Stephanie Mcmahon: "HHH almost defined the Attitude Era"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Forbes.com has an article about Triple H and Stephanie McMahon's marriage, with quotes from the power couple. In the article, The Game spoke about the Attitude Era.
"It's one of those things — I've talked about this with Austin and a little bit with Rock, too — you don't realize is happening at the time; it's just what you're doing," said Triple H. "We were all so wrapped up in what we were doing, and it was so competitive with each other. It's only now that I think we can look back and go, 'Wow. That was a pretty special time, and we shared some pretty special things all together and made history.' I think at the time you're doing it, you realize it's going well, but you're just so deep in there that you can't even fathom really what you're doing. To look back at it now and see all those times, and to watch the video game…when we did the voiceovers to the video game, to go back and watch some of those scenes take place, it's crazy because you forget what a…that was just another day then."

Stephanie McMahon stated that Triple H "defined the Attitude Era." Triple H discussed his wife watching his matches.

"It's funny because she knows me so well that she sees the smallest little things in there and when I come back she'll be like, 'Then this happened,'" he said. "She knows all the little intricacies of everything we do and knows me so well that she can see it whether I'm hurt or not hurt. She'll be watching almost more intently than anybody."
HHH is up there with SCSA, The Rock and Foley as a big part of the AE but defined it solely? is a longshot imo,

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Well of course the woman bouncing on his penis would say that. Trips was never the star that Austin and Rock were, those two really defined the attitude era, particularly Austins beating up the boss drunken redneck gimmick.

MaNonTheMoon

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Ok, 2000 was his year. That probably can't be disputed too much. But the entire era? No. Like said above, Rock and Austin were the two who pretty much defined the entire period. Trips was more or less the distant third man of the era.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
She said almost and besides she's complimenting herself since she was by his side most the time on screen

Reaction score
Little known fact: Triple H took Austin aside one time and told him that Ringmaster gimmick would never get over. He explained what he needed to do what do the Texas Redneck thing and said "Why not say Austin 3:16 says I just kicked your ass" at King of the Ring?

When Rock was struggling as this lame baby face, Trips stopped him backstage and said "Rock, this grinning idiot stuff is lame. Get one of those really awful silk shirts, like what they wore on those WB shows a few years ago. Refer to yourself in the third person from now on. He also mentioned he should look into wearing some sort of top while he got that bit of gyno fixed.

Trips came up with the "Choppy Choppy Pee Pee" line at the end of RAW when Kaientai worked that angle with Val Venis.

Triple H drew the logo that was synonymous with the Attitude Era.

Trips got Jericho and Big Show to sign with the WWE before WCW folded.

Triple H composed all the songs that were used to open RAW throughout that time.

Triple H was the ghost writer for all the WWE biographies of that time.

He came up with the names of all the PPVs that were formerly known as "In Your House" before the Attitude Era.

Trips actually came up with the term "Attitude Era".

He's the one that talked Vince out of being the announcer guy and convinced him to become the evil promoter character.

Beer truck was all Trips' idea.

He hired and came up with the Oddities.

He saw how lame that shit was, then had them all fired.

Triple H had nothing to do with Brawl for All.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I understand where she's coming from considering DX was a big part of the attitude era and was "Attitude" before it was labeled as such. In terms of popularity, he's definitely behind Austin and Rock in the era, but it's hard to deny that he was attitude.

Like I said, I understand why she's making the statement, I just don't agree with it

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
People hate Triple H now, so they're going to act like this is the stupidest statement ever, but she's not far off, he didn't really become that big of a deal until Austin and 'Taker went out with injuries, but he definitely made the best of it, I'd say he's obviously behind Austin and Rock, but would put him above 'Taker in terms of who "made" the Attitude Era.

Reaction score
It's a matter of semantics. Degeneration X helped set the tone as far as incorporating dick jokes. At the time it seemed like HBK's thing, but Trips was certainly cutting better promos than HBK at that time. He really wasn't one of the first characters around that period that was pushing the boundaries though. Realistically, it's everyone that makes a promotion.

I just think if one will use the rhetoric that he defined an era, you really need to have those moments that said this is what this period was all about.

Stone Cold and Vince are really the characters that set that tone that epitomized the conflict people the shows were anchored around. There's the first stunner, the beer truck, Stone Cold flipping off Tyson, Bed Pan McMahon, the cement truck and Mr McMahon's Corvette.

Trips made his mark, had his run when Rock and Austin were pulling back due to injuries and outside interests. He was the guy in the latter half of the Attitude Era. But when people are going to think about what that time was about, it was more defined by much larger moments that didn't involve him.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Well, he was part of a group that helped bring in a new era in the WWE, so why wouldn't be? He may not have been as big as Stone Cold or The Rock but he was definitely a big player back then.

Stephanie said that he was a "huge component" of the Attitude Era, and I don't think there's any denying that.

...god...

Reaction score
Lmao, Idk where you linked the news site from or if you did it yourself but I find it absolutely hilarious that the words are twisted to try to make this statement seem more farfetched than it was. What she actually said was "ALMOST defined the Attitude Era" then right after said "He was a huge component of it". All of which is true and she choose her words carefully, so... yeah, thread done.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Trips deserves more credit for staying with WWE after the Attitude Era than for the era itself. Rock and Austin were pretty much done by 2003 and the show belonged to H. So he should be praised for being a true professional instead of this.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
People hate Triple H now, so they're going to act like this is the stupidest statement ever, but she's not far off, he didn't really become that big of a deal until Austin and 'Taker went out with injuries, but he definitely made the best of it, I'd say he's obviously behind Austin and Rock, but would put him above 'Taker in terms of who "made" the Attitude Era.

Triple H has been involved with more stupid statements. This isn't far off, but he's behind Austin and Rock. He was one of the main reasons for an exciting Attitude Era. The dumbest HHH comment ever was probably when he said UFC needed to evolve more than WWE. That was just too funny and ridiculous.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
In my opinion though, his feud with Owen Hart should have been for the world title or something. He was a damn good heel during that time, I really enjoyed his promos. When I think of Triple H and the Attitude Era though, I mainly think of DX.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
In my opinion though, his feud with Owen Hart should have been for the world title or something. He was a damn good heel during that time, I really enjoyed his promos. When I think of Triple H and the Attitude Era though, I mainly think of DX.

I think of his G.O.A.T. 2000 run and then after 5 minutes of marking for that I remember he was part of that silly group of degenerates.