• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Save the United States Championship

Slim

Honestly when I got to this thread I was hoping the answer would be told as to who the US champion was cause I honestly had no idea who was champion anymore. It like the belts no longer matter. The WWE title hardly matters, the world title barely matters, the IC title at least got a change so it matters a little bit, the US title is buried into oblivion and the tag champs got dominated by one guy... then again that is IF Kofi and Truth are still the tag champs... again I don't remember.

But once upon a time you knew who the champs were. You even knew who the European and Hardcore champion was. You knew who the light-heavyweight champion was, and you knew who the women's champion was. I mean yeah the belts were lower mid and the such but you knew who the champs were. Now everyone blends together and all look the same so its like... who is champ this week? I mean with Ziggles was champ it was fresh. It was good cause he defended it, he put on good matches, he was starting to really stand out. When Ryder won it, that's when it started to sink cause Ziggles was just good as the champ. He was a good wrestler and I mean it was entertaining. Ryder, meh. Then it went to bland Swagger who at one time was a former world heavyweight champion. I mean that should have been a step up for the belt but instead it was a step down. And now... now its on Santino and they need to just rebrand him. He has been doin the exact same thing for years now. The guy CAN wrestle and CAN be extremely good if given a chance but he isn't given that chance but instead is relegated to the same crap. COBRA! I mean come on... let him cut loose.

the IC title was losing a lot of credibility and then Cody won it and it was starting to look good and then he changed the belt to the classic look and I mean everyone took notice. That was when they should have really pushed it but instead they stuck to the exact same format but just a new looking belt and albeit it did take a step up with the belt change it only went up a little bit. And now the champ is... ... I know Big Show won it but who is champ now?

Anyways... unless they build these belts around the champions actually having good matches and winning they will continue to mean and be nothing.

JMobile

Give the title back to the Miz so he can give it a good showcase again.

If Santino had a serious finisher, I believe that the title wouldn't have much discussion right now.

The Cork

Banned
Rated R had the best idea in the thread.

I hate stereotypical Arab gimmicks and "canada is betta than USA guis", but Lance Storms trolling in WCW was brilliant to watch.

I think they should honestly have a foreigner who is extremely anti-American, get them over as a heel by having the belt, and have an American challenge for it, and lose almost all the time. American fans love to hate the foreigners who hate America.
That sounds like a Del Rio repackaging idea.

Troy

Give the title back to the Miz so he can give it a good showcase again.

If Santino had a serious finisher, I believe that the title wouldn't have much discussion right now.

If it was me I would have given Miz the title when they wrestled on the pre show for Extreme Rules. That would have been a way to kickstart Miz's push again as a legitimate contender and he would have been a better champion.

Cwalker

I don't think putting the belt on Miz would make it any less of a joke than it is now. Miz is no where near credible and I doubt there are plans to push him until Marine 3 comes out.

I always thought the Anti American gimmick was easy heat. But I don't think there has been a real good guy in that role since Muhammed Hassan.

So unless Jinder Mahal becomes this real over anti American, I can't see that. If it does happen, I say give him the belt and let him run with it before turning Swagger face and putting the belt back on the All American American. He could claim that only a true American could hold that title.

The title just needs storylines to make it interesting. More defenses, more relevance. People say Cody Rhodes made the IC title important, but he only defended it like 5 times between his two reigns. It was because he was involved in feuds with Show, Booker T etc as opposed to having random matches

Troy

The Miz at Extreme Rules had started to turn the corner by actually winning some matches. Miz was the one who got the winning pin for Team Johnny at WM and then he had some wins on RAW leading up to the Extreme Rules PPV. A title win then would have made a lot more sense and would have caught Miz on the rise and at a time when he was a bit more credible since he did win at WM.

With regards to the anti-American easy heat WWE kind of screwed themselves over with how successful they were with Muhammad Hassan and they didn't get their timings right. They are probably too scared to go that over the top these days because people like to freak out about everything and would try to ban the gimmick from the show like they did with Hassan.

Troy

Santino Challenges Ricardo to Tuxedo Match

That is the headline that awaited me today. Just when you think that the US title couldn't mean any less, WWE books a tuxedo match. I don't know if the title can survive being degraded this badly, it literally means nothing now as fans can't take it seriously. Let me guess WWE will give Hornswoggle the title next so that they can end it just like the did with the Crusierweight title.

I don't understand why WWE don't give the title to one of the many new wrestlers on undefeated streaks; Ryback, Damien Sandow, Antonio Cesaro, Brodus Clay or even Sin Cara. Any of those five could do more with the title than Santino.

Aniking

Santino Challenges Ricardo to Tuxedo Match

That is the headline that awaited me today. Just when you think that the US title couldn't mean any less, WWE books a tuxedo match. I don't know if the title can survive being degraded this badly, it literally means nothing now as fans can't take it seriously. Let me guess WWE will give Hornswoggle the title next so that they can end it just like the did with the Crusierweight title.

I agree with this 100%. It's so sad to see what the United States Championship has become since Dolph Ziggler's reign, and the same can even be said for Ziggler.

