Summarize and Rate the Last Movie You Saw

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Killswitch

Reaction score
The Social Network - It's the goddamn Facebook movie. I liked it. That crazy azn chick is hot and Justin Timberlake is cool as hell. Just enough college bitches to keep things flowing. Needs boobs. 4/5

The_King

Reaction score
The Woman
A friend of mine recommended it to me, and it sounded like a fun gore fest. I was in for a surprise haha.
Basically, a man finds a savage woman in the forest while hunting. He abducts her, chains her up in his shed, and forces his family to help civilize her. I thought the gore fest was going to start, but surprisingly, they hit me with amazing acting focusing more on the humanity (or lack thereof) of the family and the woman. Great ending, great suspense building, and great acting all around. By far the best horror movie I've seen this year (and I'm generally pretty picky).
8.5/10

Pete

Reaction score
Captain America - The First Avenger 2/5
When it comes to Marvel movies, there's the good (Iron Man, Spider-Man 1, Fantastic Four) and then there's the not so good (Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider, Punisher). Captain America - The First Avenger sadly falls on the wrong side of this equation, being just another throwaway superhero movie

The main problem with this movie is that, right from the off, it is nothing but a marketing gimmick. Its objective is not to lovingly tell a hero's origin story, a la Spidey or Iron Man, but instead to set up an upcoming movie - the recently released Avengers Assemble. This purpose is so blatant, that the movie goes to the extent of tacking a trailer for AA as a post-credits Easter Egg, along with the words "Captain America will return in The Avengers". It's all a bit soulless, really, and the same can be said about the movie.

Like with all Marvel movies, the best moments in this one derive from character development and interactions. Purists will rage at the unnecessary "added motivation" for Steve Rogers, but the truth is, his interactions with best friend Bucky Barnes (who, again, never dons the cape and cowl like in the comics, but still dies anyway) and inexplicably British US Army Captain Peggy Carter (whose presence in the US rather than the British army is, of course, entirely unexplained) make for the best scenes in this movie, with committed performances by all involved.

These small moments of typically Marvelesque character work are, however, not enough to pardon the manifold other flaws the movie suffers from. The action sequences, for instance, are banal, and the final battle will undoubtedly join Super Shredder and Darth Maul's demises in the annals of final-showdown infamy. Writing-wise, the plot could be summarized in two lines - and, for the past 50 years, has been, at the beginning of every Cap comic - and the story meanders all over the place. Rather than dwell on a specific mission, the film chooses to show us EVERYTHING Cap has ever done - and feels disjointed as a result. Add in some serious suspension of disbelief (like buying into the construction of a laser gun being possible in the 1940s), and not even one of the coolest villain deaths ever (consumed by your own MacGuffin) can salvage this movie's writing.

In the end, then, it is hard to get into Captain America - The First Avenger. The majority of the movie plays like dull, soulless padding, and the viewer is ultimately left with nothing but those small character-driven scenes to chew on. Purists will hate the continuity-mangling, and everyone else will find precious little reason to give a damn. Skip it.

Last edited:

Killswitch

Reaction score
Puss In Boots - I enjoyed this film plenty. If you've seen the Shrek films, you should be aware that Puss is almost always the best part of them and in his own movie, he was awesome. The only downside is that Banderas is the only one who owns. The supporting players just can't match his awesomeness and charisma. 4/5

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Sin City (2005) 7/10
Slightly too over the top, mess of a fantasy film noir, also it doesn't quite have the depth it thinks it has, never the less a truly inventive and thrilling visual experiences, with some nice twists and and a fine cast, Clive Owen, Bruce Willis and Benicio Del Toro being the pick of the bunch.

The Kid With a Bike (2011) 8/10
Excellent drama set in a poor area of France involving a young boy who is searching for his father and is taking by a local woman who helps him. It is a tender and moving film, but also very shocking and it captures perfectly the joys, but also frustions of youth. It is very well directed, with a visual flair and has two very compelling performances at the heart of it. One of the highlights of the year so far.

Pete

Reaction score
Che Part One 4/5 and Che Part Two 2.5/5
Steven Soderbergh's two-part biopic of the legendary Che Guevara is well worth a watch. While Part One is stronger and much more riveting overall, both films have their moments and are well-written and acted. Cinematography in particular is stunning, easily constituting the highlight of both movies. The performances are also naturalistic, with the use of Spanish allowing the actors much more freedom, without the burden of having to skirt around dodgy accents, as well as lending the whole thing realism. The movies do have their flaws (the use of a heavily-accented translator for voice-overs in Part One chief among them), but are nonetheless above-par offerings (especially the first one) and well worth a viewing by "serious" moviegoers who can stomach subtitles.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Rambo IV

Finally saw this on the weekend, I have watched the other three movies numerous times (I have them on DVD) and it is an enjoyable action series. I don't really like the third movie but the first two are great. This one is set twenty years after the third movie and Rambo is currently living in Thailand. A group of missionaries are kidnapped and so a church pastor hires Rambo to take a group of mercenaries up the river to rescue them. Rambo does so and once he gets there he decides that he needs to take part and without giving too much away he kills lots of people. Not a cinematic masterpiece but a fun way to spend 90 minutes.

7/10

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Che Part One 4/5 and Che Part Two 2.5/5
Steven Soderbergh's two-part biopic of the legendary Che Guevara is well worth a watch. While Part One is stronger and much more riveting overall, both films have their moments and are well-written and acted. Cinematography in particular is stunning, easily constituting the highlight of both movies. The performances are also naturalistic, with the use of Spanish allowing the actors much more freedom, without the burden of having to skirt around dodgy accents, as well as lending the whole thing realism. The movies do have their flaws (the use of a heavily-accented translator for voice-overs in Part One chief among them), but are nonetheless above-par offerings (especially the first one) and well worth a viewing by "serious" moviegoers who can stomach subtitles.

