Retro Gaming

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that a lot of stores that buy/sell/trade are starting to carry an inventory of retro games, Nintendo has been doing this as well with the Virtual Consoles, and we are seeing a lot of retro remakes, or even new games designed to look and feel like retro games.

Being a product of the 80's myself, I have a fond memory of my Sega Mastersystem, Collecovision, and NES, and with recent games like Hotline Miami, and Retro City Rampage I am starting to get nostalgic all over again. Some of these new remakes, or relaunches are falling flat for me though, as Double Dragon Neon atleast felt like DD, but personally felt Tommy Tallarico(composer for Earthworm Jim) would have done a better job on recreating the music for this one, and then there is always the online multiplayer Castlevania that came out on XBLA & PSN, that lacked absolutely everything that made Castlevania games great, while Shadow Complex brought back the Metroid-Vania gameplay in a great way.

So my question to you is, what games from the 8-32bit era do you have fond memories of, and what forgotten gems would you love to see get the retro treatment?

Weez

Reaction score
Man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair was brilliant. It had the classic feel with not feeling dated. It was perfect and I played it off and on for a couple years lol. 200/200.

That's the problem I have with "Retro gaming." Much like a trip down memory lane, the length of time from them actually increases the fondness. Go play the original Doom. I did, on the 360, and I couldn't play it. I couldn't get used to not using the twin sticks, the generic awful aiming.

When they remake games, they SHOULD be giving them more than HD Graphics. Some modern conveniences due to new tech or upgraded controllers doesn't hurt. I want more than a fresh coat of paint on an old junker car. The only genre of gaming that I think hasn't suffered from time is the side scroller. It's nearly impossible to improve on the formula to begin with, especially if you've played Mario 3, so it's just more of the same. IE: Braid was brilliant.

Reactions: Chris

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'm just waiting for there to be Battle Toads out again. That's all I want. I miss it.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
My favorite thing about the Metroid-Vania style games is the time spent exploring for every single secret, every power-up, and the feeling of being absolutely alone. Harmony of Despair failed at every one of those, it streamlined the action, and adding so many characters made it feel more like Final Fight, or Streets of Rage. I still had fun playing it, but not nearly as much as I did playing Symphony of the Night, which is the last great Castlevania.

Puzzle games, racing games, and RPG's have all really maxed out. The only thing that ever seems to change with them is graphically. I still play Tetris on my NES everytime I get around to hooking it up.

BATTLETOADS!, I both loved and hated those games, either I made it past the "decent" levels, or I died there every damned time. Double Dragon/Battletoads would have to be my favorite.

I really hope they do something with Boogerman, I couldn't get enough of that game, sitting around in a haze of smoke hoarking loogies at the baddies was a great way to pass some long, boring days. Clayfighter 64 was the last time the character was even used.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
yeah the Battletoads/Double Dragon was something special. Just a remake of that... would be awesome.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
I loved playing Quake 2, if that counts as retro gaming. I bought Quake 4 for the Xbox 360 a while back (which is shit btw) and was very pleased to see that Quake 2 was included with the game. Naturally I spent more time on Quake 2 and I had a blast with it, but I just wished that Quake 4 had better gameplay.

Ben

Reaction score
Micro Machines for the SNES game was ridiculous amounts of fun especially with a friend would love to see a relaunch of it.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Going be downloading Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion & Ducktails: Remastered for PSN today(thankfully its a new billing month), as together they are only about $10 for Plus members. And I am debating on grabbing Dragon Fantasy, Book one is an 8-bit homage to RPG's, while Book Two is a 16-bit.

Also, thanks to GOG I will be playing a lot of Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics!

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Also, thanks to GOG I will be playing a lot of Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics!

lol I made an account just to get those for free. Haven't even played them yet though.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
lol I made an account just to get those for free. Haven't even played them yet though.

I haven't played them yet either, put them on the queue so I could get them today. And it was a good thing I did as they are not even available on GOG anymore.

Cant wait to get into these games, I got the chance to borrow Fallout 1 from a friend years ago, but I just wasn't into the whole turn based strategy games back then. After spending years playing Civilization, and various Warhammer games I think its about time to really put some time into this series. I absolutely loved 3 & New Vegas, and cant wait for 4 set in Mass.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
Two Words: Duck Hunt...and please...PLEASE let us shoot that god damned dog this time.

Twitchy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
heathslater
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
alsnow