I think the reign ended at the right time, but Ziggler's momentum fizzled out too fast and once again the United States title was put on the back burner so to speak. Ziggler lost the title, had no rematch and was immediately pushed into the WWE Championship scene where he had one title match and ever since has done nothing of note. Actually, his only highlight since the WWE Championship match has been becoming number one contender to the World Heavyweight Championship last week, and even then it only came through Del Rio's injury. That WWE Championship match took place at the Royal Rumble.

As for the title, it went to Ryder, whose reign only lasted four weeks because it bombed. He was the right guy to give the title to at the time, but he wasn't booked overly well and it didn't help he's a bit of a goof too. They made the move to give the title to Swagger, but that was even worse because he constantly lost and did absolutely nothing, going as far as not even being booked in any form some weeks. Eventually the WWE realise that they'd screwed up his seven week reign too, so then they give it to Santino Marella, seeing how he was really getting over with the crowd at the time. The thing is that momentum died long ago, and now the title is at it's lowest point for some time. I'd say it's lowest point since Bret Hart beat The Miz for the title, ending Miz's awesome (no pun intended) 224 day reign. Hart was champion for a week, vacated it, only to have Truth win it over The Miz, yet lose it three weeks later to The Miz anyway, then Miz goes on to hold the title for another 97 days. That's two pointless reigns - the first because they were in fucking Canada and wanted the feel good factor, and the other for god knows why.

The WWE has serious issues when it comes to booking feuds outside of the two World Championships plus John Cena, Randy Orton, and any other big name face who's not in the title picture. It's terrible.

I don't understand why WWE don't give the title to one of the many new wrestlers on undefeated streaks; Ryback, Damien Sandow, Antonio Cesaro, Brodus Clay or even Sin Cara. Any of those five could do more with the title than Santino.

Something that I'm surprised the WWE has resisted doing is putting a Raw championship on a Smackdown superstar, or vice versa, seeing how the Supershow is STILL in place. If they're sticking with that, I'm afraid all five of those names you listed are Smackdown superstars, which is actually very encouraging for the Intercontinental Championship... but it's potential they'll never grab hold of. Sad.

In case any of you were wondering, Brodus Clay was moved to Smackdown a week or two ago. They actually gave a storyline reason on Smackdown, so if you haven't seen it yet, spoiler alert!

Clay cuts a short promo explaining that Laurianaitis has banned him from Raw.

Irish Mark

Banned
There is no doubt in my mind that the United States title is beyond salvageable. If I were booking, I'd have Antonio Cesaro beat Santino, cut a promo about how Europe is superior to the USA (which it is) and replace the US title with a new look European Championship. I'd have various guys challenging for the title and make it more a matter of national pride than a mid card title. How else better to create babyfaces than have them defend the honour of America and let those dumbass yank fans chant USA! USA! USA! This could even get Jack Swagger over....as a face!!

DashX

First I would get the title off of Santino, a comedy character shouldn't have a title for as long as he has had the US title. Then have the title defended at least once a month, and give the champions long reigns.

Honestly, why not give it so a massive guy? Give John Cena another reign with the belt. Does he need it? Nope, but the championship does... this might be a first.. a champion needs a wrestler more than a wrestler needs a championship...

But seriously, all attention will be put on the United States championship due to the popularity of Cena and also the shock that he actually won it. Then, when the next guy beats Cena for the belt, that will put him over massively.

Oh, and I'm only using John Cena as an example.. probably the best example I can use considering he really has nothing to do in the business any more. He has done everything now

Slim

As far as the US title goes... it needs to go around the waist of a good character. Good as in not necessarily a face but someone that matters. Santino doesn't matter so his reign needs to be cut if he is still champion. It's pathetic. Like when Miz held the belt for as long as he did... that belt mattered cause he carried himself in such a way that it mattered. Santino carrying it... its like a joke. A bad sad joke.

So firstly change the champion to someone that matters, doesn't even have to be a main eventer but you know... like before to someone on the cusp. But it needs more than that... it needs FEUDS! Matches with a point, matches that matter. So that when that person winds up going against a world champion it isn't gonna be automatically assumed that they will lose or if they win it is gonna be a fluke victory. I mean look back in the days when the IC title was held by perfect, Bret, HBK, Razor, Trips, Rock, Austin. I mean the belt meant somethin and if they were involved in a big feud, if they were to be in the ring with the champ they looked like they belonged. You stick Santino in there with CM Punk or Sheamus and you're like... what in the bluest of blue hell is going on here?

The US title needs a legit champion, it needs good matches that actually get televised. It needs someone that can speak. The belt is just floundering around doing nothing but collecting dust and nothing more than a sad prop then what it once stood for. I mean Ziggler is almost at the cusp but it just isn't there. Put the belt back on him for a good while. Give it to Kofi, Christian could be a real good champion. It just needs to change hands for one. Then we can talk about feuds and matches for the belt. That way in the end... the belt will at least somewhat matter.