indeed.

HP32.jpg

"Something wicked this way comes..."

Directed by Alfonso Cuaron (who had previously done the hilarious film Y Tu Mama Tambien and would go on to direct the instant classic Children of Men) and once again written by Steve Kloves, the film starts the franchise down the dark and dreary path that it would take for its duration. Cuaron is a top notch filmmaker and really knows how to pace his work properly. Here he goes right for the jugular, forcing the audience to jump on board the wild train ride that this film provides. Even when he's shooting subtle sequences of intrigue, Cuaron manages to keep the audience interested in everything that's happening, and the result is a film that feels much more cohesive than The Chamber of Secrets. Kloves turns in a superb effort on the screenplay here, really adding some gritty dialogue to the affair. Of course there's the usual magic talk and funny business, but at the same time there's more than enough great exchanges to distract from it. Kloves also does a great job working with the new characters that are introduced in this film, and manages to give the actors playing them ample opportunity to perform to the best of their abilities.

HP37.jpg

"Scream it for me GARY!!!!"

Daniel Radcliffe is his usual solid self here, but he's managed to learn a lot about portraying emotion in his facial expressions by this point. This emotion serves him well when dealing with the torturing effect the Dementor's have on him, as it is easy to feel the pain he is going through as they attack him. Rupert Grint and Emma Watson return as Ron and Hermione, and also do their usual solid work in support of Radcliffe's lead performance. Sadly, the great Richard Harris passed away before filming, so the character of Dumbledore is replaced by Michael Gambon, though you'd hardly notice. Gambon is as solid a replacement as any, and his stage presence is great in this film. Speaking of presence, Alan Rickman is back to steal the show as Severus Snape, and this time he gets even more of an opportunity. Unfortunately for him, he's actually overshadowed by the performance of Mr. Chameleon himself, Gary Oldman, who here turns up as Sirius Black. Oldman, like Rickman, is one of the absolute top actors in the world today, and his work as Black is fantastic. He really makes you interested in the character right from the get go and does a tremendous job making a totally unbelievable character seem completely real. Robbie Coltrane is once again awesome as Hagrid and I'd like to give a special shout out to Timothy Spall, who plays the wicked Peter Pettigrew in a totally over the top performance.

HP36.jpg

"Don't screw with me or I'll put a picture of your penis on the internet. Oh, never mind."

One thing that really separates this film from its predecessors is how dark it feels. Right from the beginning we are treated to minor glimpses of the famous Warner Brothers logo before we come upon Harry in his house at night. Even Harry himself seems darker, and while I appreciate the fact that inflating his relative is meant to be funny it also shows he's got a bit of a mean streak to him as well. Then again she had just insinuated his dad was a drunk and his mom was a bitch so yeah, I'd probably have done worse than inflating her! Even the Quidditch match is cloaked in a dark and dreary, rain soaked setting. It's almost as if Cuaron wanted to make sure people realized that this was HIS film as opposed to just another in a series. I have to say that I for one really enjoyed the personal touch he seems to have put on the film, because it really does seem a little different than all the others. He also does a great job establishing the sense of impending doom that will become more prevalent later on in the series. In this film, I have the feeling that while there might NOT be danger around every corner, there most certainly COULD be. That alone puts this one above the previous two entries, because I never felt that way while watching them. I'd say that's a real credit to Cuaron's abilities as a filmmaker, but this is the same guy who directed Children of Men, so his talents aren't in question.

HP35.jpg

"I believe I can fly...."

For the first time I didn't really take issue with the special effects either, and while they are still not incredible they are light years ahead of those in The Chamber of Secrets. The aunt inflation was a nice touch and didn't go on for too long, while I also loved taking the animated images thing out a new door with Sirius Black's crazy poster. The Dementors are also well rendered though I kept having flashbacks to The Lord of the Rings while I was watching them. There's also a werewolf transformation that's nicely done and I'm sure it scared the crap out of some of the kids that went to see it in the theatre. Hey, when you can freak out kids you've got a winner on your hands, am I right or am I right? The one thing that impressed me here in regards to the effects was how sparingly they were used. Instead of shoving them down our throats multiple times they are used in a more subtle fashion, which allows the story to take precedence. Letting the viewer become engrossed in the story in a much more personal way makes the next film in the series seem more important and therefore builds more anticipation. I'd say this was perhaps the most perfect thing the producers could have hoped for, as the series had finally established the tone and feel it would take while also becoming must-see entertainment. Harry Potter had arrived, and while it took three films for that to happen, it was definitely worth the wait.

HP33.jpg

"Aooo...werewolves of Hogwarts."

