Rate the wrestler

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
Agreed Enzo. Hayes could talk the streak just as good as any in his day. Very charismatic and played right to the fans. Don't get me wrong, I love the Freebirds with Gordy and Roberts, but I still loved the Freebirds late version in NWA/WCW with Hayes and Jimmy "Jam" Garvin. Very underrated tagteam, coming out with DDP and Big Daddy Dink.

2 Cold Scorpio. Solid 7-8. I've read a lot about him where he was one of those guys who could easily have been a top guy, but his work ethic wasn't all that great. The guy did moves that he didn't even look like he could perform. This, at least to me, was a guy WWE missed the boat on (same as Taz). Putting the Flash Funk gimmick on him was horrible. I understand WWF trying to make stars their "own" back then, but wow, just leave Scorpio alone. Sort of reminds me of Ron "R-Truth" Killings of today. If they had really given Scorpio a push in WWF, I could have seen him as IC Champ with no problems at all. When I first seen him come on WCW, I loved the guy. I didn't get to see much of his ECW work until DVD's, because the Detroit area barely got any ECW syndication.

Next up: "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff

Reaction score
I'm not touching Ivan. I really only saw his run as the patriarch Russian when he and Nikita were running wild in Crockett and later when they added Krusher Kruschev and I've seen some of his stuff on some of those old AWA shows they run on ESPN Classic so I'm basically exposed to the later half of his career and know little to nothing about his prime WWF days. S someone else is going to have to rate this cat...

Reaction score
The idea is that you rate the person above yous wrestler.. Ill pick someone else:

Kofi Kingston: I honestly doubt he's going to make it into the main event scene. I think he's doing good as a mid-card guy feuding with Ziggler but I don't think he will ever be in the main event. He came very close last year, and his promo was amazing that he cut (I prefer him as a bad guy) but he never exactly made it as he was squashed by Orton.

Next Wrestler: Dolph Ziggler

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Ziggler get's a 5.5/10 from me, he isn't a half bad worker in the ring or on the mic, I am glad he dropped the wole "Hi, I'm Dolph Ziggler" shit, but he still has a way to go imo before he gets a character that will carry him past the IC title, his more aggresive character is cool and I am liking his matches with Kofi, but the Vickie/Ziggler angle is nothing more than a way to get him cheap heat (which Vickie is the master of nowadays) I like his in-ring work and I think he has potential, maybe not World title potential, but he could be a solid mid-carder for years to come.

Cody Rhodes

Reaction score
Rhodes is a 7/10. He's got good wrestling skills and his promos are good, He also has a fantastic gimmick. He is teaming with McIntyre currently which looks promising. I would love a mid-card title shot for him (Obviously he can't face Ziggler due to the heel/heel no-go zone.

Next Wrestler: Hulk Hogan.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
Hulk is a 9.5-10. Biggest face of all time and shocks the world launching nWo. Several title reigns a long ass career, wrestled many greats, and put on some great matches.

next: "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig

Reaction score
The idea is that you rate the person above yous wrestler.. Ill pick someone else:
Really???

Someone else is going to have to rate this cat...

Like this thread hasn't been done before and didn't go fifty or so pages. I was just saying I wasn't the appropriate person to rate him and honestly probably the only people on this board who are truly qualified or actually know who Ivan Koloff is on this board without having to Wiki him is Pumpt and maybe Airfixx and HTK. Shhhh.

Didn't we already do Hennig? If not, he's a 7.25. Great charisma, good worker. His best stuff was his late AWA stuff and his early WWE stuff and his best match was against Nick Bockwinkel. After his back issues in the early 90's he was never quite the same wrestler and only had two good matches, one with HBK, the other with Bret. In WCW he was a complete dud and got lost in the shuffle and people tend to over rate him without even considering or knowing much about him or his best work. If he had more longevity he'd be an 8 or higher.

I'd like to throw some puro names, but there's not enough Jap snobs out here so... Dean fuckin Malenko

pumpt73

Reaction score
Dean is a 9-9.5 easily. I never got to see much of his ECW work just because the Detroit area would only get syndicated ECW every two weeks and it was on the smallest station in town at 3AM, Sunday morning/Saturday night. One night Im watching WCW and Dean Malenko comes out. Im floored at what I just watched. Fluid, artful, and pure mastery of his craft. Dean's wrestling is second to none. I preferred the Iceman nickhame to the Man of 1000 Holds. Iceman just fit him. His walk to the ring, his stare, his demeanor, etc, all meant he meant business.

