SPOILER - Am I suppose to cheer Cody?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

Ace

Reaction score
It's possible to be a great promo and be able to work a crowd well without feeling like a legit main eventer.

The Miz in WWE is a great example.

Its a good analogy actually - The Miz is more than capable of mixing it up in the main event scene when he's needed to but he's best sitting a peg below it, serving as a gatekeeper of sorts.

And let's be very clear here - Cody's original character was explicitly based on him being the "AEW is the saviour of wrestling" guy - it's a big part of what made him so over so soon.

I'm not saying Cody's bad and would be a nobody without the gimmick - he did good work in Bullet Club, for example - but to ignore the fact that he got a big boost from that original portrayal is equally disingenuous.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
It's possible to be a great promo and be able to work a crowd well without feeling like a legit main eventer.

The Miz in WWE is a great example.

Its a good analogy actually - The Miz is more than capable of mixing it up in the main event scene when he's needed to but he's best sitting a peg below it, serving as a gatekeeper of sorts.

And let's be very clear here - Cody's original character was explicitly based on him being the "AEW is the saviour of wrestling" guy - it's a big part of what made him so over so soon.

I'm not saying Cody's bad and would be a nobody without the gimmick - he did good work in Bullet Club, for example - but to ignore the fact that he got a big boost from that original portrayal is equally disingenuous.

it's not disingenuous, it's because you seem intent on disvaluing a guy's star power because YOU don't like him, and are therefor trying to find excuses as to why he's popular, as opposed to simply accepting the fact he is popular and over.

AEW is well established at this point, and is far removed from being the "Savior" of wrestling ,so again, you need to retire those tropes because they are old and dated.

The fact of the matter is, Cody has been the main event of multiple PPVs and has been a big reason for selling tickets. This isn't at all debatable, no matter which asterix you want to put beside his names because of you own perception of why people cheered for him.

Also in the looks department, you're silly to compare him to the Miz. Cody looks like a pro wrestler through and through, and is the son of a famed wrestler. Miz is a reality tv star who can BARELY work in the ring. Not even close.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
The Miz is great in the ring - not sure why he is even being used as an example of a bad worker.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The Miz is great in the ring - not sure why he is even being used as an example of a bad worker.

GREAT? Idk about that. Respectable and safe, sure.

My main point is call me when Miz puts on a classic liek Dustin Cody or Cody/Aldis. it's not even close

edit: and I like the Miz for the record, great talent.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Not to mention ,the simplest point I should have pointed out to refute, fucking Miz was world champion, TWICE. So I'm not even sure how that doesn't make Miz a main eventer too lmao

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
I think its important to remember that the The Miz was the 2011 #1 PWI wrestler of the year - an award that has never been given someone who is not a legit main-eventer. His stock may have been devalued by bad storylines, but he is hands down one of the best promo guys in the business ever - and for the record, I really don't like him at all but I respect him

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I think its important to remember that the The Miz was the 2011 #1 PWI wrestler of the year - an award that has never been given someone who is not a legit main-eventer. His stock may have been devalued by bad storylines, but he is hands down one of the best promo guys in the business ever - and for the record, I really don't like him at all but I respect him

yeah, I got away from my point while defending cody's status here. Miz has main evented more than one PPV and event, so by definition, he's a main eventer. Doesnt mean hes always treated or booked as such, but by definition, he has been a main eventer more than once in his career. ergo, is capable of being a main eventer

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
And as much as I hate to say it - until Cody actually has a few title runs. AEW is big enough now for a world title run to mean something, as much as you can give him props. The Miz will go down as a bigger name in the business until Cody surpasses him. The stupid storyline of him not being able to challenge for the title is stupid.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
And as much as I hate to say it - until Cody actually has a few title runs. AEW is big enough now for a world title run to mean something, as much as you can give him props. The Miz will go down as a bigger name in the business until Cody surpasses him. The stupid storyline of him not being able to challenge for the title is stupid.

Miz is for sure more accomplished. He's also been in the business what, 15+ years on the main roster?

That being said, I agree with you that stip is dumb. I also agree he's been fairly meh in his new feuds and that since he dropped the TNT title, its been less cool

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
History is paved with lots of could have, should have. The difference between being 'The Dream' and 'The Day Dream'

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Ace

Reaction score
it's not disingenuous, it's because you seem intent on disvaluing a guy's star power because YOU don't like him, and are therefor trying to find excuses as to why he's popular, as opposed to simply accepting the fact he is popular and over.

AEW is well established at this point, and is far removed from being the "Savior" of wrestling ,so again, you need to retire those tropes because they are old and dated.

The fact of the matter is, Cody has been the main event of multiple PPVs and has been a big reason for selling tickets. This isn't at all debatable, no matter which asterix you want to put beside his names because of you own perception of why people cheered for him.

Also in the looks department, you're silly to compare him to the Miz. Cody looks like a pro wrestler through and through, and is the son of a famed wrestler. Miz is a reality tv star who can BARELY work in the ring. Not even close.
I know he's over. I know he's popular. I'm accepting that.

But let's not pretend that a strong gimmick well-placed doesn't have a say in building someone up.

He's been made to feel like a massive deal because he was given a strong gimmick and booked well. That's a good thing, and I'm not trying to argue against that.

I've also made it clear that he is a great all-round worker and can mix it up with main eventers in the main event. But he's not naturally a face-of-the-company type guy in the same vein as other guys AEW have (Kenny Omega, MJF, Jericho, Moxley etc).

That's not to say he's definitively worse than the main eventers, either. Different guys do different roles well, and I think he's best as a gatekeeper-level heel much like how Miz helps guys on the brink get over. It's an important role and I think it's one he is fantastically equipped for.

Like, I think guys like Miz and Dolph Ziggler are more valuable to WWE than guys like Bobby Lashley, Keith Lee, etc etc, because they can help talent after talent ascend to superstardom. And I think Cody can do the same for AEW (he's already doing it - I just think he'd do it even better as a heel).

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Fair enough. I just still feel Cody has more star power than Kenny to "casuals" (and I'm a huge massive humongous Kenny stan), but perhaps that's simply not true anymore since Kenny is kind of the guy in pro wrestling right now alongside Mr. Reigns.

Ace

Reaction score
Fair enough. I just still feel Cody has more star power than Kenny to "casuals" (and I'm a huge massive humongous Kenny stan), but perhaps that's simply not true anymore since Kenny is kind of the guy in pro wrestling right now alongside Mr. Reigns.
Yeah Kenny may not be a great example actually if only because he's a very polarising wrestler - he's definitely unique but i can see some people (the traditional WWE 260lb-watching sorts) finding him geeky rather than charismatic.

(Not me - I'm a Kenny fan)

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Yeah Kenny may not be a great example actually if only because he's a very polarising wrestler - he's definitely unique but i can see some people (the traditional WWE 260lb-watching sorts) finding him geeky rather than charismatic.

(Not me - I'm a Kenny fan)

Yeah exactly. Fortunately, AEW knows what they got with him and are pushing him regardless, cuz Kenny is the fucking man.