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was shot on a budget of $130 million and made nearly $800 million during its release, once again amazing numbers. It also gave people a taste of what was to come while turning the series from fun and family friendly to dark and brooding. That's no small feat considering the first two had seemed corny at times and childish at others. No more, as Cuaron and company made sure this film will be remembered as the one which gave notice that Harry Potter was not just for kids. It's not surprising that I originally got into the films after viewing this one, and I still prefer to watch it over many of the others. It is an excellent stand alone story and there's just something about it that "feels" different. I love that, and I'm sure you will too. 8/10.

HP34.jpg

​"Look at them line up for The Goblet of Fire review, too bad they'll have to wait until tomorrow."

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

l_128018_0330373_cd34adbf.jpg

Just before his fourth year at Hogwarts, Harry Potter and his friends attend the Quidditch World Cup, but the event is marred by an attack from individuals dressed as Death Eaters. This causes the magic community to go into a frenzy trying to figure out what happened. At the same time, the Triwizard tournament is set to take place at Hogwarts, and Harry finds himself entered. But will he be able to survive the dangerous games in store for him?

HP41.jpg

After darkening things up considerably in The Prisoner of Azkaban, the stage was now set for the main part of the Harry Potter tale to begin in earnest. The next film in the series, The Goblet of Fire, would prove to be an important entry, bringing back Harry's nemesis, Lord Voldemort, while also continuing to emphasize the growth of the main characters. This time they would be experiencing the awkwardness of social situations and feelings of jealousy and mistrust. In fact, there's an air of mistrust throughout the film, along with that sense of impending doom established so well in The Prisoner of Azkaban. Unfortunately Alfonso Cuaron could not return to make this film, but the producers found a suitable replacement in well known British director Mike Newell. When looking at this film compared to its predecessor, its easy to say that this one definitely feels more like a Potter movie than that one did. There's action, adventure, mystery and drama, everything one could want out of a film. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire can be seen as the first chapter in the main Harry Potter story, but it, like The Prisoner of Azkaban, stands on its own as a fantastic piece of pure entertainment.

HP43-1.jpg

"Now that's what I call a bong!"

Newell directed while Steve Kloves once again wrote the screenplay. I think at this point its important to note how good it was to have Kloves handling the writing on all the films up to this one. He clearly knows the characters well, and so writes them accordingly. While they do have some maudlin dialogue from time to time, none of it comes across as unrealistic. Kloves talent is in understanding the context of the world his characters inhabit, and in doing so he turns out his best script yet. Newell's direction is deliberate, but that's a strong part of his success in the field so it greatly helps this film move along properly. Considering the amount of action going on here (easily more than in any of the films to this point) it could have turned out a somewhat cluttered mess. Luckily Newell was up to the job and keeps everything really tight, never allowing the film to go off on tangents. He also had to work with even more characters being added to the mix, though to his fortune, the actors brought in to work on this film were all up to the challenge.

HP46.jpg

"Oh my aching head...and nose."

The trio of Radcliffe, Watson and Grint don't seem like they're acting as friends, which is probably because by this point they actually were friends in real life. This really helps lend more importance to the characters, as we identify with them much like they identify with each other. For the first time in the series, I feel we can actually connect with each of them, which of course makes us invest more of our time and effort into them as well. Outside of the three main actors, everyone else here from the previous films are their usual strong selves. Rickman is delectably snide as Severus Snape and has a funny moment where he continually smacks Potter and Weasely for talking. Michael Gambon and Robbie Coltrane lend their talents to the affair as well, and Coltrane in particular makes a really good showing in this film as his character Hagrid falls in love with a really, really tall woman. Seriously, she's tall, though that's alright because she brings lots of hot students with her. David Tennant pops up in a great supporting role while Voldemort himself is revealed and he's played by none other than Ralph Fiennes (who really seems to enjoy the role). Everyone's favourite dreamboat, Robert Pattinson plays a, well dreamboat named Cedric Diggory and has a chance to wow us with his incredible looks. Well that's all he's got going for him since his performance is as wooden as a baseball bat, but hey, its ok when you're dreamy.

HP44.jpg

"I don't think his eye is the only thing that's mad."

However all the new characters pale in comparison to MadEye Moody, played off the charts by excellent character actor Brendan Gleeson. Right from the beginning one can see that he's going to be an interesting individual to watch, but once he has his first class as teacher of the Dark Arts all bets are off. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the scene and the tension that he brings to it is superb. In fact, its easily up there with my favourites in the series simply for how quickly he toys with the emotions of his students. The darkness established in the previous film rears its head immediately, as instead of our usual opening at Potter's annoying relatives, we are instead treated to a murder scene. That's a fairly solid way to establish that the film is going to be a little more dreary than the last, and it continues with the attack after the World Cup. Speaking of the World Cup, I have to say that this was the best way to go about doing a Quidditch sequence yet. I'd grown tired of seeing basically the same thing over and over again and so was happy to see a slightly different look at it here. Plus its hilarious to me that the Irish team used a clearly drunken Leprechaun as their fireworks "mascot." Another moment I loved here was Moaning Myrtle's cameo in the bathroom where she tries to check out Harry's "wand". Yes, it was a little odd, but I couldn't help chuckling at it anyway.

