The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Directed By:
Peter Jackson

Based on: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Starring: Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch

Release Date:
14 December 2012

Plot Summary: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" follows title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever... Gollum. Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities... A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

So this is the first film in a three part series that is based on The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien and will serve as a prequel to Lord of the Rings. The LOTR films were incredibly popular and they will certainly be hoping that all that went out to see those films will see The Hobbit. I like the casting of Martin Freeman for this role, really funny guy but can do serious as well.

Anyone going to see this film when it comes out next month?

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
WHAT! No mention of Gimli's father Gloin being one of the thirteen?

I dont know if I will see this opening day, but I will be seeing it in theatres. J.R.R. Tolkien is one of my favorite fantasy writters asides from R.A. Salvatore, and I have been anticipating The Hobbit Trillogy(sounds retarted to say when the book was half the size of any one LOTR book) since it was announced.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Cannot wait to see this. I'm not a Ringer or anything, but man, I've been waiting years since the announcement of the film.

Surprised there haven't been ANY tv spots yet for it. Weird.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I was under the impression that it was scheduled for next year. To hear that it's coming out so soon makes me really happy. I will most definitely see this film.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Is anyone else put off by the fact that he's stretching the story across three films? I'll still probably go see it when it's released, but I can't say I'm exactly looking forward to it. I expect it'll be a chore to get through.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Thought it was just at two now?

I don't know read the books when I heard about the movies. Loved the books the movies were kinda meh too me. Seems like most of the stuff I enjoyed was on the cutting room floor. I'm sure I'll watch this movie, but my expectations are lowered.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I'll probably check out a bootleg of this or wait for it on DVD, seeing as this is the first installment, I'm guessing heavy exposition. Which kind of makes it abit of a challenge to stay awake for me, Fellowship was like this for me.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Looking forward to it, but I do wish Guillermo del Toro had been able to direct. Jackson is the best possible replacement but I'm a total mark for del Toro and to see his vision of Middle Earth would've been something else.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Only reason why I think another director may have been a good thing is that LOTR and The Hobbit are very different books. The Hobbit is a children's story and comes across as such, far much more comedy than anything seen in LOTR. Be interesting to see how Jackson handles that.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Dead Alive sounds like a good name to represent Jackson's humour. Not to mention how he handled Peregrin Took & Meriadoc Brandybuck.

GDT would have brought new visuals, but I still think Jackson is the right man for the job, and WETA Workshop did such a great job on LOTR that I highly doubt the new visuals would have resembled the established Middle-Earth.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
It's probably told via flashback or something. Anyone seen it yet.