Dean didn't need pretty trunks, flashy music, a bunch of catchphrases to get over. He just had to go to the ring, where you were just drawn into watching the guy. Another talent that, to this day, I haven't heard a bad word uttered about him. Dean wasn't great on the mic, but he could hold his own. Straight, concise, and to the point, he was just fine at the talking end. But his type of wrestling is rare and comes along only so often. Put him in the ring with his closest competitors like Eddie, Benoit, and Jericho, and you knew just to sit back and enjoy.

Later on, Dean was a very fitting piece in the final edition of The Four Horsemen. Dean fit the bill. He became the new Arn Anderson of the group. Dean could pick out a bodypart, and just go to work on it.

It's a rare thing these days where a wrestler comes along and can impress on just his wrestling abilities alone. Dean was one of those guys. Not saying he didn't have a complete package, because he did. But Dean had the intangibles down as well. Timing, where and when to do chain wrestling, etc. Honestly, if used correctly, like Eddie and Benoit, I think he could have had a small run as champ because he was that believable in the ring.

NEXT!!!: Terry Funk

Reaction score
3/10.

I have never seen a Terry Funk match prior to 1980; I have also only seen him involved in hardcore matches (Which are incredibly easy as it doesn't involve any actual talent except for the talent to be able to walk around swinging weapons.

Next Wrestler: Sabu.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
We already did Sabu. So ill do one.

Mr. Anderson- 6 atm, decent promos, decent ringwork, but not quite the most ambitious worked and TNA also hasn't been doing him justice, also a lame finisher. Not to mention the fact he dropped out of the main event scene.

next: Perry Saturn

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Saturn get's a solid 7 from me. I didn't see too much of his ECW run because back in the 90s my area didn't get much ECW syndication, and if it was it was like 4AM Sunday mornings and shit, my first memories of Saturn were in his feud with Raven in wCw, which was phenomenal, I don't recall the two of them having a bad match. He also had a pretty good run with that faction ran by Shane Douglas with Benoit and Malenko, I think it was called Revolution or something like that? But I think his feud with Malenko and Benoit was way better.

Then you get into the Radicalz when he, Benoit, Malenko and Eddie all jumped to the WWF, which was right around the time I was starting to fully understand the wCw/WWF 'war' (I was like 9 at the time) and the way they came in and were really all able to find success relatively quick was pretty cool, it was just a shame that after that inital Radicalz run and the Euro title he kind of slipped into a comedy act with Moppy. After that I don't remember seeing much of him.

Next:
D'Lo Brown

imported_Adam

Reaction score
It was called the revolution.

D'Lo gets a 7 from me because i've always liked his in-ring skills and promo work. Sometimes his promos have been a bit annoying but he's always fun to see. Him retiring and being a road agent dissapointed me but its probably best for him at his age to spend time with his family and do other things he wants to do while still being in the wrestling business. I thought he could be a world champ one day but i guess i was wrong. He was good in his original WWE run and finely tuned his skills even more on the indies. His second WWE stint was ..meh.. because he was barely used.

next: Chris Benoit

Don't know if we've done him or not so if we have, Steve Corino.

Reaction score
I'm going to totally do Benoit objectively due to him being my former favorite wrestler and almost killing wrestling for me...

So, Benoit, hands down, was the best straight worker from a wrestling aspect in North America from 98 till his death. No one put more into their efforts than him. What holds him back is his inability to talk but from 02-05 he was legit over enough to warrant his WHC run, including that standing ovation he was given for carrying (yes, he fucking carried) Kurt Angle to Angle's best match ever @ Royal Rumble 03 and how rowdy the crowd went when he won the Rumble a year later and how crazed MSG went for him when he won the world title. It wasn't his fault the WWE didn't know how to book wrestling into it's Sports Entertainment anymore, he might have succeeded even more. So with that in mind Benoit is a 7.5.

As for Steve Corino, fuck Steve Corino. He's a 5. He could talk a little but was sad in the ring.

Bad News Allen/Brown

Reaction score
I've seen him in a few WWE PPVs and he looked like a good solid worker. I will give him a 5/10. The last I can remember, He didn't have too much charisma.

Next Wrestler: Rick Martel.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
We already did Rick Martel.

So uh, Jesse Neal, 4, little talent, horrible promo skills, and not to big of a fan on his look either.

next: MEH..... John Cena (Prepares to die)