HP47.jpg

"Here, take the dress...you're the woman in the relationship remember?"

As for things that I found weak here, I'd like to start off by mentioning that I never envisioned watching a teen drama show in a Harry Potter film. We get no less than The Young and the Restless starring Harry Potter and Ron Weasely in what appears to be a lovers spat of sorts. Ok, not really, but you couldn't tell from the way they kept making "eyes" at each other during their arguments. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Then there's the entire dance fiasco, which I'd rather not get into because it kind of stunk. I really don't need to watch the sordid tale of Harry trying to ask a girl out only to discover she's already taken and don't even get me started on Ron and Hermione's relationship problems. This maudlin subplot really bothered me and I couldn't wait until it was over and the action kicked back in. By the end of the film we're on the edge of our seat, as Voldemort returns with a vengeance, and Potter realizes nothing will ever be the same again. This film ends on a rather ambiguous note, but its easy to see that they were simply getting ready to push the envelope even further with the next one. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was better than I remembered it, though the teen drama stuff was actually worse. Splitting the difference, I'd say it was a success all around, and only served to further the Potter-mania that was at this point rapidly sweeping the globe.

HP45.jpg

"I'd like to put the teen drama up against this and see which comes out on top."

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was shot on a budget of $150 million and grossed over $896 million worldwide, yet again proving the popular might of this bespectacled wizard. To the credit of the producers, they had yet to attempt a simple "cash-in" and had done their level best to ensure that each film would be of high quality. That may very well be the reason why the franchise performed so well, though the themes and characters are also easy to get behind. Regardless of what it was, the phenomena was only beginning to play out on the big screen, and as we will see with tomorrow's entry, things were about to get crazy. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire has some issues, mostly in the melodramatic love stories, but they aren't enough to damage the film too greatly. A worthy entry to be sure, you would do well to pop this film into your DVD player as soon as you finish reading this review. 7.5/10.

HP42.jpg

"Stereotypical Leprechaun waves goodbye for now...."

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score

Love the Harry Potter reviews...

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Love the Harry Potter reviews...

Thanks man, glad you are checking them out. I lost a lot of stuff in this thread when the site went down but I will be reposting all of it over time.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

l_373889_3c8a3d9c.jpg

After a lonely summer on Privet Drive, Harry returns to a Hogwarts still full of worry with the knowledge that Voldemort has returned. Unfortunately, few of the other students or parents believe him. The ministry had decided to step in by appointing a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher who soon proves to be the nastiest person Harry has ever encountered. At the same time, Harry begins having dreams that he cannot explain and soon comes to realize that Voldemort may be attacking his mind. Will Harry be able to successfully defend himself against this new form of attack and train his fellow students to fight their evil enemies?

HP51.jpg

The stage had been set for the main part of the Harry Potter story to begin, and after The Goblet of Fire, all bets were off as to what we'd be in store for next. While the tone had darkened considerably even from the third film to the fourth, there was no way we could have expected what was to come next. While The Order of the Phoenix manages to take things even further than they had previously gone, it also provides a solid foundation for the rest of the story to play out. More than any other Potter film to this point, there is a real sense of coherency in the storytelling side of things, which is a refreshing change from the previous few. We also get to see our first glimpse of the main characters showing the more defined personalities they will have in the final films. The introduction of new and important characters is also a plus, and further serves to whet our appetite for the next chapter, even while we are engrossed in the current one. Though I don't consider it the best film in the series, I believe that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is certainly one of the most well rounded.

HP57.jpg

"Oh Luna, you so crazy!"

Directed by David Yates (who would handle all directing duties from here on) and written by Michael Goldenberg (I guess Steve Kloves was on vacation), the film expands on the previous tale of Voldemort's return and decides to push the envelope even further by introducing dangerous new villains and killing off heroes. Yates (who I'd been a fan of since his excellent mini-series State of Play) handles things perfectly here and shows the unique flair he brought to his earlier works. If one thought the pacing was deliberate in The Goblet of Fire, they'd be shocked to see how it is here. Yates makes sure every single moment counts and doesn't feel the need to waste time meandering around with his special effects or inane subplots. He truly understands how to tell a story through film the proper way, and perhaps that is why this film feels more coherent than its predecessors. Goldenberg's screenplay is fantastic in the sense that it doesn't deviate from Kloves writing style at all. In fact, if you didn't know that Goldenberg had written this film, you'd swear it was Kloves, the style is that similar. Goldenberg was fortunate however, because he got the first crack at writing some of the great new characters that are introduced here while also having the opportunity to do a lot with the principal cast.

