The Russo-Ukrainian War Thread (FKA Political Thread)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Mass shootings were fairly uncommon to begin with even before 1994 and the most famous mass shooting of all took place in 1999 during that ban.

I think it helped a little, but I feel the fact that social media rose to prominence at the exact same time it expired and the fact that Columbine turned those losers into infamous killers played a much larger role. Just my opinion.

I don’t know if you noticed, but mass shootings tend to happen to in these weird sprees. When one happens you’ll see at least two more in the following month. Then you’ll hear crickets about it for a while. The wall to coverage of these things I think emboldens copycats.

All stuff I agree with and have known for years, that Michael Moore documentary from like 2004 even came to the conclusion that the media was a big blame in general, not as much guns (he puts a lot on the NRA tho).

At this point I would like some kind of solution though, I can't provide it, I vote politicians on to do it. But it seems it's something I just have to accept

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Mass shootings were fairly uncommon to begin with even before 1994 and the most famous mass shooting of all took place in 1999 during that ban.

I think it helped a little, but I feel the fact that social media rose to prominence at the exact same time it expired and the fact that Columbine turned those losers into infamous killers played a much larger role. Just my opinion.

I don’t know if you noticed, but mass shootings tend to happen to in these weird sprees. When one happens you’ll see at least two more in the following month. Then you’ll hear crickets about it for a while. The wall to coverage of these things I think emboldens copycats.
The thing is, I think it’s worth a trial run. See how much it drops. Will it stop completely? Nope, never. But because nothing is a 100% fix, doesn’t mean it’s not worth trying to drop the numbers some. I say give it like 5 years, and compare it to the 5 years before hand, and see how big of a difference we have. If the number drops a decent amount, then let’s keep it, if it’s not a huge change then back to the drawing board.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
If you don't think they'll stop the shootings then what would? Clearly we're not politicians ourselves so if you have no real answer that's fine too, but I'm getting really fucking tired of Republicans saying this is "inevitable" bc gun laws won't change anything, yet present no other solution, simply that we must live with this possibility that every other developed country does not have to live with. Which to me makes America sounds like a shithole personally, but the conversation does not have to be "what should we do about guns" it can be "how do we prevent mass shootings" or even simplified to "how do we prevent school shootings" if we want to admit that America can't handle taking care of all its citizens, we can at least focus on making sure children arent shredded to unrecognizable bits

Better mental health screenings at schools? Maybe more programs to let young people get counseling for free?

Most mass shooters are younger than 30. There’s clearly something that happens in their life or their head that makes them think killing school kids is the idea.

I think tackling that would be most helpful.

I’m all for trying the background checks, though, and maybe a mental health screening if applying for a gun purchase before you’re 25? That could maybe be the best solution of all if we make sure the process isn’t used to disenfranchise any particular groups of people.

I’d also put metal detectors at school entrances with police at them checking bags. If feels excessive, but I think that one alone would stop school shootings.

Reactions: Doom

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Why are people in certain states allowed to walk around with guns in the first place?

That's fucking stupid,

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Stopping mass shootings in general should be the absolute TOP priority for any gun nut anyway cause people don't care about gun violence when it's gangs and stuff and never have, they just care when it happens to random bc then that means it could be you at any given time. But it always seems like I hear "but mental health" for a few weeks after and then crickets, or they present no attempt to help and just go into defensive gun owner mode which is never going to get the conversation to shift away from "banning guns" if that's their goal

Reactions: Doom

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I’d also put metal detectors at school entrances with police at them checking bags. If feels excessive, but I think that one alone would stop school shootings.
Sounds like a prison.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Why are people in certain states allowed to walk around with guns in the first place?

That's fucking stupid,

If there's no specific notice saying guns aren't allowed on the premises, you can open carry any form of gun in Texas that you're allowed to own. Full on rifles in Walmart sometimes (rarely cause Walmart usually has the notices posted tho)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Better mental health screenings at schools? Maybe more programs to let young people get counseling for free?

Most mass shooters are younger than 30. There’s clearly something that happens in their life or their head that makes them think killing school kids is the idea.

I think tackling that would be most helpful.

I’m all for trying the background checks, though, and maybe a mental health screening if applying for a gun purchase before you’re 25? That could maybe be the best solution of all if we make sure the process isn’t used to disenfranchise any particular groups of people.

Agree with all of this, background checks and mental screenings, etc. Are what i think of when I think "gun control" since I don't think they should be banned

Oh yes America is also a shithole for our Healthcare as well lol if we just had a decent Healthcare and education system in general then so many of the big political hot topics wouldn't even be a thing rn, but those can't be fixed instantly so at this point I've given up on change there. It will just be reversed when the next party gets into power if either tries

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Stopping mass shootings in general should be the absolute TOP priority for any gun nut anyway cause people don't care about gun violence when it's gangs and stuff and never have, they just care when it happens to random bc then that means it could be you at any given time. But it always seems like I hear "but mental health" for a few weeks after and then crickets, or they present no attempt to help and just go into defensive gun owner mode which is never going to get the conversation to shift away from "banning guns" if that's their goal

I feel you. If I was a politician, I’d try to reach across the aisle and get something done, but I think both sides are stupidly entrenched here. Dems I don’t think would work with Republicans on anything that isn’t gun control.

I could be wrong, but I believe they have even said so.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Sounds like a prison.

Kids are getting shot, who gives a fuck if it prevents that? It's 2022, you gotta try and do what you can cause the major changes that need to happen clearly aren't going to

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I guess, but they’d be safe.
So much for American exceptionalism.

"Kids sorry you have to be in jail like environments, because we can't trust our blueberries here, even though the rest of the world, seem to not have this problem."

:confused

Y'all should've given your collective heads a shake at "active shooter drills".

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I feel you. If I was a politician, I’d try to reach across the aisle and get something done, but I think both sides are stupidly entrenched here. Dems I don’t think would work with Republicans on anything that isn’t gun control.

I could be wrong, but I believe they have even said so.

Yes but you just named multiple forms of "gun control" as a solution. From my POV it seems there's a perception that gun control only means "banning every firearm" when a republican hears it. Possibly bc i mostly only talk to souther liberals....but I never hear anyone say that except for ones I've already deemed extreme and I listen to them as much as I listen to proud boy Republicans lol

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
And I mean the police stay at those entrances at all hours of the day there are kids in the building maybe also until all the teachers leave. Depending on certain things.

I might even say there should be only one entrance even, but the main thing is if they want two entrances, just have the metal detectors and police at both and we’re good.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Honestly now that I already mentioned it I'm struggling to think of any major political issue that I DONT think is a side effect of either bad healthcare, education or both :lol but we can't focus on broad changes to those systems bc we have all of these other issues caused by them that people want short term fixes for