Still have only see the first part of that which is good, should see the other half.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
The Avengers- 4.5/5

I would honestly give it a 5/5 if it weren't for the fact that it was basically only a big battle. The acting was awesome, every moment in the movie was awesome. Truly a comic book lovers wet dream. The actors did a great job portraying their roles. But I felt it lacked something, I'm not quite sure though. I'd definitely recommend seeing it, Hell, I plan on watching it again at some point! Don't go for the 3D though, that's a HUGE waste of money.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Seeking Justice 8/10

Nicholas Cage has been churning out the shit lately. So I watched this one rather reluctantly had Guy Pierce and January Jones among some other really good character actors so I thought I'd give it a shot. Turned out to be a really good story and it wasn't hammed up like I expected. I finished watching it wishing it'd been released in theaters instead of Drive Angry and Ghost Rider 2

Pete

Reaction score
X-Men: First Class 2.5/5
Despite some great character moments and an undeniably cool climactic battle, this film felt too disjointed to be good. The story was confusing and all over the place, and not even great performances by all involved could keep me interested. Plus, the team depicted in the movie is not the ORIGINAL X-Men team, as would be expected, but rather a clusterfuck of no-namers and third tiers such as Havok (lame) and Banshee, coupled with some laughable perversions of history (who knew Angel was a girl?).

To the young actors' credit, they take what they are given and work with it, making the viewer invested in their characters. For example, Nicholas Hoult (Marcus of About a Boy, all grown up) does an excellent job with the only original member here, Beast. The same can be said for Banshee and Havok, which go beyond their "arrogant jerk" and "emo teen" personas to deliver believable performances. However, as stated, these bits are not enough to save the meandering story, and not even the sight of January "Emma Frost" Jones's scrumptious backside can make it otherwise. Sad, really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rango 3.25/5
Johnny Depp as a talking lizard. Are you sold yet? If so, good, because this movie, while not stellar, does deliver good entertainment. The first third in particular is hilarious, moving at a hyperkinetic (but not annoying) pace, and with every joke hitting its mark, which is rare for animation these days. Behold, if you will, a film from Nickelodeon studios where somebody saying "pull my finger" does NOT result in a fart joke. This type of grown-up approach to animation is symptomatic of this movie's mentality, where animals behave like animals, not talking humans, and even more juvenile moments such as whacks to the face or belts falling down actually manage to be funny. Overall, this could have been a 5/5, if not for - again - the meandering story.

Now, I watched the Extended version, which might have something to do with this point, but the fact is, the story twists and weaves so much that it becomes uninteresting. While the animation is grittily gorgeous (and as close to realistic as you can get in a film about talking Old West animals), the exceedingly complicated plot ends up dragging, and is sure to put the kids (and some parents) to sleep. Which is a shame, because even in this portion, the movie continues to deliver great vocal performances and stunning animation.

All in all, Rango could have been one of the modern-day animation greats, but sadly, its desire to overreach and excel ended up being its greatest flaw instead. Still, it is worth watching, if only because it stars freakin' Johnny Depp as a freakin' talking lizard.

Last edited:

The_King

Reaction score
Valhalla Rising 6/10.
It's from the guy who directed Drive, hence why I watched. It was okay, nothing amazing. It featured a lack of dialogue, and the main character is a mute. It's very odd but very well done in terms of film making. That's about all I can say about it haha.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Rocky 5/5

Fuck all y'all haters! Rocky was the shit! The first one is still my favorite movie of almost all time, but definitely my favorite of all the others. The movie kind of inspired me to be who I am, and not who I want to be, if you get what I mean. Rocky was pretty true to himself, did what he enjoyed, not doing it for cash, but for the love of the sport.

Reactions: 1 person

The_King

Reaction score
Just got back from The Hunger Games. 7/10.
I was pleasantly surprised how bleak it was, and I'm glad that they didn't tone it down for the PG-13 audience. I wasn't a fan of the shaky cam used in the more violent scenes, but I understand it was probably necessary to get the PG-13 rating. Fortunately, it was pretty true to the book, and I'm pretty satisfied with how they portrayed Katniss. Looking forward to part two.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Avengers Assemble (2012) 7.5/10
A very well rounded slice of super heroe action, with a fine mix between comedy and drama, character depth and true tension, and some very good effects and action scenes. The acting is mostly good also with Ruffalo, Downey Jr and Johansson the stand outs. However the Captain America and Thor characters are just bland and instantly forgettable and not enough is done with Hawk. The plot at times felt a little too old hat also. As far as super heroe movies go outside of the recent Batman films and the first Iron Man movie I don't think you are going to get much better than this. Whedon works his magic again!

The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists (2012) 6.5/10
There is a very interesting idea at the heart of this lastest Ardman project, the idea deconstructing the clitches of the screen Pirate and questioning just what reliance they still have today, but the story never really goes anywhere with it. Plus for me the jokes were an akward mix of trying to be knowing and grown up, but also being too goofy, and I think a lot of the movie references (The Elephant Man for example) would go over the targets audiences head. But with this being Ardman the attention to detail and visual design was enough to make the film worth it alone. There were some very entertaining characters and set pieces too. A lesser Ardman, but quite fun none the less.