Skillz that Killz: TNA - The Talent

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Killz

Reaction score
TNA: The Talent

*I’m going to start this column with somewhat a disclaimer. It’ll be pretty obvious by the next section of this piece that I rate TNA, as a company, below WWE in terms of…well, everything. That is NOT to say I don’t appreciate the TNA product but I’m simply being sensible and it’s obvious that WWE is the big dog in pro wrestling today.*

Ladies and Gentlemen, Killz has Skillz and he’s bringing you something today that’s a little differentiation from my usual show preview columns. With such a long break till Wrestlemania I searched for a topic of discussion and decided upon this one. Certainly TNA booking can be constantly questioned. Certainly, as a business, it’s hard to see how they’re viable and how they’re truly expanding with ratings remaining steady for as long as I can remember and only achieving small spikes as TNA put all their eggs in the basket of one or two BIG time shows per quarter. This doesn’t seem a sensible business option. However, there is, and always has been, one MAJOR redeeming factor for TNA. The talent. In this column I look at the talent TNA have, some of the biggest names and, in my opinion, some of the best wrestlers around that COULD make it in WWE like they do in TNA.

Kurt Angle

kurt-angle.jpg

I’m starting with Kurt because he’s the biggest name on the active TNA roster to have wrestled for WWE and TNA (arguably). Let’s face it, this guy still brings it. He’s a supreme talent and even though questions have been raised about his body, his health and his mental health, he’s still delivered and delivered some of the best matches of his career in TNA in bouts against AJ Styles and Jeff Jarrett. There’s been no room for improvement for years now and all you could really argue is that his constantly pro showings mean his in-ring work and technique perhaps needs a re-invention. At this stage in his career however, it’s unlikely to happen. Could he make it in WWE? It’s a no brainer, of course he could, he’s been there before. In this section though I’d like to question whether Kurt is content seeing out his career with TNA. There are names like Sting who may never see the WWE crowds but he’s been very outspoken against Vince and has a true home in TNA. Whilst Angle put a lot of heat on Vince when he left WWE there has since been, reported, discussions and it looks like it’s all water under the bridge. I’d be interested to see if Kurt was offered a year or two reduced schedule pretty soon with WWE, whether he’d take it. I’d sure love to see him in a WWE ring again and this is one man TNA should continue to throw support and weight behind until his very last match.

AJ Styles

175px-AJ_Styles_in_London_Sep_2008.jpg

We’ll go with a TNA ‘original’ now in AJ Styles. He’s a lot different to Kurt, yes in terms of his in-ring style, but I’m talking career wise. Primarily a TNA guy, with brief spells in NWA and WCW prior to the WWE purchase of World Championship Wrestling, AJ Styles has an almost cult following. It has taken him many years to become comfortable and charismatic with his mic work but he’s been a polished in-ring performer for years now. He really is TNA’s guy, a total utility man up and down the card and a staple of the X-Division when it was at it’s height and world reknowned. He carried the X-Division with the Fallen Angel and Samoa Joe during this time and became a recognised professional wrestling talent, someone any company would be proud to have…perhaps apart from WWE. I think WWE would 100% benefit from having AJ Styles on the books, he can work from all over the ring and has proven he can hang with the best brawlers and technical wrestlers and in main events to boot! I always feared though that his size and mic work kept him from getting a job with WWE post-WCW and since then. Vince doesn’t do much for the smaller guys in the business and since managers are a bygone entity in professional wrestling, AJ would have had to improve his mic work at a much quicker pace had he been with WWE after the fall of WCW. Subsequently I’d suggest Styles to be someone WWE wouldn’t take a risk on but someone I definitely think they SHOULD have on the books.

Sting

6701Sting2.jpg

I hope you don’t expect me to say much here, you know the story. His debut in 1985 and his most recent TNA World Title win are separated by a legendary and iconic run at the top of his game in WCW. You don’t need me to tell you relevance of Sting being the franchise competition to Flair in WCW or the name “Wolfpac†but what you may be interested in hearing is my view on him and WWE. Let’s be reasonable, Sting would be a HUGE draw for the die-hard wrestling fans who support WWE. Would the younger audience know him? Likely not but the PPV buys and ratings for a Sting run in WWE would be huge. I have one small theory though and I think it makes Sting stand out. People say he shouldn’t retired without once being with the biggest pro wrestling company ever and he deserves a Hall of Fame spot (which I agree with) etc but this is a man who never had to step foot in a WWE ring to make an impact, to become a legend. You have to believe that however good it will be for both parties, if WWE met his terms, Sting doesn’t need to be with WWE at all.

‘Pope’ D’Angelo Dinero and Matt Morgan

wrestling-pope-290x193.jpg
matt_morgan.jpg

I’m going to look at two younger guys now who were with WWE for a short time and since jumped ship to TNA. These are two guys WWE really dropped the ball on I think. Being given heavy mic time and a big push last year the Pope proved he could go in the ring with the best of them and has been a #1 contender to the TNA World title. Matt Morgan, too, has been #1 contender and has something particularly unique about him. He’s not as charismatic or athletic or as easy to get into like Pope is, it’s very easy to engage with Pope and to find him entertaining, but Matt Morgan is a giant. He’s a giant who is BUILT and can go with a surprising amount of speed and athleticism for a man of his stature. When you consider built, muscular giants you look at Kane and the Undertaker and you realise that this type of wrestler is somewhat a dying breed. There are still monsters like Mark Henry or the Big Show but they have one look and it’s being both large around the waist as in terms of height. They are truly effective superstars but there is a void being left by these aging stars that Morgan could easily fill.

