The Official 2024 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
It's unfortunate for the deaths of both Jeff Gladney and Marion Barber. I hate to see their lives cut short.

RIP to both men. :(

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Cool post I saw in honor of Ryan Fitzpatrick's retirement.

Reactions: King Kota and Doom

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Cool post I saw in honor of Ryan Fitzpatrick's retirement.

Fitting tribute to the journeyman Fitzpatrick. He was fun quarterback to watch.

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Couple of retirements were recently announced:

Center Alex Mack announces retirement after 13 NFL seasons​

ESPN

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- After an offseason of will he or won't he, San Francisco 49ers center Alex Mack has made a decision about his football future.

He won't. After 13 NFL seasons, Mack announced his retirement via Twitter and in conjunction with the 49ers on Friday morning, bringing an end to a career that included seven Pro Bowl selections, three second-team All-Pro nods and a spot on the Pro Football Hall of Fame's All-Decade team for the 2010s.

"After 13 seasons and 204 games for 3 teams, I have decided to hang up my cleats," Mack wrote on Twitter. "I am so grateful to the game of football and everything it has given me. From the very start it helped shape who I am and taught me life lessons. I started to play football because it was fun and that never changed...

"I always tried to hold up my end of the bargain and never let anyone doubt my effort."

Mack, 36, earned his final Pro Bowl appearance last season, his only year spent in San Francisco. He signed with the 49ers as a free agent in March of 2021 in a move that not only reunited him for the third time with coach Kyle Shanahan -- the pair also worked together in Atlanta and Cleveland -- but was something of a full-circle moment for Mack, who played at the University of California in nearby Berkeley.

At the time, Mack signed a three-year deal but made it clear that he was playing on a year-to-year basis and would evaluate whether to continue at the end of each offseason. Mack remained committed to that this offseason, leaving many wondering what he was going to do all offseason.

At the NFL owners meetings in late March, Niners general manager John Lynch expressed optimism that Mack was going to return, saying that "all signs are him coming back and being a part of us."

Lynch's tone changed dramatically just before the draft about a month later when he said that he would let Mack make his own announcement when he was ready.

On Thursday, Mack and the Niners agreed to a reworked contract that dropped his base salary for 2022 from $5 million to $1.12 million and from $3.35 million to $1.165 million in 2023. The move saved the 49ers more than $4 million in cap space this season, money they quickly used to sign their nine-player draft class.

On Friday, Mack made his retirement official and the 49ers released a statement thanking Mack for his contributions.

"The center position in the NFL is the heartbeat of an offense and Alex's intellect, consistency, love for the game and professional approach made a lasting impression over the course of his 13 NFL seasons," Lynch and Shanahan said in a statement. "Congratulations to Alex on a highly decorated NFL career and we wish him nothing but success in his post-playing career."

Mack was originally the 21st overall pick by Cleveland in the 2009 NFL draft. He earned three Pro Bowl nods and was a second-team All-Pro once in seven seasons with the Browns before landing three Pro Bowl berths and two second-team All-Pro spots in five years with the Falcons.

The 49ers now find themselves searching for a replacement at a position Shanahan values greatly in his offense.

Internal veteran options include Jake Brendel, who has been working with the starters during the offseason program, and Daniel Brunskill, who started at right guard last season but played some center in 2020.

San Francisco also has a trio of rookies -- Nick Zakelj, Dohnovan West and Jason Poe -- who could factor into the mix, though Shanahan has traditionally been reluctant to play someone inexperienced at center.

Outside of the building, veteran JC Tretter is the best center on the free-agent market, though he comes with questions about a knee issue that prevented him from practicing much of last season.

I hate to see him not win a championship. Regardless, he had a helluva career in the NFL, being part of the 2010s All-Decade Team and was voted to 7 Pro Bowls and was voted second team All-Pro three times. Future Hall of Famer for Mack.

Frank Gore signs one-day deal with San Francisco 49ers, officially retires as member of team that drafted him​

ESPN

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Even as he spent his final six seasons playing for other NFL teams, running back Frank Gore never stopped acting like a member of the San Francisco 49ers.

Gore, 39, would watch from afar, rooting for the team that selected him in the third round of the 2005 NFL draft and riding the highs and lows that came during the final half-dozen years of his NFL career.

