The Rock was overrated. Explain why he isn't.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
As the title says, he never impressed me.
Not one word captivated me and is ring work was over dramatic.
So he drew money! He still sucked and rode the coattails of Steve Austin.
Convince this loser was any good and didn't rely on tired material that was never funny to begin with.

CM Punk was right, The Rock's 'schtick' was overused and more stale than 5 day old white bread.
I'm all ears. Tell me why he was so great, cause I'm not convinced yet.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Crowd manipulation made him special. Very few could lead a crowd like he did. It's one thing for you to say his stuff was stale but they named a show after his catchphrase, that should tell you all you need to know really.

Reactions: Tumbas' #1 Fan

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
That's an interesting take, but one I've heard before.
I'd say Roddy Piper, CM Punk, Steve Austin, Mick Foley and even Kane were far more innovative.
The only reason The Rock has Smackdown named in his honor was because of his age.
The only reason The Rock could easily manipulate crowds was the great majority of wrestling fans are people of very low self-esteem and accomplishment.

Had WWE catered to a smarter audience, they probably could have made more money with Kane.

Reactions: u_cant_c_me

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
You sound a lot like Tgmiveld at this stage. They manipulated where the money was (if he was holding onto Austin's coattails as you said earlier surely Austin was only attracting this stupid audience also? )

• Haha
Reactions: Swift

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
You sound a lot like Tgmiveld at this stage. They manipulated where the money was (if he was holding onto Austin's coattails as you said earlier surely Austin was only attracting this stupid audience also? )
I wasn't inferring that the audience was stupid, only that they could make more money attracting a 'smarter' audience.
I do believe, however, that the majority of wrestling fans are easily manipulated and of low self-motivation.

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
I completely agree with this statement. That's basically stereotyping the vast majority of the fans, as well as chastising them for liking a guy that was able to draw because of high charisma.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I completely agree with this statement. That's basically stereotyping the vast majority of the fans, as well as chastising them for liking a guy that was able to draw because of high charisma.

Stereotyping fans isn't difficult. Why do you think the "Yes Movement" is so effective? What about "U-so"? How about "We the people"?
I certainly am chastising them. They're obviously being told to like The Rock when a guy like Kane is obviously far better.
If a 60% of the fans in an arena jumped off a bridge, I guarantee you, 15% of the remaining fans would jump as well.... without even thinking twice about it.

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
Stereotyping fans isn't difficult. Why do you think the "Yes Movement" is so effective? What about "U-so"? How about "We the people"?
I certainly am chastising them. They're obviously being told to like The Rock when a guy like Kane is obviously far better.
If a 60% of the fans in an arena jumped off a bridge, I guarantee you, 15% of the remaining fans would jump as well.... without even thinking twice about it.
Aside from the great 2010 promo, explain to me how Kane would draw better than the Rock with the average/current fanbase.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Aside from the great 2010 promo, explain to me how Kane would draw better than the Rock with the average/current fanbase.
You deserve that winner rating for being one of the few people who remember that epic 2010 promo.
I actually am not talking about the current fanbase.
I am telling you that had WWE toyed with a smarter fanbase by the end of 2000, Kane would be a far bigger star than The Rock. Far bigger.
The Rock was on his last legs and 'smarter' talents like Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho were rising to the top.
Kane is the would be the prime benefactor given his size, talent and skill set. He would have taken wrestling to new heights.

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
You deserve that winner rating for being one of the few people who remember that epic 2010 promo.
I actually am not talking about the current fanbase.
I am telling you that had WWE toyed with a smarter fanbase by the end of 2000, Kane would be a far bigger star than The Rock. Far bigger.
The Rock was on his last legs and 'smarter' talents like Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho were rising to the top.
Kane is the would be the prime benefactor given his size, talent and skill set. He would have taken wrestling to new heights.
But Rock still main evented X7 (albeit not technically but realistically) "main evented" X8 as well. If you had taken someone like Kane and paired him against Hulk Hogan, how would that have been the same draw that Rock vs Hogan would've been, even if the crowd and Kane were groomed to perfect chemistry.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
But Rock still main evented X7 (albeit not technically but realistically) "main evented" X8 as well. If you had taken someone like Kane and paired him against Hulk Hogan, how would that have been the same draw that Rock vs Hogan would've been, even if the crowd and Kane were groomed to perfect chemistry.
Easy. Why not play up to Kane's genius?
Stop being naive, Nero, because we both know you aren't.
Kane has a mind for this business. He's a wordsmith and has great knowledge of how to make even a sh*tty program work.
Kane/Hogan would be epic. He would play mind-games with Hogan and make Hogan believe he couldn't win.
Rock/Hogan was generic. Two icons OMFG!!! Lame. No wonder 2002 was so jacked up.

Put Kane in the driver's seat and watch the smarter wrestling fans eat it up. With Kane, suddenly we have something to look forward to other than the cliche.

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
Easy. Why not play up to Kane's genius?
Stop being naive, Nero, because we both know you aren't.
Kane has a mind for this business. He's a wordsmith and has great knowledge of how to make even a sh*tty program work.
Kane/Hogan would be epic. He would play mind-games with Hogan and make Hogan believe he couldn't win.
Rock/Hogan was generic. Two icons OMFG!!! Lame. No wonder 2002 was so jacked up.

Put Kane in the driver's seat and watch the smarter wrestling fans eat it up. With Kane, suddenly we have something to look forward to other than the cliche.
You're acting as if all wrestling fans are smarter fans, or in a similar regard, smarks/marks. They're not. The whole idea of having Kane vs Hogan wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't mesh well between their characters. Yes, Rock vs Hogan was battle of the icons, but the fans loved the build. How would Kane vs Hogan have a build that wouldn't be one sided/entertaining? Mind games only work so far, especially in a Wrestlemania buildup. You seem to be playing it from your personal perspective rather than the actual average fan/fanbase.

Reactions: Tumbas' #1 Fan

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
The Rock was on his last legs by WM X7. He couldn't even draw much sympathy from Austin hometown.
I get it that it was in Texas, but if Rock were a bigger star he could have drawn bigger heat that night for Austin.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
You're acting as if all wrestling fans are smarter fans, or in a similar regard, smarks/marks. They're not. The whole idea of having Kane vs Hogan wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't mesh well between their characters. Yes, Rock vs Hogan was battle of the icons, but the fans loved the build. How would Kane vs Hogan have a build that wouldn't be one sided/entertaining? Mind games only work so far, especially in a Wrestlemania buildup. You seem to be playing it from your personal perspective rather than the actual average fan/fanbase.
If that's the case, then what are educational institutions filled with? I went to college and guess who was there? It wasn't Lesnar guy.
The fact that the Attitude Era died soon after Austin turned heel is proof the viewing audience was clamoring for a new, fresh flag bearer.
There are far more smarter people in the world than you are giving credit. Vince McMahon was blinded. He took the easy way out.

The Rock was easy and WWE fell off. Kane was innovative. He would have changed how the business was worked. It would inside out, not outside in.