ROH Border Wars 2013 Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
SMALL_050413_BORDER_WARS_POSTER_V3.jpg

Card:

ROH World Championship
Jay Briscoe vs. Adam Cole

Pro Wrestling NOAH vs. Ring of Honor
Taiji Ishimori vs. Eddie Edwards

First Time Ever
Paul London vs. Davey Richards

ROH World TV Championship
Matt Taven w/ Truth Martini vs. Mark Briscoe

I Quit Match
BJ Whitmer vs. Rhett Titus

ROH vs S.C.U.M
Michael Elgin & Jay Lethal vs. 2 SCUM Members of Steve Corino's choosing

Special Tag Team Challenge Match
Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs ACH & Tadarius Thomas​

Show is just a week away, so I thought I'd post a discussion thread for it myself.

Card is pretty stacked now and I think there's a lot of promising matches. I was a bit disappointed to hear Marafuji drop out due to injury but Paul London is a pretty good replacement. I saw a clip of him during PWG's last show and he looked in good shape so I'm expecting an exciting match between him and Richards.

Also looking really forward to Briscoe/Cole. I know Edwards/Ishimori and Richards/London have higher expectations but I think the main event has the potential to be MOTN.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Ishimori/Edwards sounds good to me, I don't care much for the rest of the card. Titus/Whitmer could be nice and brutal but I won't get my hopes up for that.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Looks a very interesting card, yeah London/Richards does kind of stand out, but seems like their are many fresh matches and always good see a "I Quit" match booked.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
briscoebros
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
nxt
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
wheres steen??????????

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
So is anyone ordering this? Am still considering it.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I'm still undecided. The card looks good, but the iPPV issues ROH have are slightly turning me off buying it. I'm thinking of waiting until after the show to read about the results and reactions. If it's good I might buy the replay or the DVD when it comes out.

That said, as the show draws closer I could well end up buying it last minute, which is something I've done quite a few times by now.

Reaction score
I was going to buy it but considering they get Paul London as a replacement for Marufuji, my interest in the PPV has fallen dramatically. Seriously, are you telling me Noah didn't have anyone else they could of sent across? KENTA, Morishama, Suigira... Poor poor choice in Paul London when they was many more better options for Davey Richards to face.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
The only reason I can think of is that it was probably too short a notice to get someone from Noah in after Marafuji got injured.

I would have preferred Marafuji at the show, but don't mind London coming in to face Richards. He was really popular during his stint in ROH and by the looks of things he looks pretty motivated going into the match, which is something you couldn't always guarantee with him in the past.

Weez

Reaction score
Paul London.. I miss the beard.

But London/Richards looks promising, and I agree, Jay and Cole could steal the MOTN that night. I'd really like to see C&C vs ACH and TD. It'll be a stupid, crazy spotfest, but it'll be fun to watch lol. Taven and Mark could be fun. I like Taven's work, but he needs a new finisher, that Modified ddt bulldog thing looks awful.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
This Ishimori/Edwards match :mark:

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Ended up getting the show in the end. I forgot that I received a $5 off ROH after the iPPV issues last month so the show only cost me around €8 in the end. I thought it was a solid show overall.

Like last month, the opening bout featuring ACH and Tadarius Thomas was a fun watch. I've also got to give credit to C&C Factory. I may not like them that much but they put on a good performance here.

Enjoyed the match between Bennett and Roderick Strong. It was certainly one of Bennett's better matches, and both clicked fairly well. The outside interference from Cheeseburger was also pretty funny in the end.

Titus/Whitmer was a complete mess. The "I Quit" stipulation was pretty unnecessary because there was no intensity in the match at all. The ending didn't make any sense either. I have no idea why Whitmer didn't just hit Corino and Titus with the chair when he had the chance. I get what Corino was trying to do sacrificing himself, but it made no sense as to why Whitmer just stood there.

The tag team match between Lethal/Elgin and Jacobs/Compton was good. Jacobs and Compton didn't do a whole lot (especially Compton, who seems unbelievably average in the ring) and the injury angle with Lethal slowed things down a bit, but Elgin taking on both men by himself, followed by the introduction of Steen into the match made it really exciting.