All of which made it a no-brainer for Gore to ensure that when the time came, he would walk away from the game as a member of the team that he never stopped loving. On Thursday, the Niners announced that Gore signed a one-day contract to retire as a 49er and that he will be inducted into the franchise's Edward DeBartolo Sr. Hall of Fame at a game during the 2022 NFL season.

"Frank had to overcome many challenges upon entering the NFL and now leaves the game not only as one of the best backs in NFL history, but one of the best football players ever," Niners CEO Jed York said in a statement. "Frank's 16-year NFL career is a testament to his durability, having played in more games than any other running back in league history. His grit, toughness and commitment to greatness earned him the respect of his coaches, teammates and opponents. We knew this day would come when Frank would retire a 49er and we look forward to The Faithful celebrating his induction into the 49ers Hall of Fame in Levi's Stadium this upcoming season."

Gore's official retirement comes after 16 NFL seasons, 10 of which were spent forging a resume as the most productive running back in 49ers history. During his time in San Francisco, Gore became the franchise leader in career rushing yards (11,703) and touchdowns (64), and his 13,956 yards from scrimmage are second only to receiver Jerry Rice in franchise annals.

Along the way, Gore earned second-team All-Pro honors in 2006 and five Pro Bowl nods, and he was a member of the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 2010s.

All of that came after the Niners used the No. 65 pick in 2005 on Gore even though he twice tore the ACL in his left knee twice while at the University of Miami.

"One of the very first things I told the 49ers organization when they drafted me in 2005 was that they got the right guy," Gore said. "I knew early on that I wouldn't let my college career define me in regard to injuries and that I would have to outwork a lot of people to get to where I wanted to be. After 10 years in San Francisco and 16 years in the NFL, I can confidently say that I put all I had into the game of football. Football was and is everything to me. From meetings and film study to practice and just being in the locker room, all of it meant the world to me. I am happy to officially close this chapter of my life and proud of what I was able to accomplish and the legacy I leave behind."

The legacy Gore leaves behind is one that few running backs in NFL history can match.

After departing for a two-year stint with the Indianapolis Colts in 2015, Gore went on to play for the Miami Dolphins in 2018, Buffalo Bills in 2019 and New York Jets in 2020. He did not play in 2021.

With all of those stops added together, Gore retires as the league's third-leading rusher, posting 16,000 yards on 3,735 carries for his 16-year career. Both of those totals trail only Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton in league record books. Gore added 81 rushing touchdowns, 484 receptions for 3,985 yards and 18 receiving scores.

Gore said in April he intended to retire a Niner, and York had said multiple times since Gore's departure that the team would be happy to make that happen when the time came.

The announcement that Gore will join the team's Hall of Fame was a natural addition to Gore's retirement announcement. He will be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2026.

"This organization will always be a part of me, one that I will forever associate myself with," Gore said. "I will talk about San Francisco as 'we' and 'us' for the rest of my life and will support the 49ers and The Faithful in every way possible."

Gore had an outstanding career, still played at a consistent rate when his career was winding down in the last few years. Along with Mack, he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: King Kota and Chris

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
FitzMagic :proud

a lot of really good careers ending this off-season

Reactions: Doom

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Let's be honest. Anybody who thinks that Frank Gore isn't a Hall-of-Famer is talking out their ass. Here's the tale of the take for Frank Gore's Hall of Fame admission:

Most Games Played by a Running Back, 3rd All-Time Rushing Yards,19th All-Time in Rushing Touchdowns, 3rd in Rushing Attempts, 4th All-Time in Yards From Scrimmage (All Positions), 5th in All-Purpose Yards, 5x Pro Bowl, 1x Second-Team All-Pro, 2010s All-Decade Team, and 1x NFC Champion.

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Let's be honest. Anybody who thinks that Frank Gore isn't a Hall-of-Famer is talking out their ass. Here's the tale of the take for Frank Gore's Hall of Fame admission:

Most Games Played by a Running Back, 3rd All-Time Rushing Yards,19th All-Time in Rushing Touchdowns, 3rd in Rushing Attempts, 4th All-Time in Yards From Scrimmage (All Positions), 5th in All-Purpose Yards, 5x Pro Bowl, 1x Second-Team All-Pro, 2010s All-Decade Team, and 1x NFC Champion.
And those stats and accomplishments and the 16 seasons in the league, is why he's a future HOF'er.

Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Only argument I’ve ever heard against Frank Gore for the HoF is the fact that he was never the best at his position

But that’s difficult when you’re playing at the same time as guys like LT, AP, Derrick Henry and McCaffrey.

He’ll get in. Might not be first ballot but he’ll get in

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Aaron Donald's retirement may have to wait for another time.

Rams restructure Aaron Donald contract to make him highest-paid non-QB in NFL history​

NFL

Aaron Donald isn't retiring, and he's returning to a bank vault worth of cash.
The Los Angeles Rams restructured Donald's contract to make him the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

No new years were added to Donald's contract, which now guarantees him $65 million over the next two seasons and $95 million through the 2024 season, Rapoport added. In all, Donald nets a $40 million raise over his previous contract, which carried a base salary of just $9.25 million into the 2022 season.

The future first-ballot Hall of Famer had flirted with the idea of walking away from the game after winning Super Bowl LVI. He'd even gone on record as saying he'd return if the Rams brought back key players like Von Miller and Odell Beckham, but Miller signed with Buffalo and Beckham remains unsigned.

In the end, that didn't matter as much as the money. Donald reset the market atop which he already sat, going from a league-leading $22.5 million per year to $31.6 million per year on average. The new average compensation is $10 million more per year than the next closest interior defensive lineman (the Giants' Leonard Williams).

The money is, as we all know, well worth it. Donald is a seven-time All-Pro and eight-time Pro Bowler, a member of the Hall of Fame's All-2010s team, a three-time AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year and was the 2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year. Donald has existed as the embodiment of excellence for the majority of his career, proving the Rams correct in spending the 13th-overall pick on him in the 2014 draft.

With the goal of running it back in 2022, the Rams can feel more confident about their chances with Donald back in the fold. General manager Les Snead has crossed off another important item on his to-do list.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
In other news, Deshaun Watson's facing his 24th lawsuit:

Browns QB Deshaun Watson now facing 24 lawsuits alleging sexual assault and misconduct​

NFL

An additional lawsuit alleging that Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson committed sexual assault and misconduct during massage sessions was filed on Monday in Harris County (Texas) District Court.

Watson now faces 24 civil cases in total.

In the new suit, Katy Williams, the plaintiff identified by name who owned and operated a massage therapy business in Houston, alleges she was sexually assaulted in the second of two massage sessions with Watson in August 2020.

Williams states that she had no issues with Watson in an Aug. 5, 2020 session and that he "was professional." However, in the second session on Aug. 9, Williams alleges Watson exposed himself to her, proceeded to touch himself and performed a sexual act.

The NFL declined comment on Monday's lawsuit filing.

According to the lawsuit, Williams is coming forward now "after reading Deshaun Watson proclaimed he has no regrets and that he has done nothing wrong," sentiments Watson expressed during his introductory news conference with the Cleveland Browns in March.

"He may in fact have no regrets, but he has certainly done wrong," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit also references comments made last Friday by Watson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, on a Houston radio station that "happy endings" are not illegal.

"Watson's lawyer claims that 'happy endings' are common in massage therapy and, short of paying extra for it, such conduct is not a crime," the lawsuit stated.

Hardin later clarified that he was speaking in hypotheticals and that Watson "did not pay anyone for sex."

A separate suit filed May 31 was the first new lawsuit filed against Watson since April 2021.

Watson, 26, has previously denied any wrongdoing and maintained any sex with the women was consensual. Two grand juries in Texas have declined to indict Watson on criminal complaints filed by 10 women.

Watson is facing potential discipline from the NFL, which is independently investigating whether he violated the league's personal-conduct policy.

League investigators have interviewed Watson in Houston previously. At the Spring League Meeting, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league is "nearing the end of the investigation" into Watson, but Goodell did not provide a timeline for a decision to be announced.

"He may in fact have no regrets, but he has certainly done wrong," the lawsuit states.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Oh no. Anyways.

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson saw at least 66 massage therapists over 17-month period, report says​

ESPN

The New York Times reported Tuesday that Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson booked massage appointments with at least 66 different women over 17 months, from fall 2019 through spring 2021.