Robert Roode

Robert-Roode-tna-superstar-7.jpg

Here’s my pick for someone who could really have a future with WWE if they saw the same potential I do. This man is built, he is athletic, he is comfortable on the mic in live situations, not just on tapings, and he has a tremendous look. His gimmick isn’t emphasised in TNA but look at how HUGE a star he’s become in TNA without having a discernable gimmick since being part of the Beer Money tag-team and with primarily competing in tag-team wrestling. He shows MORE than enough talent between those ropes, his intensity coupled with his power, to show that a major run as a singles superstar is likely not far away. He reminds me of a young Triple H in terms of his look, in-ring style and mic work and if you’re compared to Hunter, you pretty much bring it on every level in that ring. If I was in charge of WWE talent? Be ready for a phone call tomorrow morning Rob.

*Those are guys who I wanted to touch on specifically. You can make arguments for other talent such as James Storm and Samoa Joe perhaps but I don’t think they hold up as well next to the likes of AJ and Robert Roode. Still, worth an honourable mention :p *

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Another great column Killz.

Kurt Angle - How many years has it been since WWE released him? Feels like forever since he was in a WWE ring wrestling as part of the ECW brand. It just shows how this reduced schedule has helped his body, it also shows how determined Angle is to continue wrestling for many more years even though he has done more than enough. Will he be back in the WWE one day? I do think that he will be in the HOF so he will be back for that and a DVD but I have my doubts that we will see him wrestle again for WWE.

AJ Styles - It shows the loyalty that AJ Styles has to TNA that he hasn't left yet. I am sure that over the past few years WWE have sent out feelers to his people about what money it would take for him to make the move but they never succeed because AJ wants to remain loyal to TNA and build that brand. Would be a big addition to WWE especially now that he has found his voice in recent years. Would be a huge blow for TNA if he decided to switch to WWE, would hurt moral a lot since he has been there since the beginning. Would be an automatic maineventer in WWE regardless of his size.

Sting - One match is all I want from Sting in WWE. He is getting on in age but he can bring it for just one match, twenty minutes in a WWE ring.

Pope - I never understood why he was released. Went from running New Breed to doing nothing in the space of no time. Could have been a big player in WWE and again I don't know the reason behind his release and whoever released him should be fired. He is the future of TNA even with his eccentric gimmick. At this stage in WWE would have been in a similar position to a McIntyre or R-Truth, just below the mainevent.

Morgan - WWE book him as a bodyguard with a stutter. TNA book him as a monster, a huge guy that can actually wrestle. Well done to TNA for getting everything out of this guy and for giving him a second chance. Again once some of the older guys like Sting, Angle etc. move out of the way Morgan will get his chance to rule TNA. With Kane, Undertaker, Show, Henry, Khali all getting old and not having much time left Morgan would have been the perfect guy to replace them.

Roode - I thought that once Team Canada split he would become a breakout star and would be in the mainevent in no time. Unfortunately that didn't happen and he was thrown into a long feud with Eric Young. His teaming with Storm was surprising but has worked out better than anyone could have predicted. Like you said he has become huge as a tag team wrestler the final step is becoming a singles star. I thought that he was ready four years ago so four years later he should be more than capable of making it big as a singles star. The only issue is finding a spot for him in the TNA title scene. In WWE he would probably get more of a chance as a singles wrestler and that may be enough to tempt him away.

I can't disagree with your list. James Storm I see as just a tag team wrestler. Samoa Joe has had a terrible last few years in TNA and his value has diminished by a lot since his debut in TNA where he was the hottest thing in the company. In the future on TNA wrestler I think that everyone should look out for is Magnus, I don't think that he has been used correctly so far in TNA, they were unlucky that Desmond Wolfe came down with some mysterious illness that put a stop to their tag team. I think that Magnus could be a huge star in a couple of years.

Killz

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with all your sentiments Troy, thanks for the feedback! The only thing, whilst I agree with it in one sense, is that I wouldn't want to see Sting tarnish any legacy he has by spending another year with TNA and then stinking out the joint for a one time match. Some people may see he's too big a name to stink it up even if he had a shoddy match but I wouldn't want to take the risk. He needs to have his shining moment with WWE imminently if it is to happen. Just while he can still go.

You raise a great name I glossed over in my shortlist. I LOVE Magnus and I was so pumped to hear he was teaming with Wolfe but now that we've only seen him once or twice since then on TNA television it seems like he's lost in the shuffle. He's obviously putting so much time in because he started with just the body and a hint of natural charisma. They've groomed his mic work and now his charisma is really shining through and he improved every match back as the British Invasion. He needs to be back on TV permanently so he can continue to develop. In terms of WWE I think he's a guy who can be a huge homegrown TNA talent but wouldn't translate well onto WWE tv unless he had a LOT of backing and the opportunity to try out a few gimmicks and angles that would perhaps differ from the typical 'posh englishman invading your country' gimmick our stars tend to get stuck with.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am sure that on the big stage, I assume if Sting ever wrestles for WWE it will be at WrestleMania, Sting will be able to wrestle an awesome match. He won't want to end his career on a low, he and whoever he faces would ensure that it is an excellent match. This year did seem like the perfect time for it to happen with WM being in Atlanta but there is always next year. In the end he may want to simply be known as the biggest star that never worked for WWE and may never want to work for them.

Unfortunately I don't think creative are imaginative enough to book an englishman any different. They have to be a heel, they have to dislike America and they have to be posh. Some imagination would be great since the guy has all the talent required he has the look, the wrestling talent and he is a good talker. I hope that TNA actually come up with something for him rather than waiting endlessly for Wolfe to return. Magnus has lost all of his momentum and pretty much has to start again in TNA building up a base.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Great read Killa.

Definitely agree with what you have to say, particuarly about Roode. He could be a heel in a similar vein to the way Triple H was if they push him in the correct manner.