Edwards vs. Ishimori was easily the MOTN. That was my first time seeing Ishimori in a full match and I was highly impressed with what I saw from him. Both men put on a great fast paced match that had a a lot of excitement, near falls and some perfectly executed moves. I really hope we see more from Ishimori (and more Noah guys in ROH for that matter).

Taven vs. Matt Briscoe had its moments. Although the only thing this match will be remembered for was when two of the Hoopla girls started making out. People may complain about the finish, and how Taven is being booked as TV champion, but this sort of stuff is just something you have to expect from them. They're a really sleazy group, and to be honest, they're pulling it off quite well.

Richards vs. London was insane. The match was pretty solid and both men seemed to be building it up to a nice climax, and then Richards kind of knocked the shit out of London my overshooting a double stomp off the top rope and landed straight on his face. London somehow continued on with the match (I really have to question the referee on how he kept it going) and attempted a Shooting Star Press on Richards, but landed chest first on his knees. It really was crazy stuff all round.

Briscoe vs. Cole was a really enjoyable match. It certainly could have been better, and having yet another interference from SCUM almost felt like too much at that point, but it served its purpose in the way of a possible Cole heel turn so I really can't complain. And besides the big angle involving Cole and SCUM, the match also told a good story of Cole working on the knee of Jay so he could apply his Figure 4, which was a good change of pace from the style of all the other matches on the card.

Show definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Ended up getting the show in the end. I forgot that I received a $5 off ROH after the iPPV issues last month so the show only cost me around €8 in the end. I thought it was a solid show overall.

Like last month, the opening bout featuring ACH and Tadarius Thomas was a fun watch. I've also got to give credit to C&C Factory. I may not like them that much but they put on a good performance here.

Enjoyed the match between Bennett and Roderick Strong. It was certainly one of Bennett's better matches, and both clicked fairly well. The outside interference from Cheeseburger was also pretty funny in the end.

Titus/Whitmer was a complete mess. The "I Quit" stipulation was pretty unnecessary because there was no intensity in the match at all. The ending didn't make any sense either. I have no idea why Whitmer didn't just hit Corino and Titus with the chair when he had the chance. I get what Corino was trying to do sacrificing himself, but it made no sense as to why Whitmer just stood there.

The tag team match between Lethal/Elgin and Jacobs/Compton was good. Jacobs and Compton didn't do a whole lot (especially Compton, who seems unbelievably average in the ring) and the injury angle with Lethal slowed things down a bit, but Elgin taking on both men by himself, followed by the introduction of Steen into the match made it really exciting.

Edwards vs. Ishimori was easily the MOTN. That was my first time seeing Ishimori in a full match and I was highly impressed with what I saw from him. Both men put on a great fast paced match that had a a lot of excitement, near falls and some perfectly executed moves. I really hope we see more from Ishimori (and more Noah guys in ROH for that matter).

Taven vs. Matt Briscoe had its moments. Although the only thing this match will be remembered for was when two of the Hoopla girls started making out. People may complain about the finish, and how Taven is being booked as TV champion, but this sort of stuff is just something you have to expect from them. They're a really sleazy group, and to be honest, they're pulling it off quite well.

Richards vs. London was insane. The match was pretty solid and both men seemed to be building it up to a nice climax, and then Richards kind of knocked the shit out of London my overshooting a double stomp off the top rope and landed straight on his face. London somehow continued on with the match (I really have to question the referee on how he kept it going) and attempted a Shooting Star Press on Richards, but landed chest first on his knees. It really was crazy stuff all round.

Briscoe vs. Cole was a really enjoyable match. It certainly could have been better, and having yet another interference from SCUM almost felt like too much at that point, but it served its purpose in the way of a possible Cole heel turn so I really can't complain. And besides the big angle involving Cole and SCUM, the match also told a good story of Cole working on the knee of Jay so he could apply his Figure 4, which was a good change of pace from the style of all the other matches on the card.

Show definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

Nice review based on that think I will check out the replay, it has been awhile now since I ordered a ROH event.