The list of 66 includes the 24 women who have filed lawsuits against Watson, including two in the past week; a woman who sued Watson, but then withdrew the complaint; two women who filed criminal complaints against Watson but did not sue him; at least 15 therapists who issued statements of support for Watson at the request of his lawyers; at least four therapists contracted with the Texans; five women identified by the plaintiffs' lawyers during the investigation for their civil suits; and at least 15 other women whose appointments with Watson were confirmed through interviews and records reviewed by The Times.

A few of these additional women spoke publicly for the first time to the Times. One woman, who did not sue Watson or complain to the police, told The Times that he was persistent in his requests for sexual acts during their massage, including "begging" her to put her mouth on his penis.

The New York Times also reported that the nondisclosure agreement that Watson gave to some of the women to sign came from the Texans' director of security, Brent Naccara. The Times reports that the NDA was in Watson's locker at NRG Stadium days after a woman posted Watson's phone number on Instagram.

The Texans declined to comment on the NDA, but said in a statement that they first found out about the allegations against Watson in March 2021 when the first lawsuit was filed.

The latest lawsuit filed Monday says the plaintiff massaged Watson twice. The first session, the lawsuit says, was cut short because "Watson had to leave abruptly after taking a phone call." The lawsuit says Watson scheduled a second massage a few days later, when the woman says that Watson exposed himself and masturbated and "offered no apology or explanation for his conduct." The lawsuit says the plaintiff "shortly thereafter quit massage therapy."

In a statement released Monday evening, Watson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, said: "We are unable to respond to the new lawsuit at this time. Our legal team has not had time to investigate this new filing and had not heard her name until today. Deshaun continues to deny he did anything inappropriate with any of the plaintiffs."

As the 24th lawsuit was being formally announced, Watson took part in the Browns' charity golf outing in Rocky River, Ohio. He did not speak to the media.

Though two grand juries in Texas declined to pursue criminal charges against Watson earlier this year, the NFL is investigating whether he violated its code of conduct and interviewed the quarterback in person last month as part of its investigation. At the league's spring meeting, commissioner Roger Goodell said he thought the NFL was nearing the end of its investigation but couldn't give a timeline for when a ruling might be made.

Watson has denied all wrongdoing.

"What I can continue to do is tell the truth," he said on March 25, his first and only media interview since joining the Browns. "And that is I have never assaulted, disrespected or harassed any woman in my life."

Wow! That's a tremendous amount of massage therapists that Watson encountered.

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Cooper Kupp's extending his contract and is getting paid BIG money:

Sources: Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams reach 3-year, $80M extension​

ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams signed wide receiver Cooper Kupp to a three-year, $80 million contract extension, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday.

The contract includes $75 million guaranteed and is worth $110 million over the five years of the deal, sources said. It's the highest amount of guaranteed money ever given to an NFL wide receiver.

Last season, Kupp led the league with 145 catches for 1,947 yards and 16 touchdowns during the regular season. He also caught two touchdowns in Super Bowl LVI and was named MVP of the game. He became the fourth player since the 1970 merger to lead the league in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.

After the Rams' first practice of minicamp on Tuesday, Kupp said he was not looking for a contract that would reset the wide receiver market.

"I'm not trying to compare myself," Kupp said. "I'm not trying to say, 'OK, well where was Tyreek [Hill] at? All those guys that got deals, where were all those guys at? And I need to be higher than them in certain places.'"

Kupp also said Tuesday that he wanted the contract to be "something we can work on together."

"Something that's great for the team, something that's great for me and my family as well," Kupp said. "That place exists, and it's just getting there."

On Monday, the Rams reworked defensive tackle Aaron Donald's contract to make him the highest-paid non-quarterback in the NFL. Los Angeles also extended quarterback Matthew Stafford and signed linebacker Bobby Wagner and wide receiver Allen Robinson II this offseason.

Since the 1970 merger, Kupp is one of eight players with 5,500 receiving yards and 40 receiving touchdowns within his first five career seasons. The others are Mike Evans, A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice.

ESPN Stats & Information research contributed to this story.

Reactions: Swerve

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
He earned that huge deal like Teammate Donald did as well.

Reactions: Swerve and Doom