HP53.jpg

"Now I will teach you to be great like me. Well almost as great."

As usual, I'm not going to spend a lot of time on Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint here, because by this point they are expected to be spot on and they are. I'll give Radcliffe a lot of credit though, because he certainly seems to have matured a lot as an actor between this film and the last. In fact, his scenes with Snape where he is trying to avoid having his mind probed are quite gripping. Rickman of course is his usual brilliant self, but Radcliffe proves that he can act off of him really well, and the two have some insanely good chemistry going on. Michael Gambon does his usual solid job with Dumbledore, as does Robbie Coltrane with Hagrid. Harry gets to trade a little more than just a smile with his love interest, played well by Katie Leung, while Evanna Lynch owns the screen in her small role as Luna Lovegood. Luna is so out in left field that she instantly becomes a great character, and Lynch does a real good job with the part considering it was her first film role. As per usual, Gary Oldman also delivers the standard strong performance you've come to expect from him, though I think he was a little better in Prisoner of Azkaban. Emma Thompson also deserves a little mention, as her small part is well played.

HP56.jpg

"The true definition of bitch."

However, even with all the great characters we've been introduced to already, nobody and I do mean nobody could have been prepared for the two new villains that come into the mix here. First off is Dolores Umbridge, played marvellously by Imelda Staunton. She is so easy to hate, with her torture of the students and that nasty pen she has them write lines with. Not just that though, Staunton imbues the character with so much venom, all hidden behind perhaps the most annoyingly fake laugh that I've ever heard. She truly is a standout and her character is just so easy to hate. That's the mark of a great villain, made even greater by the fact that Umbridge firmly believes what she's doing is the right thing. The other villain doesn't care if what she does is the right thing or not, she just wants to hurt people, and in doing so she quickly becomes a key player in the story. Helena Bonham-Carter's portrayal of Bellatix Lestrange is completely over the top but in a totally good way. She instantly gets over as a major player by taking out one of the most beloved characters, and I really enjoyed the subtle foreshadowing that her and Neville Longbottom may have some sort of unfinished business. Quite simply put, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is a film dominated chiefly by its female villains, but that's awesome because these two are so good at being bad.

HP54.jpg

"And one crazy bitch for good measure."

Outside of the strong acting, pretty much everything else in this film is damn good. First and foremost, this is the first Harry Potter film that doesn't feature some form of the Quidditch game and I for one am happy about that. It was getting a little tired for a concept, so I'm glad to see it removed for a change. Another thing missing from this film which ends up helping it is long and drawn out dialogue between Harry and his teen friends. Goldenberg must have understood that short exposition worked better in these films, which is another reason why the runtime is a little less here than before. That's also a good thing though, as the film doesn't have a chance to get slow in the middle due to these time constraints. Yet another awesome thing in this film is that its got Centaurs. Why is that awesome? Because they're freaking Centaurs and Centaurs are ALWAYS COOL!!! I'd also like to point out the incredibly awesome way the Weasely brothers go out in a bang with because hey, if you're going to get expelled you should do it in the most grandiose way possible. Their "exit" from Hogwarts qualifies as one of my favourite scenes in any Potter film, as its just whimsical enough to remind us of the childlike wonder the early tales had while not distracting from the dark and ominous tone that the films have taken since. When added all up, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is great entertainment to be sure. The characters have more depth, the story has more importance and the danger seems more real than ever. More so than that, it continues the story in a nearly flawless way, which is perhaps its greatest contribution to the franchise.

HP55.jpg

"Even blurry CGI Centaurs rule."

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was shot on a budget of $150 million and earned more than $939 million at the box office. If anyone is keeping track, that's almost $4.5 billion in total revenue and there were still more films to come. Perhaps even more impressive than that is that the fifth film in the franchise made more than any save the first one. Not only that, it also received strong praise from the critics, which proved that it wasn't just a mindless blockbuster, there was depth and emotion to the film as well. That obviously showed that the franchise was only getting stronger with age, and so the stage was clearly set for the next film to blow this one away. Expectations had to be higher than ever after Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and when one watches the film they will certainly see why. 8/10.

HP52.jpg

"If you're not around for The Half Blood Prince I'll sic my firework dragon on you."

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score

Definitely loving the reviews, can't wait for more.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles

I agree with Curys. :)